Silent PC for gaming

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nobullypls

Silent PC for gaming

Post by nobullypls » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello.
I'm currently looking to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, RAM and case.

I'm going to get an i7-6700k or i7-7700k. My case will be a Define Mini C.

Please note that I will not be overclocking and noise is very important I want a silent PC.

I currently have an NH-U12s cooler and while I like it, I was considering getting a Cryorig H7.
A few reasons. I'm lazy (Plan on keeping it my other build). I'm also kind of thinking about making the inside kind of match. (As much as I love Noctua they're not good looking).

I hear the H7 is very similar to the NH-U12S, in both cooling and noise. Can someone confirm? Is it enough to cool a 6700k without OCing?

I also was curious which fans should I get? I'm considering just buying two Fractal R2 fans (140mm) for intake so it looks nice. What are some nice looking all black or black and white fans that are quiet?

Gunbuster

Re: Silent PC for gaming

Post by Gunbuster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 am

Hi, the H5 was reviewed http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html with a better fan its decent.

I would also have a look at SPCR fan guide: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

My favourite case fan thus far is a 140mm Bequiet. However my Fractal case fans ran for years before they started ticking. I have Phanteks 120mm fans, and they generate a bit more in the high end than my Bequiet, so same volume, but more irritating.

I've had a Define R2 (yes the first Define) for maybe 6 years. I am very bored with how it looks and the design now is ancient. However it is a solid case. If you like the look, I would recommend.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:20 am

nobullypls wrote:I'm also kind of thinking about making the inside kind of match. (As much as I love Noctua they're not good looking).

Then pick a Thermalright with a TY-147, either a Macho variant, or even a True Spirit 140 Power (if you rather the slim towers look) will be fine and with a somehow better sound signature than Cryorig fans.

nobullypls wrote:I also was curious which fans should I get?

The GP X2s of the Define C are at least good enough, likely no need to change. I hope you meant those fans when you wrote "Fractal R2", as these latters just don't cut anymore nowadays.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:54 am

Gunbuster wrote:Hi, the H5 was reviewed http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html with a better fan its decent.

I would also have a look at SPCR fan guide: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

My favourite case fan thus far is a 140mm Bequiet. However my Fractal case fans ran for years before they started ticking. I have Phanteks 120mm fans, and they generate a bit more in the high end than my Bequiet, so same volume, but more irritating.

I've had a Define R2 (yes the first Define) for maybe 6 years. I am very bored with how it looks and the design now is ancient. However it is a solid case. If you like the look, I would recommend.
Thanks. I'll look at it.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
nobullypls wrote:I'm also kind of thinking about making the inside kind of match. (As much as I love Noctua they're not good looking).

Then pick a Thermalright with a TY-147, either a Macho variant, or even a True Spirit 140 (if you rather the slim towers look) will be fine and with a somehow better sound signature than Cryorig fans.

nobullypls wrote:I also was curious which fans should I get?

The GP X2s of the Define C are at least good enough, likely no need to change. I hope you meant those fans when you wrote "Fractal R2", which just don't cut anymore nowadays.
Yeah, sorry.

I meant the Fractal Design R3 fans. These. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835352016

My case is going to be the Define Mini C.

As far as coolers go, I'm mainly getting the Cryorig for the colors. I think it looks really nice. Is it really that loud? I had a Hyper 212 Evo that was way too loud for my specific case then again the case I currently have doesn't do a great job of suppressing noise.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 am

nobullypls wrote:I'm going to get an i7-6700k or i7-7700k. ... Please note that I will not be overclocking and noise is very important...
Why opt for the K-versions without overclocking? The small increase in clock speed come at a high price.
To get the computer quiet it's essential to keep power consumption down, and I'd suggest either a non-K Core i7 or a Ryzen 5 to get essentially the same performance at reduced cost and noise.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:08 am

Gunbuster wrote:Hi, the H5 was reviewed http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html with a better fan its decent.

Thanks I'll look into it

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:09 am

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 3647vs3887

According to this it'd still be performance lost.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 am

nobullypls wrote:I meant the Fractal Design R3 fans. These. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835352016
Basically untested, and purposedly marketed by Fractal as cheap fans ("The Silent Series R3 fans are created for the budget conscious builder looking for a balanced and sturdy fan design, delivering precision at a good price point.").

nobullypls wrote:As far as coolers go, I'm mainly getting the Cryorig for the colors.
Which colors? I thought you were referring to the fans black'n'white scheme: TY-147 from Thermalright is also black and white.

nobullypls wrote:I think it looks really nice. Is it really that loud?
IMHO it's clearly not preferable (being the QF120 untested), but how much loud it is strictly depends of how you drive it, at about 300rpm it shouldn't be that bad.

nobullypls wrote:http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 3647vs3887

According to this it'd still be performance lost.
At a noticeable cost: it's a trade off.

