Quiet ITX for 1080p projector gaming (Node 304)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pdxnrd

Quiet ITX for 1080p projector gaming (Node 304)

Post by pdxnrd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi everyone! I'm putting together my first PC in years, for 1080p gaming on my projector. I want it to be ~$1000 usd and very cool/quiet as it will be in my living room media center. I'd like to be able to play most new games at 1080p on medium/high settings at 60fps+. This is what I have so far, any advice is appreciated:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.93 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $876.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-17 02:19 EDT-0400

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet ITX for 1080p projector gaming (Node 304)

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:51 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Here's my standard questions for a media center build:
- Will the case be in an enclosure?
- If so, is it closed or open and how much space will there be between the enclosure and the case (on all sides)?
- How far will you be sitting from the PC?

Node 304: Nice case. Things to look out for..
- feet are short. Only 10mm clearance for PSU intake. Might want to buy taller feet.
- Potential for PSU cabling interferance with gfx card. I'm short on time and can't look into it further right now...the Asus Strix is a fairly short card, so maybe not a problem.
- Asus 960 STRIX has some height above it's connector bracket. Need to make sure the case has clearance.
- Remove all the hard drive cages for better airflow. Either velcro or thermal tape the SSD to a Case side.

CPU: If you have $20 more bucks, consider the i5-6600 for the slight bump in base speed and turbo. Many games benefit from faster clock.

Kotetsu: fine cooler. Double check for clearance between it and gfx card.

SSD: fine SSD. Are you sure 250GB is enough for your games?

PSU: Very quiet for lower loads. Has a steep fan ramp as it approaches 200W. The good news is a very heavy gaming load with your setup will draw ~180-190W. So, fan rpm still 600-800rpm. Shouldn't be audible vs the noisier component (gfx card)...and my guess is if you are gaming in a media room, it'll be with speakers on full.

pdxnrd

Post by pdxnrd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Steve, thanks!
Will the case be in an enclosure?
Yes, I'm planning on putting it in my credenza/media center.
If so, is it closed or open and how much space will there be between the enclosure and the case (on all sides)?
It will be completely open in the front, but enclosed on all other sides. It is a fairly large shelf/enclosure with plenty of room in the back and sides of the case, but only a few inches above it. However, I can remove a shelf if necessary for airflow.
How far will you be sitting from the PC?
I'll be sitting about 10ft away when I'm gaming. However I will also do some gaming and a lot of movie watching about 20ft away. I will probably leave the machine on 24/7 so idle temp/power consumption and stability are very important.
Are you sure 250GB is enough for your games?
I may change that to the 500GB, but I have a 1TB 2.5" hybrid drive sitting around, and I'm thinking I may build a NAS eventually.

I'm also considering a GTX970, as it seems to have similar heat/power characteristics with a significant performance increase. Thoughts?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:02 am

pdxnrd wrote:Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)

I'd avoid Gigabyte for quiet computing, and that Gigabyte particularly (rather on the hot-side and not that power efficient on load).
The ASUS Z170I Pro would be the way to go: you might check cheaper options like ASUS H170I Plus D3, ASRock H170M-ITX/ac, MSI H170I Pro AC.

pdxnrd wrote:Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Avoid: I don't know whether it fits, it's overrated, with unsecure over temperature protection and noisy as soon as the ambient temp rise.
Cooler Master VSM 650W, Corsair RM550x, EVGA 650 GS, EVGA 650 G2, those are the units you might look at in this moment (the Corsair should be quietest, whether it fits).

You might need a 140mm PWM fan, as well as 92mm ones and a PWM splitter.

pdxnrd

Post by pdxnrd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 pm

I'd avoid Gigabyte for quiet computing, and that Gigabyte particularly (rather on the hot-side and not that power efficient on load).
The ASUS Z170I Pro would be the way to go: you might check cheaper options like ASUS H170I Plus D3, ASRock H170M-ITX/ac, MSI H170I Pro AC.
I don't think I need any of the features of a Z170 board, so I'm leaning towards the MSI H170l Pro AC. How do you know that Gigabyte board runs hot? It's hard to find that kind of info about ITX boards.

I'll switch the PSU out for the Corsair RM550x, thanks for the recommendation.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:46 pm

It will be completely open in the front, but enclosed on all other sides. It is a fairly large shelf/enclosure with plenty of room in the back and sides of the case, but only a few inches above it. However, I can remove a shelf if necessary for airflow.
That's a danger sign with a gaming build. The exhaust heat will have nowhere to go other than to remix with the intake. It'll slowly raise the ambient temps in the enclosure and bake the PC. You'll want to provide a large rear opening in the enclosure.

GTX 970 (145W TDP) vs 960 (120W) at 1080p - What are your games? Many max out with the '960 at 1080p. Also, next gen gpu's due out this summer/fall are expected to have significant improvements in fps/watt. So, a future "GTX 1060" may have >'970 performance for <100W.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:13 pm

pdxnrd wrote:I'm leaning towards the MSI H170l Pro AC.

