Samsung ML-1710 (printer) : noisy

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dago
Patron of SPCR

Samsung ML-1710 (printer) : noisy

Post by dago » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:00 am

The subject says it all, I got one of those cheap (85$) printer mostly because it had both USB & // ports.

And it's damn noisy, the motor ran for 1-2 minutes upon power up, and the noisy fan for 10 minutes afer printing 1 page :evil:

manni

Post by manni » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:13 am

At least it's silent when idling (I'm a satisfied owner of ML-1750).

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:40 am

when idling > I hope so, that nothing is happening !

Do you also have a pretty long "cool down" time after printing a page ?

manni

Post by manni » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:44 am

Yeah, it cools down for few minutes, but after that it's completely silent (unless you start printing again).

technarch

Post by technarch » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:08 am

I've been very unhappy with my Samsung experience.

I tried a 12xx series first, quickly returned after a big fight because it wasn't doing what I had hoped for.

Then I paid MORE money and upgraded it to a 1450.

Problems I've had with it since day 1: The printer smells, AND the print quality sucks. I always thought it was odd how the edges of letters had little jaggy edges and how it never seemed to put enough toner down even if set to 'dark'. I've tried to complain to Samsung about it, they have ignored me.

Anyways I finally have my proof. Last night I printed out 3 pages on SMOOTH paper, one at 300, one at 600 and one at 1200. Nothing more than the test page of fonts from the Windows font folder.. specificially Times New Roman.

The fine lines don't even show up at 1200, they partly show up at 600, and show up at 300.

Could someone run this test? Print at so-called 1200, and see if the fine line underneath 'Times New Roman (OpenType)' is 80% missing and only appears a little bit at the far right side?

Thanks.

PS. I wish I had just gotten a HP.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:34 am

I've had several 1710 units, one 1740, and one ML-6 ... can't remember the model but it was one of their first laser printers.

Yes they would smell and your lights would flicker whenever you print in a house and not a condo (too much power consumption?) and the drivers suck (took 1 year to release WinME drivers, and 1 year to release WinXP drivers). But they are cheap and toner is very easy to refill (pop off the cap, dump it in, close cap, voila!) which is the reason why it appeals to so many.