BTW, IMO userbenchmark may be used as an handy, quick'n'dirty recap, but not as true, liable performance meter.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:55 pm

quest_for_silence wrote: Basically untested, and purposedly marketed by Fractal as cheap fans ("The Silent Series R3 fans are created for the budget conscious builder looking for a balanced and sturdy fan design, delivering precision at a good price point.").

Looks like I'll get the GP14s then.
quest_for_silence wrote: Which colors? I thought you were referring to the fans black'n'white scheme: TY-147 from Thermalright is also black and white.
I was looking at that one. The Cryorig H7 has a black and white fan.
quest_for_silence wrote: IMHO it's clearly not preferable (being the QF120 untested), but how much loud it is strictly depends of how you drive it, at about 300rpm it shouldn't be that bad.
I don't plan on controlling any fans honestly. My current CPU fan typically hangs around 400 RPM idle and 600 - 800 RPM in games. It's pretty quiet though. (NH-U12S)
quest_for_silence wrote: At a noticeable cost: it's a trade off.

BTW, IMO userbenchmark may be used as an handy, quick'n'dirty recap, but not as true, liable performance meter.
Yeah but would you say it'd just be better to get the 6700k. I can get one on Amazon for $305. The 6700 and 7700 are both around $285 - $300. I'd be saving $20 at the most.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 pm

nobullypls wrote:I don't plan on controlling any fans honestly. My current CPU fan typically hangs around 400 RPM idle and 600 - 800 RPM in games.

IMHO you should, or take into account you might end up to: as a matter of fact the Noctua fan is a proven solution, the Cryorig one is not (and if you look at other Cryorig coolers tested here, R1/C1/H5, they were a tad more noticeable in 600-800rpm than the best competitors).
At any rate, you have been advised to the best of our collective knowledge (or so about: that doesn't mean we're always right, at all), now just do what you think best. :wink:

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 am

nobullypls wrote:... it'd still be performance lost.
Which is what I stated too.
The price difference isn't just $20 if you include for example Ryzen 5 1600X in the options.

The key question is: - Can you make any use of that difference in performance?
When HardOCP compare hardware for gaming they deem one option to be better than the other only if it allows you to play a game at higher settings. If you have a specific monitor with fixed resolution that means you must find one CPU providing sufficiently high frame rates with higher image quality settings than the other CPU. If you can run all relevant games at maximum settings with any applicable CPU there's "no difference".

What other hardware do you have:
* Monitor resolution?
* Graphics card?
* Type of games played?

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:41 am

Why not get a Scythe Kotetsu? its the closest visually to the H7 on the SCPR list. Has a black top. The fan is less visually appealing yes, but it is the top currently tested single 120mm cooler on SCPR.

Its $5 more than the H7 on Amazon "Scythe Cooling Motherboard SCKTT-1000"

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 am

Olle P wrote:
nobullypls wrote:... it'd still be performance lost.
Which is what I stated too.
The price difference isn't just $20 if you include for example Ryzen 5 1600X in the options.

The key question is: - Can you make any use of that difference in performance?
When HardOCP compare hardware for gaming they deem one option to be better than the other only if it allows you to play a game at higher settings. If you have a specific monitor with fixed resolution that means you must find one CPU providing sufficiently high frame rates with higher image quality settings than the other CPU. If you can run all relevant games at maximum settings with any applicable CPU there's "no difference".

What other hardware do you have:
* Monitor resolution?
* Graphics card?
* Type of games played?
1920x1080 (BenQ xl2411z)
MSI 1060
I typically play BF1, Overwatch, etc. Newer and older titles.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 am

Gunbuster wrote:Why not get a Scythe Kotetsu? its the closest visually to the H7 on the SCPR list. Has a black top. The fan is less visually appealing yes, but it is the top currently tested single 120mm cooler on SCPR.

I was looking at that.

I guess you wouldn't recommend replacing the fan, right?

