Wanting to build a powerful yet quiet gaming PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greydeathangel

Wanting to build a powerful yet quiet gaming PC

Post by Greydeathangel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently building a new PC, so that i could give my current one to the folks.
Here's a list that I have built up, but would like all your opinions on the parts list and maybe some suggestions on a better build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tp4pr7

I live in MN near Minneapolis, and would like to find similar (with the same if not better quality) parts locally.

I want to be able to play my games on 1-2 Acer GN246HL monitors at 1080p. (if i can find a similar sized monitor with audio, or at least a method to get audio from a XboxOne and cablebox that'd also be appreciated).

Games that I want to play are
- Fallout = fully modded preferably
- GTA V
- Titanfall 2 (since it needs direct x 12 that's the only reason i'm looking at W10 insteaf of 7)
- Gears of War 4
- Skyrim = also fully modded
- StarCraft 2
- Metal Gear Solid 5
- The Witcher 3
and so forth...I want to mod the crap out of my games so I would like some decent power, and still be quite silent so that i'm not driven nuts.

Any opinions that you people might have I'd appreciate,
Dave

Abula

Re: Wanting to build a powerful yet quiet gaming PC

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I would invest a little more on CPU cooler, Scythe Kotetsu $38.

I would also go with MSI GTX1070 instead of Gigabyte, but at the same time i dont think the Nano is a good idea for a twin fan card considering how close it is to the PSU, i would have love to see a reverse design of the mobo, but since it is like that i would probably go with another case.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Yeah, the lack of space between the PSU and gfx card cooler concerns me as well. Might cause the fans to run much faster than they need to if there was more clearance. Also, Fractal states max PSU length of 160mm and suggests shorter, this Seasonic OEM'ed PSU is 170mm. Might fit lengthwise if no bottom cooling going on..can't tell if there's another conflict. If you can live with a few more inches of height, there's the new Fractal Define Mini C. Much more roomy. Lots of reviews out there on the interweb.

A PSU alternative is the Corsair RM550x. Newegg has it for $77 if you want to deal with rebates.

Greydeathangel

Post by Greydeathangel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice.
I too was concerned about the GPU - PSU distance, and have thought of using a mini c style case as well. can i stick the SSD down in the drive cage at the bottom, and would that cause heat issues?

I like the idea of the scythe koutesu, does anyone know a good place to get them.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Amazon has the Kotetsu for $38 + shipping (or not if you have Prime).

SSD in cage in PSU tunnel vs behind the motherboard: mixed bag. I don't think it'd be a temp issue in either location. If you happen to run two fans in the front of the case, then there is some forced airflow past the drive cage. Downside to the drive cage is cramped PSU cabling.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm unsure if mounting SSDs directly behind the motherboard and CPU area is a good idea for temperatures, but judging by photos it is indeed cramped for PSU cables with the front drive cage. I've contacted Fractal Design about the Define C and the Mini to confirm it's possible to push the cage back if wanting to instead a lower front fan, but that would mean even less space is available.