It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design case
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
The holes on the back of my Super Flower power supply doesn't match the holes on the Fractal Design R5 i have. It makes me insane! I thought they were built on the same standard? According to the product page the supply is EPS standard (http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products ... n=13&ID=79) if that's make any difference? I have not found anything on the R5 which standards it supports.

Thanks for any help and input!

EDIT: i found out the problem it should be upside down however a passive power supply shall not be place upside down so it's completely incompatible with my case. Bollocks!

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: UK
Drilling out a few holes shouldn't be hard to switch it over. Alternatively use a LianLi PSU mounting bracket and some cutting. There's a few mods you could do.

_________________
Raijintek Metis: i5-6400, Scythe Ninja 4, Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, 8Gb RAM, GTX 950, Crucial 250Gb M.2, Seasonic X-400


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 566
Location: UK
I assume that it will end up in the bottom of the case, with the heatsink facing up? That should be fine, as it will put the heatsink where it gets the most airflow.

_________________
https://mrevil.asvachin.eu/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
Mr Evil wrote:
I assume that it will end up in the bottom of the case, with the heatsink facing up? That should be fine, as it will put the heatsink where it gets the most airflow.


Sorry for a late reply. The problem is that the holes of my Super Flower passive PSU won't fit with the upside facing up in my Fractal Design R5. I thought everything was standardized?

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 am
Posts: 472
Location: Sweden
I don't understand your problem. The Define R5 is supposed to allows mounting of the PSU in either direction you choose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Posts: 1771
Location: Sweden
Yeah, it should fit. :?: Some images.

Attachment:
SF-500P14FG.jpg


Attachment:
Fractal.Design.R5.White.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
Vicotnik wrote:
Yeah, it should fit. :?: Some images.

Attachment:
SF-500P14FG.jpg


Attachment:
Fractal.Design.R5.White.jpg


Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Guatemala
klappa wrote:
Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.
Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.

_________________
GameMiv3 >> AsRock H170 Pro4 | Intel Core i7-6700K | Prolimatech Genesis + 2x Thermalright TY-147A | Kingston HyperX FURY 64GB DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | Acer Predator XB321HK 4K IPS Gsync | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | SimMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
Abula wrote:
klappa wrote:
Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.
Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.


Different holes on the case? There's only one place i can place my PSU and that's on the bottom of the case. The four holes on the PSU doesn't match the holes on the R5. I will have to buy another case instead. If i could fit this PSU on a Antec case the Fractal Design support is lying.

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 am
Posts: 472
Location: Sweden
The mounting holes in the case are diagonally mirrored, so if the PSU doesn't fit in one direction it shouldn't fit in the other either.

Coming to think of it though... ther might be one reason the PSU can't be mounted either way:
The mounting holes are not centered on the PSU, so it needs more (mounting) room on the fan side.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Posts: 1771
Location: Sweden
klappa, if you could post a picture that might help.

_________________
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
Olle P wrote:
The mounting holes in the case are diagonally mirrored, so if the PSU doesn't fit in one direction it shouldn't fit in the other either.

Coming to think of it though... ther might be one reason the PSU can't be mounted either way:
The mounting holes are not centered on the PSU, so it needs more (mounting) room on the fan side.


I can't understand what you mean. I posted pictures below to better explain my problem. There are no manoeuvre with the PSU at the sides at all because of that metalbar from the case which holds the PSU in place.

Vicotnik wrote:
klappa, if you could post a picture that might help.


The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/Re2E4

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 566
Location: UK
Abula wrote:
klappa wrote:
Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.
Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that the "wrong" holes in a case permitting reverse PSU mounting almost lined up with some of the ventilation holes in the PSU. Meanwhile, the correct mounting holes in the case didn't even look like holes, because they were open on one side. A user who didn't know the ATX standard like the back of their hand might assume that the screws didn't fit...

_________________
https://mrevil.asvachin.eu/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Posts: 1771
Location: Sweden
klappa wrote:
The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/Re2E4

Yeah, the holes are not aligned properly. But it's not far, you can clearly see the screw holes. I bet you could screw it in there, despite the 1-2mm misalignment. Aim the screws from the side with the PSU not pushed all the way against the case and you should be able to get the screw to pull.

_________________
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super Flower power supply doesn't fit my Fractal Design
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 41
Mr Evil wrote:
Abula wrote:
klappa wrote:
Thanks but it doesn't.

The two right screws doesn't fit. Super Flower says they're following the ATX-standard and Fractal Design says they also following the ATX-standard so i don't know who's right.
Not implying by the following that you are not right, but have you tested the different holes on the case? not all holes need to be used and not all holes always are used when you flip the PSU, what im trying to say is maybe you are trying to fit a hole that its not meant to be used on the orientation you want.

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that the "wrong" holes in a case permitting reverse PSU mounting almost lined up with some of the ventilation holes in the PSU. Meanwhile, the correct mounting holes in the case didn't even look like holes, because they were open on one side. A user who didn't know the ATX standard like the back of their hand might assume that the screws didn't fit...


I don't follow you but i know what you mean that they're not fully holes but open on one side. Don't permit me to screw them in though either way. There's too much missalignment.

Vicotnik wrote:
klappa wrote:
The pictures were too big to post here so i link them instead. It may look like the left side holes are completely exposed but they too are not completely exposed even though they are more exposed than the right side.

https://imgur.com/a/Re2E4

Yeah, the holes are not aligned properly. But it's not far, you can clearly see the screw holes. I bet you could screw it in there, despite the 1-2mm misalignment. Aim the screws from the side with the PSU not pushed all the way against the case and you should be able to get the screw to pull.


As above there's a too little exposed to try that sort of thing. It looks worse in reality. On the picture it looks like that would really work but they won't. Actually i haven't tried to flip the PSU to see if the holes actually align. But would that matter? Vertically they do align but not Horizontally.

I can't understand how Fractal Design would construct anything so faulty.

_________________
ghj


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group