Best of 2017

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Michael-Inet

Best of 2017

Post by Michael-Inet » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 am

I, as many others, will be building a quiet PC before the end of this year. I’ve read many posts here that critique, and give advice on, parts lists. It seems like the people in the know are repeating themselves over and over, which seems like a huge waste :( .

How about we reverse the process?

Have the people in the know say it once, and us less informed be able to read that first, so that any questions we do have aren’t just the routine, “What’s the quietest case for $100?”

I’ve specifically labeled this “Best of 2017.” Next summer, we can have a Best of 2018. This way we don’t just repeat the outcome of past global “What can be recommended?” threads which end up 40 posts long and 2 years out of date, that nobody reads.

Not having the knowledge, I can’t add specific components, but I can take a guess at adding the categories and play secretary until a mod takes over and makes this a sticky.

Please, correct the categories, add categories I missed, and also suggest categories to remove (memory?) that don’t effect quiet...

Thanks SPCR for having the knowledge to make so many of our lives better!

- Prices are 'best guess.'
- Links are to pcpartpicker.com.

Categories

CPU - $??? range
CPU - $600 range
CPU - $300 range

CPU Cooler- $??? range
CPU Cooler- $??? range

Memory- $??? range

Power Supply - $??? range

Case Fan - $100 range
Case Fan - $50 range

Case - $200 range
Case - $100 range
Case - Fanless

Video Card - $Any$
$850 MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB LIGHTNING Z

Video Card - $??? range
Video Card - $??? range

SSD, USB 3 - $400 range
SSD, USB 3 - $200 range
SSD, USB 3 - $100 range

SSD, PCIe 3 - $400 range
SSD, PCIe 3 - $200 range
SSD, PCIe 3 - $100 range

SSD, ??? - $??? range

HD - $500 range
HD - $250 range
HD - $100 range

Motherboards - ATX
Motherboards - microATX
Motherboards - mini-ITX
Motherboards - ???

Miscellaneous Categories

Water cooler
Radiator
Heat pipe
Last edited by Michael-Inet on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Notwist

Re: Best of 2017

Post by Notwist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Quietest 1080ti regardless of price: MSI Lightning Z?

Only reason Asus Strix isn't my pick is because of many coil whine reports and Asus support being reputedly terrible. FTW3 has weird harmonics and runs hotter/louder to match performance of others, and I tried too many obnoxious AIO hybrid units to consider it worthy of a silent rig.

Not to mention the lightning shroud is *literally* the biggest AIB air cooler you can get attached to a GPU.