Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design case

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klappa

Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design case

Post by klappa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 am

The holes on the back of my Super Flower power supply doesn't match the holes on the Fractal Design R5 i have. It makes me insane! I thought they were built on the same standard? According to the product page the supply is EPS standard (http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products ... n=13&ID=79) if that's make any difference? I have not found anything on the R5 which standards it supports.

Thanks for any help and input!

EDIT: i found out the problem it should be upside down however a passive power supply shall not be place upside down so it's completely incompatible with my case. Bollocks!

edh

Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design

Post by edh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Drilling out a few holes shouldn't be hard to switch it over. Alternatively use a LianLi PSU mounting bracket and some cutting. There's a few mods you could do.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am

I assume that it will end up in the bottom of the case, with the heatsink facing up? That should be fine, as it will put the heatsink where it gets the most airflow.

klappa

Post by klappa » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 am

Mr Evil wrote:I assume that it will end up in the bottom of the case, with the heatsink facing up? That should be fine, as it will put the heatsink where it gets the most airflow.
Sorry for a late reply. The problem is that the holes of my Super Flower passive PSU won't fit with the upside facing up in my Fractal Design R5. I thought everything was standardized?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 am

I don't understand your problem. The Define R5 is supposed to allows mounting of the PSU in either direction you choose.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 am

Yeah, it should fit. :?: Some images.
SF-500P14FG.jpg
Fractal.Design.R5.White.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klappa

Post by klappa » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Vicotnik wrote:Yeah, it should fit. :?: Some images.
SF-500P14FG.jpg
Fractal.Design.R5.White.jpg
Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

klappa wrote:Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.
Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.

klappa

Post by klappa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 am

Abula wrote:

Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.
Different holes on the case? There's only one place i can place my PSU and that's on the bottom of the case. The four holes on the PSU doesn't match the holes on the R5. I will have to buy another case instead. If i could fit this PSU on a Antec case the Fractal Design support is lying.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 am

The mounting holes in the case are diagonally mirrored, so if the PSU doesn't fit in one direction it shouldn't fit in the other either.

Coming to think of it though... ther might be one reason the PSU can't be mounted either way:
The mounting holes are not centered on the PSU, so it needs more (mounting) room on the fan side.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am

klappa, if you could post a picture that might help.

klappa

Post by klappa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 am

Olle P wrote:The mounting holes in the case are diagonally mirrored, so if the PSU doesn't fit in one direction it shouldn't fit in the other either.

Coming to think of it though... ther might be one reason the PSU can't be mounted either way:
The mounting holes are not centered on the PSU, so it needs more (mounting) room on the fan side.
I can't understand what you mean. I posted pictures below to better explain my problem. There are no manoeuvre with the PSU at the sides at all because of that metalbar from the case which holds the PSU in place.
Vicotnik wrote:klappa, if you could post a picture that might help.
The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/Re2E4

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am

Abula wrote:

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that the "wrong" holes in a case permitting reverse PSU mounting almost lined up with some of the ventilation holes in the PSU. Meanwhile, the correct mounting holes in the case didn't even look like holes, because they were open on one side. A user who didn't know the ATX standard like the back of their hand might assume that the screws didn't fit...

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am

klappa wrote:The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

Yeah, the holes are not aligned properly. But it's not far, you can clearly see the screw holes. I bet you could screw it in there, despite the 1-2mm misalignment. Aim the screws from the side with the PSU not pushed all the way against the case and you should be able to get the screw to pull.

klappa

Post by klappa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Mr Evil wrote:
Abula wrote:

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that the "wrong" holes in a case permitting reverse PSU mounting almost lined up with some of the ventilation holes in the PSU. Meanwhile, the correct mounting holes in the case didn't even look like holes, because they were open on one side. A user who didn't know the ATX standard like the back of their hand might assume that the screws didn't fit...
I don't follow you but i know what you mean that they're not fully holes but open on one side. Don't permit me to screw them in though either way. There's too much missalignment.
Vicotnik wrote:
klappa wrote:The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

Yeah, the holes are not aligned properly. But it's not far, you can clearly see the screw holes. I bet you could screw it in there, despite the 1-2mm misalignment. Aim the screws from the side with the PSU not pushed all the way against the case and you should be able to get the screw to pull.
As above there's a too little exposed to try that sort of thing. It looks worse in reality. On the picture it looks like that would really work but they won't. Actually i haven't tried to flip the PSU to see if the holes actually align. But would that matter? Vertically they do align but not Horizontally.

I can't understand how Fractal Design would construct anything so faulty.