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am

nobullypls wrote:
Gunbuster wrote:Why not get a Scythe Kotetsu? its the closest visually to the H7 on the SCPR list. Has a black top. The fan is less visually appealing yes, but it is the top currently tested single 120mm cooler on SCPR.

I was looking at that.

I guess you wouldn't recommend replacing the fan, right?
Annoyingly Scythe's new fan isn't available on its own it looks pretty nice. https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mugen-Coo ... ex+120+PWM

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:56 am

The Kotetsu's fan doesn't need replacement.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 am

nobullypls wrote:1920x1080 (BenQ xl2411z)
MSI 1060
Similar to what I use (but 1920x1200).
Can play anything at "Ultra" with a 6600K CPU at stock settings, so you don't even need a Core i7.
I'm thinking about building a second gaming computer (for my son to use) and if so will move this Core i5 to that build and get an upgrade which will most likely be a Ryzen; 1600, 1600X or 1700. Ryzen because I want more computing power at a budget and exact model will depend on reviews after Ryzen 5 is released.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 am

Olle P wrote:
nobullypls wrote:1920x1080 (BenQ xl2411z)
MSI 1060
Similar to what I use (but 1920x1200).
Can play anything at "Ultra" with a 6600K CPU at stock settings, so you don't even need a Core i7.
I'm thinking about building a second gaming computer (for my son to use) and if so will move this Core i5 to that build and get an upgrade which will most likely be a Ryzen; 1600, 1600X or 1700. Ryzen because I want more computing power at a budget and exact model will depend on reviews after Ryzen 5 is released.
I was hoping the i7-6700k would drop to something like $280.

If not I planned on getting an i5-7600k or one of the AMD CPUs. Do you think a 7700 (non-k) would be better than an i5 for the price?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:36 am

For gaming @ 1080p 144Hz and a GTX 1060? Probably no discernable difference in gameplay between i5 and i7...except for very few CPU thread intensive games...and BF1/Overwatch aren't them.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:25 am

Hey guys, I decided to go with the 7700k, since I could get it new for $290 ($310, but I had a $20 coupon from Ebay). I also got the Scythe Kotetsu.

I was curious if you guys knew of any silent black fans or black and white fans. Do you think the default GP-12 Fractal fans will be good enough?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 am

nobullypls wrote:I was curious if you guys knew of any silent black fans or black and white fans. Do you think the default GP-12 Fractal fans will be good enough?
Nexus Real Silent Case Fan is a long standing SPCR reference for 120mm fans. If you rather the 140mm, the Thermalright TY-147 is a nice option, but it's a PWM fan (so you need a PWM header).

About the stock Fractal GP-12, it is enough good but it's an highly subjective matter, so that actually YMMV: give it a try before swapping anything.

Notwist

Post by Notwist » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:49 pm

nobullypls wrote:Hey guys, I decided to go with the 7700k, since I could get it new for $290 ($310, but I had a $20 coupon from Ebay). I also got the Scythe Kotetsu.

I was curious if you guys knew of any silent black fans or black and white fans. Do you think the default GP-12 Fractal fans will be good enough?
I decided on Noctua iPPC 24V F12's and A14's (3000RPM variants) and added on white SAV2 Chromax pads. They look great and are pretty inaudible below 1000RPM's.

rony albert

Post by rony albert » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:11 am

Notwist wrote:
nobullypls wrote:Hey guys, I decided to go with the 7700k, since I could get it new for $290 ($310, but I had a $20 coupon from Ebay). I also got the Scythe Kotetsu.

I decided on Noctua iPPC 24V F12's and A14's (3000RPM variants) and added on white SAV2 Chromax pads. They look great and are pretty inaudible below 1000RPM's.

Noctua iPPC 24V F12's is best choice!
HematomaDiseases
Last edited by rony albert on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
nobullypls wrote:I was curious if you guys knew of any silent black fans or black and white fans. Do you think the default GP-12 Fractal fans will be good enough?
Nexus Real Silent Case Fan is a long standing SPCR reference for 120mm fans. If you rather the 140mm, the Thermalright TY-147 is a nice option, but it's a PWM fan (so you need a PWM header).

About the stock Fractal GP-12, it is enough good but it's an highly subjective matter, so that actually YMMV: give it a try before swapping anything.
I just decided to get another GP-12. We'll see how it goes.

nobullypls

Post by nobullypls » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:41 am

Notwist wrote:

I'll consider this for the future.

Is controlling fans easy through the motherboard. I have an MSI Z270M. I got a GP-12 for right now, but I might try this option in the future.