Ideas for Threadripper build in FT05

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akm

Ideas for Threadripper build in FT05

Post by akm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 am

Looking for ideas to build as silent as possible Threadripper system

Here's the list of parts ordered/received so far:
Case: Silverstone FT05
Case fan: AP182 x2 (will replace the AP181 that ship with FT05)
Motherboard: Asrock X399M
CPU: Threadripper 1950x
RAM: G.Skill 64GB (4 x 16GB) Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz (tallest RAM that should fit under the CPU cooler)
GPU: Asus Strix Vega 56
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 (with 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM)
Storage: 3x Intel 660P 512GB

I am aware that Enermax Liqtech TR4 II would probably be a bit quieter than the Silver Arrow TR4 overall, but I really dislike liquid cooling, but would it be significantly quieter in real life? Should I add another NF-A12x25 PWM to CPU cooler and/or to exhaust of the case?

I was looking at the AP182 (I have one and another is coming in mail) and what is the best way to get those controlled via motherboard (PWM)? I'm currently using the controller and rolling pretty much Linux, so Speedfan etc won't work. Low/medium/high feels bit too rough for long term solution in FT05.

Base system is currently living in a Lian Li PC-V354 with one AP182 as intake and NH-U14S TR4-SP3 as a CPU cooler, but feels annoyingly loud. Overclocking is not in the card, just really quiet stock system. Only the mobo/cpu/gpu are set in stone, everything else is open to suggestions

Originally I was hoping to build in to a smallish mATX case, but mATX scene seems to have really dried up in recent years

Abula

Re: Ideas for Threadripper build in FT05

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 am

Personally I don't think it's a bad choice the ft05, but in my experience, I never saw a huge gain in temperatures to make it worth while, specially the GPU. If you want airflow go with a Corsair air740. I recently finish my TR 1950x build on fractal design define r6 and all went well, you can check a link to the build on my signature.

akm

Post by akm » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:07 am

I chose FT05 kinda accidentally, I got it real cheap, 69€ new and I've always liked the looks of it. I like R6 Define, but it's huge.

I'm bit surprised that you didn't go with quad channel RAM since it seems to really help Threadripper, based on Phoronix benchmarks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 am

akm wrote:I chose FT05 kinda accidentally, I got it real cheap, 69€ new and I've always liked the looks of it.
Maybe it can work out for you, maybe was the heatpipes on the GPUs, i really dont know, the CPU temps were really good, among the best that i have had, but the GPU was the issue with me, games that didn't load up the gpu like WOW/D3 i was getting a very quiet system, but once i loaded other games like PUBG or Ranbow Six, the GPU was passing 2k rpms (on GTX970, GTX980ti and with 1080), specially Asus GPUs on those gen sound like jet engines if you allow them to go above 2k, i had to bump my AP182 around 900rpms to keep the gpu below 83C, and at 9000rpm the AP182 are not quiet. I even tried Prolimatech MK26 and with small gains, still not good enough for me. I have since moved to Corsair Air 740, which is also very open case with lots of fans, and the difference is night and day, no longer i reach 80C on a 1080ti, the gpu fans stay below 1500rpms where they are quiet (not silent but good enough).

Honestly idk why it didn't work out for me, i really tried, i like the design and compact factor, but at the end it simply didnt do it for me. I kinda think the issue is 2 things, the pipe orientation and the HDD/PSU placement probably doesn't help the gpu get air as easily, and the second thing that need to improve is the length, i couldn't fit certain GTX1080ti, like Zotac Amp Extreme or MSI Lightning,

For me the FT06 should have changes:
1) 7 more inches of inside height to fit longer gpus. Right now clears 312mm, GPUs like MSI RTX2080Ti Gaming Trio is 327mm.
2) More space on the back for cable management, an extra inch would help a lot.
3) Invert the side like the FT02, this would make the HDD caddy and PSU be on the CPU cooler side, with this orientation the GPU side could add a couple of AP181, kinda like a mix of the FT04 and FT05, i feel once the gpu temps are in control the case would be among the best for a quiet high end setup.
4) Release AP181/182 PWM version, this would simplify the connections via PSU power and mobo control, and be safer due to the power draw of the fans.
5) Drop the support for 120mm on the bottom, the strength of the case is the 180mm fans, save money and have better airflow on the bottom by not including it.
akm wrote:I like R6 Define, but it's huge.
If you find the R6 too big for your liking, i would suggest to look into Meshify C, its compact and good airflow, im even considering getting one, tempeted to go with Noctua NF-A12x25 for the front and back.
akm wrote:I'm bit surprised that you didn't go with quad channel RAM since it seems to really help Threadripper, based on Phoronix benchmarks.
I used 2x G.SKILL FlareX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GFX, meaning 2 dual kits = 4 memory, reason i bought it like that it was $75 cheaper than to buy the Quad kit. Be careful buying memory though, crosscheck that someone has run it on your desired mobo/cpu, as TR is very picky with memory, the FlareX is market as AMD Ryzen design, personally i think its just marketing, but it ran Quad Channel at 3200 CL14 with simply clicking the XMP on the bios, no issues at all.