mATX case that can handle some heat + PSU

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

mATX case that can handle some heat + PSU

Post by shleepy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:32 pm

I currently have a setup with a mATX motherboard, quad-core Haswell-E CPU, GTX980, m.2 SSD, and a 2.5" SSD, as outlined in my older thread about which heatsink to get. I ended up with a Phoenix Pandora case and Noctua NH-C14S cooler... but I have to admit that this setup gets too warm, sometimes to a worrying extent.

A relative would like me to build a new (much less hot) PC for him, so I would like to take the opportunity to give him my current case and PSU, and upgrade my case to something that can dissipate the heat a bit better. My current PSU actually seems OK, but I'll keep it together with the case and get something even nicer.

Assuming that price is not a big issue (let's say <$200 for the case and <$150 for the PSU), what are some good options? I don't expect full silence, but need something that can comfortably fit the NH-C14S cooler, preferably with two fans, and can help me get rid of some of that heat!

My wants/needs/nice-to-haves for the case:
  • mATX-compatible... preferably relatively compact, or at least smaller than a full-size ATX tower case
  • Roomy enough for NH-C14S with two fans (142mm + some room to spare)
  • Roomy enough for GTX980 (~280mm?)
  • Don't need optical drives
  • Only need room for one 2.5mm SSD (and thus don't care about HDD vibration reduction, secure mounting, etc.)
  • At least a couple of USB 3.0 ports... preferably at the top of the case
  • Quality/number of included fans not a big deal; I have some good, spare 120mm/140mm ones sitting around, and can buy some more if needed
  • Ideally has a clever design and/or good filters for avoiding dust going through the top of the case (e.g., I was a big fan of the Fractal Define XL case I used to have, with the tilted top fan that would push air to the back and avoided having an opening on top)
  • Maybe has a design that would be optimal with a top-down cooler like the NH-C14S?
  • Doesn't look terribly ugly by my standards
My wants/needs/nice-to-haves for the PSU:
  • Fits inside of the case
  • Has enough wattage and connectors for the system, with some "room to spare;" I expect to upgrade the CPU to a more powerful one in a year or so, and may eventually upgrade the GPU or possibly get a second GTX980
  • Minimal risk of coil whine
  • At least a couple of USB 3.0 ports... preferably at the top of the case
Digging around the forums and old reviews, some options that I found for cases are:
  • Fractal FT03 - seems to have some mixed reviews... perhaps not great for a hot system?
  • Silverstone TJ08B-E - might be a bit too ugly for me, and I'm a little worried about dust being sucked in from the top
  • Fractal Define Mini - possibly exactly what I want, assuming the top filter is good
  • Aerocool DS Cube - I don't see much mention of it on SPCR, but it seems to fit my requirements
Some PSU options:
  • Enermax Platimax?
  • Something by EVGA?
  • Something by be quiet! (?)
Thanks for your help and recommendations!

Abula

Re: mATX case that can handle some heat + PSU

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Fractal FT03 - seems to have some mixed reviews... perhaps not great for a hot system?
Personally i dont see it too practical, and never seen comments about it to able to handle heat efficiently, its more a novelty in design than a practical case, at least to me.
Fractal Define Mini - possibly exactly what I want, assuming the top filter is good
Its a great case, but to me its biggest flaw its that its big, people that usually go with micro atx are bacause they want a noticeble smaller case, and with the mini its very similar in size to the R4, its more just the two PCI slot off, to me its not worth buidling on it, if this is your liking go into R5.
Aerocool DS Cube - I don't see much mention of it on SPCR, but it seems to fit my requirements
To me one of the coolest looking and design micro atx cases, the front seems a little restrictive, but i never own one to say how good or bad will it cool. This would be my pick if i were to chose on looks. Btw for this case i would chose the Thermalright Macho RevB, that comes with the TY147A its a fan that can be undervolted with FanXpert via PWM to 350rpms, its cheaper than Noctua and will look better, specially the nickel plated with white and black fan. I leave you a picture on the case on the none ionized version for you to see how it fits.

