It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I achieve the impossible?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:00 am 

I've been tasked to find a 17" P4 laptop.

Here's the rub:

It must be as close to silent as possible. Any suggestions? Recommended models? Tips for silencing the stock fans? Anything?

Thanks in advance (and yes, I realize the loftiness of this pursuit),
T.

Post subject: Laptops
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:15 am 

Welcome To SPRC Testicool!

We don't tend to do much work with laptops on SPCR, namely because there isn't a lot of room to work with. Fans tend to be very small, and difficult to replace, and there isn't a lot of stuff built for retrofitting. You can underclock the processor, if it isn't already using dynamic underclocking software.

The Dell Inspiron 9200 is supposed to be quite quiet, but a lot of people have complained about the screen resolution being too high.

You might try having a look at ARM systems http://www.armsystems.com/ - they do a number of quiet laptops.

Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:46 am 

Denorios wrote:

You can underclock the processor, if it isn't already using dynamic underclocking software.

Do you have any specific recommendations on what software to use? Preferences? The intent of this project is to have as quiet a laptop as possible (ie minimimal use of fans) but to have, 'on paper', a highly spec'd machine.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:27 pm 

Have you considered the Pentium-M (centrino)? It runs from the P4 in many tasks, the power consumption is far below leading to lower temps, lower fannoise (usually none) and longer batterylife. A much better choice IMO.

Can't help you with the P4, though. Welcome to SPCR by the way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:25 am 
Friend of SPCR

i looked at alot of laptops while i was shopping for one and NO P4 laptop will be quiet, The P4 runs too hot and then when you add a vid card it has to have a fan to keep cool. Go P-M, with alviso out, you should have good performance.

~RaNDoM