Coolmax Taurus Fanless PSU Users Poll

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

How is your fanless Coolmax Taurus PSU working out?

Works great, no problems
50%
Works, but... (provide details)
50%
It failed (provide details)
No votes

Total votes: 2

MikeC
Site Admin

Coolmax Taurus Fanless PSU Users Poll

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 pm

SPCR's test sample had a problem; it would not turn off properly. Seeing how fanless PSUs seem to have higher failure rates than fan-powered ones, it's worthwhile to do a user poll for ALL fanless PSUs we've reviewed.

Aside from answering the poll, please also post how long you've used it and in what conditions. Also, please provide the serial number, purchase date and source of purchase if at all possible.

You must be an owner or user of an Coolmax Taurus! DO NOT POST if you are not a user. Otherwise, polls such as this will become useless and skewed. Anyone found to be breaking this rule will be immediately banned from SPCR.

ALL Coolmax Taurus users are encouraged to post, including those who have no problems, NOT just the ones who have experienced trouble.

Keep your posts CIVIL and ON-TOPIC! This thread is not an excuse for Coolmax-bashing.

sammy_jankis

Post by sammy_jankis » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:09 am

Let's see... I bought my 480W Coolmax Taurus about 4 months ago (close to when this thread was started, I see). I run F@H close to 24/7 on an A64 +3200 with a Zalman 7000Cu. It rarely gets hot to the touch (it's bearable for about 3 seconds when pressing your fingers against it), but only under load when the room temp is high or the side panel is on and even then, it's only sometimes. Yes, I leave the side panel of this comp. off because I don't feel like modding my cheapo case (haven't made up my mind what case I want to buy). With the panel off, under load, and the two 11 dBa 80mm SilenX fans blowing across the graphics card, CPU HSF, and bottom of the PSU, I get a stable 48ºC CPU & 43ºC sys temp. Keep in mind that I live in central Florida and it's summer. The last PSU I had in this case was an Antec TrueBlue 480W, and the temp increase from that was maybe 3ºC on both temps. With the side panel on under load, the CPU temp levels off at about 54ºC (not terrible, but I want it under 50ºC).

Overall, I'm very pleased... though I was a bit nervous initially after reading SPCR's review of this PSU. I'd recommend this PSU to anybody. It's ~$60 less than the Antec Phantom (I bought mine for $110 via Pricewatch.com) and it hasn't let me down once.