Silencing even further an already very silent high end pc

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TudorBuda

Silencing even further an already very silent high end pc

Post by TudorBuda » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:18 am

i have a i5 4690k on Asus Z97-K with Prolimatech Genesis (fanless), EVGA 980 ti SC (reference model) with Prolimatech Mk-26, with two Noctua pwm 1 NF-s12 which can start at 320 rpm and one NF-P12 that starts at around 600 rpm
2 case fans, 140mm NF- P14 redux 1200 rpm that starts at 320 rpm, on the back, but also pushing inside the case, like the front intake, NF-P14, the round frame one, that also starts at 320 rpm. I chose this 2x push in fans because this way i can obtain positive pressure inside the case, almost no dust considering that both of the intakes are filtered and the air is being evacuated through the top, due to air pressure and natural air convection. I chose the Corsair AX1200i psu because it`s fan has never turned on, regardless of how far i`ve pushed the pc, and the Corsair Air 540, even if it isn`t a "silent" case, but it provides lots of unrestricted airflow, which is crucial when i want all the fans under 500 rpm.
As you can tell, ultra silent is what i`m going for. i`ve studied the problem alot, i`ve owned lots of cooling solutions and this one is by far the best one (includind AIO from Corsair). For an example of noise tolerance, i found the NF-A14 PWM to be too loud at 600 rpm and after removing them, the reference 980 ti turbine fan at idle speed (1050 rpm) was the loudest part in my pc. Solved that too with the Prolimatech Mk-26.

After the long story i`m getting to my "problems": i want a dead silent pc in idle. It stays on 24/7 in my bedroom, so when i`m sleeping 1m away from it, i don`t want to hear anything.
For this, i have to completely stop both the case fans and the gpu fans. Very large heatsinks and natural air convection is enough.
I couldn`t do it with the MB bios settings, both chasis fans stay at ~300 rpm, no matter what. I tried to install Asus Fan Mate/expert, but it seems it`s not supported.
2 - so far, the only way to completely stop the gpu fans is by a Scythe manual fan controller, but i don`t want that. i want an automatized system. It is possible with other 980 Ti with custom coolings (msi, evga ACX, etc) so it has to work with my even bigger Mk-26. The GPU stays at~40c in desktop use and i can even play light games (like Dota2) in passive mode, but it reaches 90c and throttles. I would like to set it to passive untill 60c, then fans should auto-start at 350 rpm, then full speed (my full speed is 600 rpm smile.gif ) at 80c. I connected the gpu to the 2 fans via the Y splitter/adapter to mini 4 pin pwm provided in the MK-26 package but the fans speed up to 1050 rpm, like the minimum speed of the small turbine fan. i can`t control them at all with MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision. Will it be fixed with a firmware flash of the gpu to the ACX model? Or can i control it with Speedfan, through a motherboard pwm slot, so that it acts by reading the gpu temeperature, and can i make that custom fan curve i was talking about?
i have 3 fan headers on the mobo. I would use one with Y splitter for the two case fans, one for the GPU and another one on the top for exhaust, when the cpu exceeds 60c.
Within a year, it`s possible to add another 980 Ti and change the motherboard with another one that supports SLI. The next one will be a custom cooled one because two Mk-26, even with Prolimatech Super Sleek fans is a very thight fit. Also, i don`t think i can find a very long and flexible SLI bridge, to go over the MK-26.

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted you to understand the situation completely.

Thank you in advance!

quest_for_silence

Re: Silencing even further an already very silent high end p

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:39 am

TudorBuda wrote:Or can i control it with Speedfan, through a motherboard pwm slot, so that it acts by reading the gpu temeperature, and can i make that custom fan curve i was talking about?

This one.

Abula

Re: Silencing even further an already very silent high end p

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:33 am

TudorBuda wrote:Asus Z97-K
I tried to install Asus Fan Mate/expert, but it seems it`s not supported.
All asus motherboard should support Asus FanXpert, you need to go into your motherboard page and go into support (use internet explorer, chrome sometimes blocks going to this page), click on drivers and tools, then select your OS, then under utilities download AI Suite, once you install it it should have fanxpert inside.
so far, the only way to completely stop the gpu fans is by a Scythe manual fan controller, but i don`t want that. i want an automatized system. It is possible with other 980 Ti with custom coolings (msi, evga ACX, etc) so it has to work with my even bigger Mk-26.
You will need a custom bios for you to allow this behavior, and flashing vbios there is always the risk of bricking your card or that the card dont accept the settings you flashed to.

You also need to do other things to work
1) Crosscheck then fans you are using can stop, not all PWM fans can stop, this can be easily done with FanXpert tunning.
2) Not sure if you are plugging your fans to your GPU, else you need to buy a 4pin GPU PWM adapter to 4pin stardard PWM adapter.
3) Test if you can control the fans, in most cases the PWM design of the GPUs is not standard, and thus the gpus cant cotrol the fans as the motherboard does. On my accelero III i coudlnt get the GPU to control the fans, but was fixed on the Accelero IV, something of the PWM design needed a change that was done on the Accelero IV.

As an alternative, the NF-S12 are fans that can drop extremely low, i from what i tested was sub 200rpms, if you cant control them via GPU, use FanXpert and motherboard headers to drop them as low as you can when not in use, and you can ramp them higher if you are going to play.