I adviced you to check all those boards, because I didn't: I meant to check both pricing and info about (for instance the online manual/reviews/forum, particularly about cooling control of the various boards).

pdxnrd wrote:How do you know that Gigabyte board runs hot? It's hard to find that kind of info about ITX boards.

Because it has the same layout, power circuitry and cooling of the Z170 sibling, already reviewed by SPCR.

Image Image

pdxnrd

Post by pdxnrd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:22 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
That's a danger sign with a gaming build. The exhaust heat will have nowhere to go other than to remix with the intake. It'll slowly raise the ambient temps in the enclosure and bake the PC. You'll want to provide a large rear opening in the enclosure.
If necessary I'll find another place to put the machine if it's too hot in the credenza. Unfortunately cutting it isn't an option as it's a nice piece of furniture.
GTX 970 (145W TDP) vs 960 (120W) at 1080p - What are your games? Many max out with the '960 at 1080p. Also, next gen gpu's due out this summer/fall are expected to have significant improvements in fps/watt. So, a future "GTX 1060" may have >'970 performance for <100W.
Maybe I will stick with the 960 then, and if I'm unsatisfied I'll upgrade later.

nerdbot

Post by nerdbot » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I was thinking of a very, very similar build at one point but right now. I was going to use the MSI 960 twin frozr over the Strix 960 since this review found that it runs significantly quieter than the strix.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm

I like Lucas recommendation for motherboard, the ASRock H170M-ITX/DL would be my pick for Node304 build with no intentions of OCing.

But i disagree with Lucas on the PSU, in terms of Node304 does need a PSU that can fit, else you need to remove the PSU cage and in some cases zip time the PSU or secure it somehow. Seasonic G550/650 are one of the most used on Node304 builds, another is the Cooler Master V550S, i cant seem to find it anymore, but size wise the V550/650/750 seem the same, but careful its not the new fully modular but the semi modular, as the none modular end up the oposite to the GPU, thus allowing the cable to routed with the GPU in place.

Be sure to check the OCN [Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club, you will find tons of builds and ideas for yours there.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:39 am

Abula wrote:But i disagree with Lucas on the PSU, in terms of Node304 does need a PSU that can fit

Just for your information, as the G550 is 160mm long, the adviced units are <160mm of length, but the G2, which is just 5mm longer (165mm): advicing was based upon the actual, same day pcpartpicker pricing/availability (where the CM VSM are the VX50S you were used to know).
I also warned about fitting, but just because I recalled the 304 can have a lower PSU clearance than the proposed G550 length: so whether this one should fit, the other options should fit too (and particularly the RM550x).

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:But i disagree with Lucas on the PSU, in terms of Node304 does need a PSU that can fit

Just for your information, as the G550 is 160mm long, the adviced units are <160mm of length, but the G2, which is just 5mm longer (165mm): advicing was based upon the actual, same day pcpartpicker pricing/availability (where the CM VSM are the VX50S you were used to know).
I also warned about fitting, but just because I recalled the 304 can have a lower PSU clearance than the proposed G550 length
The problem is not the 160mm length its more the way the modular cable connectors are placed. The G550/650 works only because it has the modular connectors right on the edge, thus when you install the PSU fan bottom, the connectors end up below the GPU and thinking you still have the Motherboard height + PCIe height, in the majority of cases they don't have issues using the modular cables and the none modular cables end up opposed to the GPU, so unless the GPU goes the full length, that its very unlikely, the cables end up in the ideal place for routing them. The Coolermaster you suggested, also gets recommended a lot, V550S (semi modular), i believe since its 140mm depth it, so it might allow the use of the modular cables even if they are on the middle, and the none modular, as in the G550, end up opposed to the GPU. I no longer see the V550S available, but seems the V550/650/750 (semi modular) are the same in depth and placement of the modular, thus i think it will work fine also (though i would crosscheck before buying). Aside from those two, there was a Silverstone SFX that did fit but i dont see it recommended as much.
quest_for_silence wrote:the other options should fit too (and particularly the RM550x).
I see the specs of it being 160mm depth, but the problem that i see is the placement of the modular cables, from what i can tell they are on the middle, my guess is as with Seasonic X series, that are also 160mm depth with modular in the middle, that don't fit, unless you mod the bracket. Now new PSU come every year, so there might be more that play great with Node304, that i don't know, nor i seen recommended, but i would bet on either of the two that has been proven to fit great with a long GPU.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:44 am

Abula wrote:the problem that i see is the placement of the modular cables, from what i can tell they are on the middle, my guess is as with Seasonic X series, that are also 160mm depth with modular in the middle, that don't fit, unless you mod the bracket.

I see: yes, you have to remove the bracket and it's a tight fit:

Just as notes: along with the CM VSM, the EVGA GS in case has shorter (150mm) depth and a better fan profile than the old SS G F3 platform, while the longer EVGA G2 has most of the connectors placed as the G F3 does (but I didn't checked for images).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:03 am

Lucas i think the RM550x/650x are great choices, specially for someone building on the quiet side, but he will need to do some modding, mostly removing the PSU cage and find a way to secure the PSU, not that hard, but its not plug an play.