It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:23 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:19 pm
Posts: 5316
Location: St Louis (county) Missouri USA
I know everybody does it, but on the front page of SVC this morning, I found a Thermaltake 120mm fan advertised at almost twice the airflow at a lower db than a 120mm Yate Loon.....on the same page. This is an obvious lie, but some people believe this stuff, witnessed by a recent post on SPCR.

Only consumer complaints and a lot of them, will stop this practice.

I complained in an E-Mail to SVC......you should also.

SVC

_________________
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
This belongs to Customer Advocacy / Feedback forum. Besides, SVC is doind nothing wrong, they are simply passing on information from the manufacturer. Even if they were to take the liberty and retest all of the fans (which no seller will ever do) there will be people who'll say their testing methodology is wrong. If you want to complain to someone, complain to ThermalTake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:43 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:19 pm
Posts: 5316
Location: St Louis (county) Missouri USA
Here's the text of the E-Mail to SVC.....

I really hate to see a good company such as SVC continue to sell products with obvious false claims. On the front page of your site this morning, you advertise a 120mm Yate Loon fan and a similar looking 120mm Thermaltake fan. The Thermaltake fan claims almost twice the airflow, at a lower sound rating. This claim is a blatant, obvious lie by the manufacturer of that fan. I know you do not make the specs......Thermaltake does. But to a new computer modder, that false claim may seem truthful...


SVC and others should at least publish a disclaimer about these sorts of claims.......if not discontinue completely, the false advertising.

Sincerely, Carl Bohne

SVC is doing something wrong by using lies to sell products....sorry if you feel differently. A disclaimer about such false claims would be helpful. Discontinuing such advertising would be better.

_________________
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
Bluefront wrote:
SVC is doing something wrong by using lies to sell products....sorry if you feel differently. A disclaimer about such false claims would be helpful. Discontinuing such advertising would be better.


That's what I'm telling you. SVC does not know how quiet/loud those fans actually are and they obviously cannot test them. The only thing they can do is pass on specs from the manufacturer. Disclaimer might be a good idea, but honestly, if you put disclaimer on a fan, why don't you put disclaimer on everything? But then it will become like warning labels on microwave and any other product. You can't protect from stupidity. I say leave it. And it's not just SVC, it's every other retailer too, do you plan to send a similar letter to newegg?

IMO let it go, like I said, if you want to complain, complain to thermaltake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:53 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:19 pm
Posts: 5316
Location: St Louis (county) Missouri USA
It's a different matter when you say "X" product is better than "Y" product. That's a matter of opinion. But when you say your one pound product weighs three pounds, that's not an opinion, that's an outright lie.

No reason computer product advertising should play by a different set of rules. In the USA the Consumer Protection Agency has a say in such matters. It's only a matter of time......

And you have to start somewhere.

_________________
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:17 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada
I have a rather daft question, how do you know that the advertising is misleading, has anyone reviewed these fans?

Ray

_________________
Antec P180 - Asus A8N-SLI Premium - AMD 64X2 4400@2500 - Scythe Ninja - (Ducted with 2 fans, Yate Loon and Antec Tri-fan) - EVGA 6800GS Video - Arctic Cooler NV Silencer (Ducted) - 2GB OCZ memory - Dremel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 2465
Location: London
Bluefront wrote:
a Thermaltake 120mm fan advertised at almost twice the airflow at a lower db than a 120mm Yate Loon


Flowing air creates noise. It's physically impossible to double the airflow and reduce noise at the same time.

_________________
Thinkpad X200 – aging fan, T60p – Core Duo whine :(
Nothing endures but change


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:33 pm
Posts: 545
Location: GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UK
qviri wrote:
Bluefront wrote:
a Thermaltake 120mm fan advertised at almost twice the airflow at a lower db than a 120mm Yate Loon


Flowing air creates noise. It's physically impossible to double the airflow and reduce noise at the same time.


That depends on how good the origional fan is in the first place. It is possible to produce a quieter fan profile with higher flow.

However as the TT fan is clearly based on the same mould as the loon (if not from the same factory) and from my experiance is in fact near identical noise wise, clearly the claim is suspect.

A lot of this comes down to the fact that their is not one standard for measuring Db in fans.

_________________
www.Justblair.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
justblair wrote:
qviri wrote:
Bluefront wrote:
a Thermaltake 120mm fan advertised at almost twice the airflow at a lower db than a 120mm Yate Loon


Flowing air creates noise. It's physically impossible to double the airflow and reduce noise at the same time.


That depends on how good the origional fan is in the first place. It is possible to produce a quieter fan profile with higher flow.

However as the TT fan is clearly based on the same mould as the loon (if not from the same factory) and from my experiance is in fact near identical noise wise, clearly the claim is suspect.

A lot of this comes down to the fact that their is not one standard for measuring Db in fans.

I thought TT fans are generally made by everflow. Except for one heatsink where they used L1A.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:33 pm
Posts: 545
Location: GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UK
The 120mm TT fan that comes with the Typhoon is badged Hong Sheng. However I had one out against a nexus and the two are identical in terms of the casing and fan profile. You can tell when you examine the injection points that they have come from the same mould.

The TT fan from the typhoon runs natively at the same speed as the Yate Loon. Slow it down to match the Nexus and noise wise they are identical.

Just noticed though on the specs for the SVC sold fan that it claims 2000rpm. Clearly it has a different number of windings in the motor (or different motor)

My guess is then that the design has been sold to several manufacturers, or that one manufacturer is making all of these fans.

_________________
www.Justblair.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06 am
Posts: 2049
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
justblair wrote:
A lot of this comes down to the fact that their is not one standard for measuring Db in fans.

Nor one standard for creativity in writing advertising copy. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: False Marketing Claims
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 am 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 3998
Location: Phoenix, AZ
justblair wrote:
A lot of this comes down to the fact that their is not one standard for measuring Db in fans.


There is, ANSI S12.11. OEM's and manu's use it, and people like TT undoubtably have the testing report in their posession for the fans they relabel...they just choose not to use the numbers on it.

_________________
Senior Contributing Writer, SPCR


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group