It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Options for new office pc
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:04 pm 

After many years of forum absence greetings to the community. I have been away for some time and I believe some departure/distance from the previously highly discussed issues has been common as technologies and markets have changed the past years.

First of all a synopsis of my journey away from silentpcreview

1) Switch to External, High Capacity HDDs
The source of most of my frustration with computer noise were due to having many HDDs in my system (6-8)...due to pricing/offers, I happened to move to External - USB 3.0 HDDs...
...this was made possible by the new, high transmission speeds, which made ext.drives a viable option
...high capacity HDDs became quite accessible financially, so the number of HDDs was reduced
...it also did away with my frustration in seeking niche Case solutions
...keeping hdd in a well designed case also reduced noise/vibrations

2) Switch to Laptop
I landed a great deal on a Thinkpad T520 laptop, which is the quietest and most customizable computer I have ever used (effectively 3 drive ports: msata, sata1, sata2-opticaldrive-bay)
...I effectively stopped using my tower pc, and since I had already moved to Ext.HDDs, I had no issue using a laptop

3) Further Switch to a Fanless NUC from China
In 2016 I bought a (crappy, quality-wise) Hystou i5 5250U passively cooled NUC/mini-pc from China...Finally completely noiseless, high (adequate) performance computing, with many ports (4 X USB3.0, 2 X USB 2.0 + 2 x msata + 1 x SATA 2.5")..
...as long as it lasted it "changed my life" with regards to my continuous involvement with PC/hardware and search for silence...all of my previous concerns (PSU/CPu cooler/case fan noise) were cast away and I was finally focused on USING my PC to do what interested me the most, instead of having to deal constantly with PC frustrations.
...unfortunately, the journey did not last long, since the 2nd hand CPU that they had used and the poor soldering lead to the mini-pc's untimely death just after 6 months...I had it reballed and this breathed another 6 months life into-it (thus far), but signs of a count-down have begun and I am not willing to pay more to sustain this crappy implementation.

Where I am now / Options and thoughts for next computer:

1) I love the idea of a fanless or very low-noise NUC...my best option would be the new Bean Canyon i5 8259U NUC, BOXNUC8I5BEH2, whose price ranges between 330-380 + shipping

However
- Not clear yet how the higher TDP (28W) will be handled by the new system fan...Intel i5 NUCs were already not the quietest solutions around, and many people have complained about fan-noise...but in this case there isn't much you can do about it...
- it is very expensive, considering I would have to pay for 16GB DDR4-2400 (around 160euros) + M.2 NVme drive (around 85euros), with the total cost rising above 600 Euros
- It is not customizable / upgradeable which means that after its prime "life-span" its value will drop and I will have to get rid of it as is
- I have read about non-consumer friendly support policies of those NUCs (in Greece at least), plus I have the bad experience from the previous NUC

2) I am back at considering building a new PC-tower based on Ryzen CPU, 2200g most likely: it is upgradeable, it is less power-hungry than previous processors and offers great overall value...

However:
- I am back at researching CPU heatsinks, fans, PSUs; it's been a while and whereas I previously found it informative and educating about technology, now I am more frustrated by it and even if I do my best, the result is not really guaranteed, although objective concerns are now better (no hdds to worry about)

Concerning this latest Option, here is the build I am considering
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G = 102.9 Euros
- Motherboard: Asrock B450-Pro 4 = 95 euros
- RAM: 2 X 8 DDR4 3200Mhz = 160-170 Euros
- PSU : Corsair RM550x = 90-100 Euros
(already have SSD, will use integrated Graphics, my CAse is an old trusted Chieftec Full tower)
- HEatsink-Fan: I NEED your help here....

I want to keep the fan noise not above 15-16db even if I have to put up with slightly higher temps..

...not sure whether I should invest in a 70euros + HT/Fan or use a lower spec 30 Euros solution and maybe swap their fan with a ultra-low-rpm Papst 120mm fan I have...of course this would mean higher temps, which would affect system temps,
BUT perhaps because the setup is not really demanding, an ultra-high performance HEatsink may not be needed.

I have got a headache navigating the various reviews and I would like your help and input on this...here is a list (screenshot) of available CPU coolers in Greece...which one would you recommend for my purposes?
https://postimg.cc/image/3xiro27g1/

Your recommendations, comments etc is highly appreciated. Long live silentpcreview!

Last edited by Pierre on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Options for new office pc
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:49 pm 

Welcome back. Let me add to the confusion :)

If you really wanted to stay fanless, you could:
1) stick with a 15W NUC and put it in an Akasa case.
2) pay a bit more, get a 65W TDP class CPU and mITX mobo and put it in an HDPlex case.

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 pm 

CA_Steve wrote:
Welcome back. Let me add to the confusion :)

If you really wanted to stay fanless, you could:
1) stick with a 15W NUC and put it in an Akasa case.
2) pay a bit more, get a 65W TDP class CPU and mITX mobo and put it in an HDPlex case.

Thank you for your reply Steve.

I had been looking at these Akasa fanless cases for some time, but truth is they only accentuate the reservations I already had about the high price of a respectable performance NUC, i.e. they add to it, so unless I were to come across a really good deal, I wouldn't go through with it.

Regarding the HDPlex solutions...wow...great quality but they may match the price of my pc build, before adding any hardware....if I was a professional (with a really good budget), I would probably give these a try...but now, I'm almost cringing at the cost.

