It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bad experience with Scan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:17 pm 

I recently had to return a faulty PSU to Scan, who've agreed that it was faulty and refunded me.

However, they're refusing to refund the postage costs I incurred returning it (£7), because they say the offered a free collection service. This service would have required me making myself available constantly from 9am to 5pm, which is impossible for me due to health problems.

This is all by the by though, as legally under the Distance Selling Regulations they are bound to reimburse me for reasonable costs incurred in returning faulty goods, as stated in the Office of Fair Trading's "A guide for businesses on distance selling - oft698" section 3.57
www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaf ... oft698.pdf which states: "3.57 If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances."

Scan told me that if the goods were found not faulty, I would be liable for the collection costs of £15+VAT, so by sending the item back myself at a cost of only £7, I've saved them over £10. Unless that is, it doesn't actually cost them £15+VAT to collect items and they are making their customers pay unjustified and possibly unlawful charges.

I'm going to send them a Recorded letter explaining their legal obligations and warn them that if they still refuse to reimburse me I'll be reporting them to Trading Standards and the OFT and possibly suing them in the Small Claims Court, which will result in them having to pay my legal costs as well as the £7. Hopefully they'll do the right thing but I'll report back either way.

Main: Asus Z97-A, i5-4670k@4.4Ghz, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 4x4GB, eVGA SuperNova G2 750W, Powercolor 6950 2GB GPU, Samsung 840 Evo 256GB SSD, Samsung 2TB and WD 2TB HDDs, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2nd PC: MSI 990FXA-GD80, Phenom II X4 955@3.5Ghz, TRUE Rev. C/Nexus, HD6850 1GB, Yate Loon 140mm intake, Nexus 120mm exhaust, HD103UJ, WD6400AAKS, Nexus Value 430W, Bach VX case