Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (was: Info on any notebooks?)

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (was: Info on any notebooks?)

Post by sthayashi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:14 am

Would you like notebook users to tender information about their laptops? Or would you prefer that information be provided when asked for?

For example, I'm typing this post on a laptop right now. I think it's somewhat quiet, but not especially so. I'm not really in the market to get a new one, and it seems unlikely that anyone can get this laptop new these days. Should I post information about it?

EDIT: I posted this in the announcements page and since it got moved to the forum without any response, I'll just say what I have and tell you a little about it.

As you might be able to tell by the title, it's a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100. It has a 1.8GHz P4-M processor inside and uses PC2100 DDR RAM. I don't know what kind of fan it uses, but there is some thermal control going on. Since I started folding for SPCR, the fan doesn't ever turn off. Under normal use, it often does. It exhausts out the back, so the noise path to the user's ear isn't that direct. It's completely overpowered right now by the shuttle machine sitting next to me.

The hard drive is a Toshiba (imagine that) MK6021GS and I've never been bothered by it. The DVD/CDRW drive is a Teac DW-28E and is somewhat loud when accessed. I think this is normal behavior though for CD drives.

Last month, I took it in for some minor repairs. The internal eraser-tip style mouse wasn't functioning properly and was affecting my wireless mouse at times. Plus the built-in wireless appeared to crap out (couldn't pick up any wireless networks). I can't say I liked the service center's work and repair. I'm fairly certain he broke one of the screw mounts to my laptop. It was a 3rd party "official" repair center. Next time, I'm probably better off doing the repairs myself (he replaced the keyboard and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the wireless. It worked by then).

Aside from all that, I'm pretty happy with this laptop. I've had it since Dec 2002 and I expect to keep it around and have it work indefinitely. I've never had to reinstall WinXP yet, and I've never had a single BSOD. I've used it to rip DVDs, program microcontrollers, write Windows applications, send email and even play a few low-end games.

Any questions?