If a were a skilled modder, perhaps I would buy a 8th gen intel NUC and modify the port openings of my existing Hystou aluminum case (which is great in itself)
https://www.topminipc.com/index.php?rou ... duct_id=99

Taking into account budget limitations, the only options are
1) taking a chance with the new NUCs (because of the recent intel security issues, I wouldnt go with a previous generation cpu)
2) building a tower-pc
( 3) using my T520 laptop for as long as I can, perhaps adding 8GB RAM to account for my super-big browser sessions)

- For 1) I might need to wait for some reviews, before I make up my mind
- in the meantime, I wanna finalize what my plan would be for solution 2

To facilitate Heatsink choice, I am trying to determine what would be max height that my case would allow...measuring from the mb-tray "spacers" (not sure how they're called), I have a maximum of 18cm clearance...
....of course motherboard thickness and starting point for the CPU on it would have to be taken into account....I am skeptical about a 160-165mm fitting this space....

Here is a pic to visualize better

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 pm 

Ok, I have decided to go with the Scythe Kotetsu Mark II (upgrade to the original Kotetsu), if I decide to go for the Pc tower...

Great performance and starting price is around 38 EUR in Greece, which is great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pm 

The Kotetsu is a good choice.

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:47 am 

CA_Steve wrote:
The Kotetsu is a good choice.

What's different with the new version is that they are equipping the cooler with the commercially available version of the fan; if I remember correctly in the Kotetsu review it was mentioned the fan used was not widely available.

SU1225FD12M-RHP
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... 0-pwm.html

...runs at lower rpm > lower max noise...which is good, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 am 

Also switched to offset design for better access to RAM slots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:40 pm 

With regards to the PSU, which one would you choose, between
- Seasonic Focus+ 550W Gold
- Corsair RM550x

In the jonnyguru review, the Seasonic scored excellent in voltage regulation/ripple suppression etc but not much info about noise volume and character once the fan kicked in (around 300W, which should normally exceed my power requirements),
The Corsair according to Tomshardware, runs practically in fanless mode similarly up to 300W load, but we have info about the noise ranges and general behaviour; on the other hand, regulation etc is not exemplary, as in the Seasonic.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 3&reid=529
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/co ... 484-4.html

Price-wise I can find the Seasonic for about 88-92 Euros, while the Corsair ranges between 97-106 Euros (lowest price might not be had due to merchandise availability)

Quiet operation is my foremost concern, and I don't want to pay more than I need to, but once I come close to the 100 Euros mark, I think about opting for a 750W version for a 20 Euros more nad securing a great buffer for future power requirements PLUS fanless operation at higher loads.
..of course the trend is for power requirements to decrease, not increase...but I don't know.

What'ya say?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 pm 

You can’t get the fans to turn on for either of these 550w supplies unless you put in a high end gfx card...

Both are well built. The short length of the Seasonic intrigued me. In fact, I just ordered one. I won’t get the fan to turn on, either :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm 

CA_Steve wrote:
You can’t get the fans to turn on for either of these 550w supplies unless you put in a high end gfx card...

Both are well built. The short length of the Seasonic intrigued me. In fact, I just ordered one. I won’t get the fan to turn on, either :D

Awesome, so I get to order the cheaper, better regulated one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:34 am 

Go for Akasa Euler (cheaper than HDPlex) fanless case and a full power (not T) recent i3. You'll have more performance than with a NUC for a smaller price - a price similar to the one of a normal, loud tower pc - plus fanless and tiny. Seriously, I've done it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:59 am 

resistante wrote:
Go for Akasa Euler (cheaper than HDPlex) fanless case and a full power (not T) recent i3. You'll have more performance than with a NUC for a smaller price - a price similar to the one of a normal, loud tower pc - plus fanless and tiny. Seriously, I've done it.

These fanles miniITX cases only support up to 6th generation Intel CPUs, so not really an option.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 am 

It supports any Thin Mini ITX motherboard including those that support 7th and 8th generation Intel CPUs and anything that will be released in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 am 

resistante wrote:
It supports any Thin Mini ITX motherboard including those that support 7th and 8th generation Intel CPUs and anything that will be released in the future.

In the specifications it only references 6th generation Intel CPUs (and older), along with a list of compatible motherboards.

Have you tested it? If so, what is your hardware configuration?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:45 am 

I'm guessing they just didn't update this data/tested these specific newer units.

This case is basically just a piece of metal in such a shape that you can put in there a thin mini itx motherboard and the heatsink extension will be exactly above the CPU. So what you want to do is go to the specs page of the mobo you want to buy and compare its picture with that of one that you're sure is supported, fe. mine: B75TN.

Fe. this https://static.gigabyte.com/Product/2/6 ... 12_src.png vs this https://static.gigabyte.com/Product/2/4457/7674_src.jpg

Do you think the CPU slots are in the exactly same position? Because I do.

But if you want to be extra sure, just ask the manufacturer whether the CPU slot (the four holes for the cooling unit to be specific) is in the exact same place. Fe. if you want to get this Gigabyte H310TN, ask them if it's in the same place as on B75TN. That's it.

Also, do you have laws allowing you to return bought parts if you're not happy with them? If so, then even if for some inexplicable magical reason they still don't much, you can return it.

To be honest even my mobo B75TN isn't listed on Akasa's page nor my CPU is (i3 3245) and I had similar doubts, but I'm using this PC for years and the only things that broke are the used HP power brick I had (just replaced it with a new one) and a USB port burned due to lighting strike that hit my house and burned several devices. The PC otherwise still works great which is really surprising given that the USB sound card that was attached to it (no external power supply on it) got burned and I'm planning on switching to Coffee Lake/whatever is the next gen).