Completly passive pc

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liquidshark

Completly passive pc

Post by liquidshark » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:34 am

Hi could you plz reccomend me parts for a completly passive pc ?

NeilBlanchard

Re: Completly passive pc

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:37 am

You are going to have to provide a lot more detail - how are you going to use this machine? Do you have size and / or cost limitations?

liquidshark

Post by liquidshark » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 am

I am so very sorry. First time in forums. Well i want a as passive as possible pc no particular reason! I am willing to pay 700 dollar max. And i want it for casual gaming like dota lol the highest demanding game is skyrim no mods and asseto corsa

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:12 am

It is relatively difficult to build an passive pc and keep the temperatures under control in all circumstances, it needs a lot more than simply choosing some components, bolt them together and be successful. The generated heat has to go somewhere. If you add one or more slow running fans the heat is easily moved away from your system. This is not an passive system, but it can be almost silent.
The question is if you want an silent pc or an passive one. Also passive is more expensive than (almost) silent.

nagi

Post by nagi » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:25 pm

sjoukew wrote:The question is if you want an silent pc or an passive one. Also passive is more expensive than (almost) silent.
Let's say that if you want to game, a truly passive system is massively harder and more expensive. Unless the game in question is solitaire. ;)

But more to the point: liquidshark, you did not even specify if you have any extra parts from previous PCs, like an SSD, a good case, PSU, how much memory you want, etc. Or what performance you want skyrim/AC/Dota to run at. I mean, there is quite a difference between 30 and 60 fps for instance, or the desired quality settings. Your could go through reviews (ask friends, etc) and selecting a GPU for instance. That would give an outline to the project. I mean, if even the integrated GPU from an Intel chip is enough, the system is quite easy to put together, if you can source the parts.

And yes, slowly spinning fans are virtually inaudible if everything goes well.