Silverstone TJ08B-E - might be a bit too ugly for me, and I'm a little worried about dust being sucked in from the top
Chose this if you were to follow your thread tittle, "mATX case that can handle some heat". I have owned a TJ08-E where i used the hottest GPU ever created, the infamus GTX480, and the case handle it fine, its a little beast, maybe its ugly, but to me it has character and by far the most efficient cooling of what you have listed, the SPCR review gives it the Editors choice practically into how well it can cool even at low rpms. The case has had a huge fan base in OCN, the case simply is well design in many aspects, not only cooling, for a lot of poeple going into a smaller factor is because you want a smaller overall PC, and this is what you get with the TJ08-E.

The TJ08-E can pack a very high end setup and still handle it quietly, the AP181 is not silent, even undervolted to the max, you still hear a wosh close enough, but its more the frontal mesh + filter that creates this, as the AP181 outside at 450rpm is quiet (again not silent). Be sure to consider a motherboard that can help you undervolt it, as even at the Low setting on the switch its still runs at 900rpms where its very loud, but Asus motherboard with FanXpert should take it below 500rpms, where to me its a very good place to be at idle, and you can ramp it some as your setup is loaded. If you are not happy with the AP181, you can always upgrade it to the AP182 which with a fanxpert motherboard can be drop off to 200rpms, you can read more in Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182

If you wish to read more about the case, i would recommend you spend some time OCN Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club, in there you will find tons of builds, even builds that i would never though were possible on such a small case, but proves its a very verstile small case. You can find builds like iamdjango post post #5264, where you can see a Phantek Twin tower and with a Prolimatech MK-26 Multi-VGA Cooler for the GPU cooler, all of this fitted on the PS07 (which is same size as the TJ08-E).
Some PSU options:
Enermax Platimax?
Something by EVGA?
Something by be quiet! (?)
On the TJ08-E its kidna important to have a not so big PSU, as it will interfere if you ever use the 5.25, my recommendation is not to exceed 170mm, one PSU that its a very good option for this case would be EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2, its based on the Superflower Platinum Leadex, which imo its one of the best atm, its a semi passive PSU and at that price to me its the best option out there, if you wish to read more check JonnyGuru Reviews - EVGA Supernova P2 650W.
Silverstone TJ08B-E - might be a bit too ugly for me, and I'm a little worried about dust being sucked in from the top
The ugly is in the eye of the beholder, about the dust being sucked on the top TJ08-E has a magnetic fan filter on the top and its a case design to have positive pressure with the big 180mm AP181, i never had issues with dust on my 3 years of use, not to say it wont enter, but to me the included fan filters do an adecuate job, still some dust will get in, there is no case that has fans that will not have some dust entering, but to me was pretty decent.

Has enough wattage and connectors for the system, with some "room to spare;" I expect to upgrade the CPU to a more powerful one in a year or so, and may eventually upgrade the GPU or possibly get a second GTX980
I wouldn't recommend a SLI setup on micro ATX, if more gpu power is on your short term horizon, i would recommend either to wait for Nvidia Pascal that should be coming around mid 2016 and has rumors of being a good leap, or invest in a better case oriented for SLI, like the Silverstone FT05 you can read more on SPCR Quiet SLI Gaming PC Build Guide, btw for being an ATX is not that big, its smaller than the R5, probably around the size of the Fractal Define Mini.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks, Abula! That's a lot of good suggestions. A "not huge" ATX tower case like the FT05 could certainly be an option.

To clarify, I already have all of the aforementioned parts put together, and I'm hoping to just switch out the case and PSU. I got the Noctua heatsink because it seemed like the best option that could just-barely fit into the Bitfenix case, but now I'm regretting the choice of case and heatsink. I guess I could also switch out the heatsink, if it would be a big improvement over the current one, but I'd just like to avoid that extra expense. Also, it's pretty unlikely that I'd go for SLI, even in the long run, but I'd want to keep the option open, just in case; I suspect that used GTX980's will keep quickly dropping in value, so I could potentially get for a second one for cheap in the future. Also, I have absolutely no plans of ever needing a 5.25" or 3.5" slot, so I'm certainly fine with taking out any drive cages and whatnot, if it helps to make room for a PSU or opens up some airflow.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Doing a little more research, I'm leaning towards either the TJ08-E as a small and relatively cheap option, or else the FT05 for pure performance. Size-wise, the main difference between them is height, and I don't mind that. (Besides, the FT05 is a nice-looking monolith of a case.)

Not sure yet about the PSU... I wish it was still possible to find a Kingwin LZP-750 (for a reasonable price) somewhere. :( I had it in my previous desktop, and I loved it. Seems like 600W should be more than enough for my current build, even if I do eventually get a second GTX980, right?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:05 pm

shleepy wrote:Doing a little more research, I'm leaning towards either the TJ08-E as a small and relatively cheap option, or else the FT05 for pure performance. Size-wise, the main difference between them is height, and I don't mind that. (Besides, the FT05 is a nice-looking monolith of a case.)
Both are good cases, but keep in mind this are more airflow oriented cases, and thus if the fans are loud you will hear them easily, you will need to switch the AP181 to low (manual switch) and then undervolt them heavily. And on SLI dont expect a high end setup to be wisper quiet, specially while gaming, i manage to bring down mine to tolerable levels, but if i load my GPUs it will be noticeble, not anyoing nor unberable, but i do hear them.
shleepy wrote:Not sure yet about the PSU... I wish it was still possible to find a Kingwin LZP-750 (for a reasonable price) somewhere. :( I had it in my previous desktop, and I loved it. Seems like 600W should be more than enough for my current build, even if I do eventually get a second GTX980, right?
IIRC the LZP-750 was also based on superflower platinum probably also on the leadex, just from what i remember used to have certain things different, like some caps were lower. I think you should be happy with the EVGA in eco mode, if you read jonnyguru review, you will see comments like
In what comes as no surprise to me after all this time of looking at EVGA's units, the P2 650 watt model is one fantastic performer. It has some of the lowest ripple I've ever seen, it's as stable as I've ever seen, and it runs so cool it hardly ever needs to turn the fan on. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a computer right over here with EVGA's name on it.
Now about the wattage.... it really depends, there is no lower than 650 on EVGA P2, so thats what i would recommend for single gpu setup, now for two, i personally prefer to have a little overhead, reason why i chose 860W, i havent measure lately but i didnt break 500W on games like LOL/WOW, but i bet harder to drive games will push me over. I would recommend to step up to the 750W version if you do plan to have SLI somewhere in the future.

Now my recommendation is to avoid if possible SLI, it works great though, i have no complains, but you usually have to wait for drivers being optimized for SLI for certain games, you need an extra fase of support, and you still have issues like micro stuttering or bugs that single card users avoid, not to say the first gpu runs hotter always. If you are not entering 4k gaming or 1440p 144hz gaming, i would suggest to remain on single gpu for as long as you can, and even if its cheaper to get a second card over time, Noise wise its best to remain on single gpu, you can even go into coolers like MK26 that will handle any gpu you throw on it at very low rpms, but does take a lot of space. But all in life are tradeoffs, really depends into what you are willing to take vs how much you are willing to pay. Im happy with my SLI as it is, but first chance i get to go down to one card, ill take it, but probably wont happen short term, we might start to see higher refresh rate 4k monitors as time goes by.... thus the need for more gpu power will continue to grow, probably even in less than 3 years we might start seeing 8k..... who knows, so im preparing to sustian the SLI if thats my path, im even starting to research watercooling components, as its something i always wanted to try, and probably will end up quieter on a multi gpu setup, but will see... for now im happy as how everything is working.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks again, Abula! I'm going with an FT05 and an EVGA P2 PSU.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm

shleepy wrote:Thanks again, Abula! I'm going with an FT05 and an EVGA P2 PSU.
Remember with the FT05 you will need to switch the fans to low and then undervolt heavy, try to drop them to 450rpms or so, else they will be noticeable. Suggested you use a Asus motherboard to undervolt them easily, with fanXpert.

On the PSU it has a switch, test it both ways, but i believe eco on is the one that will run passive most of the time.

And be prepared to put some time on the cable management, if there is a weakness on the case is the lack of space on the back and way to tie up stuff, it can be done, but you do have to put some effort.