are dell inspiron 6000 or xps m140 notebooks silent?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ggolub

are dell inspiron 6000 or xps m140 notebooks silent?

Post by ggolub » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi
I need to buy silend notebook, I am considering dell inspiron 6000. Screen should be 14-15.
My choice is between inspiron 6000 and xps m140.
Have anybody had any experience with above notebooks for the subject of silent operation? I know that most dell notebooks getting really worm at the left part but it does not bother me.

I currently use hp pavilion zd7000 - it's very noisy and I am selling it. I listen music from internet and it is a disaster.

Can somebody recommend me. I would even go for smaller system but my son likes big screen so 14 at least is a must.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:59 pm

you just listed the loudest modern notebooks ive ever come across - the latitude series, on the other hand, is wonderfully quiet and a pleasure to work on

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:04 am

I believe the Inspirons have a fan on at all times which ain't gonna please anyone here.

stupid

Post by stupid » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:51 am

It may be out of your price range but the IBM (Lenovo?) Thinkpad T series is pretty quiet. It's not absolutely silent; but in a quiet room with just a little bit of ambient noise, you have to concentrate a little bit to hear the quiet whooh of the fan.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:10 am

I'll vouch for Thinkpads! Mine's hard drive got whiny with old age (five years will do that to a non-FDB drive), but the fan is just barely audible in a quiet room - most of the time I have to put my hand over the exhaust to find out if it's on :)

If you don't need the performance, an older T30 or even a T22 still has a 14" screen. Plenty of power for internet radio.

ggolub

What about compaq or sony? are they silent at all?

Post by ggolub » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 pm

Thank you for respond.
As far as Dell Latitude:
I am using right now d600 and it's pretty good even though it blows fan all the time. It's just much quiter than HP zd7000 which I got rid of because can't stand this stupid, slow and noisy refregirator.
I looked through ibm and at least from the options and prices was not impressed at all.
Few things: they start with 256mgb option. Is that wise to offer so small memory at all? Do not get me wrong - it's a lot of memory for savy os. I remember my db servers sometimes did not have 256mgb memory just 5 yr. ago. But it's a different subject.
Second. They often supply 4200rpm drive. It's the same speed as I had on my HP. I noticed that all silent drives are 7200rpm. They also have 8mgb cache. I guess because of second they are silent. I don't know but somehow beleive that the more mgb on cache (which is always on faster drives) the more silent it is.
Third: fewer customized options available. Usualy 1 base option with a reasonable price and it goes either with no dvd rw or hdrive is 4200.

I used to have ibm laptop 6 yr. ago - now it's still the same black corporate look.

Guys, share with me if anybody had any experience with Compaq or Sony. I went to store to feel Sony and was surprised - no chemistry. Some chip metal finish on top. I must be wrong or too picky.
Compaq on other hand looked modest, compact and solid. It uses AMD processors, some of them 64 bit.
Please feed me your opinion on Compaq models with 14' screen. What do you think about AMD, how does it match Intel M when it comes to heat produced..

qviri

Re: What about compaq or sony? are they silent at all?

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 pm

ggolub wrote:I used to have ibm laptop 6 yr. ago - now it's still the same black corporate look.
Some people like that ;) But that's completely OT, to each his own.
Compaq on other hand looked modest, compact and solid. It uses AMD processors, some of them 64 bit.
Please feed me your opinion on Compaq models with 14' screen. What do you think about AMD, how does it match Intel M when it comes to heat produced..
Recent AMD laptop chips are still hotter than (low- and mid-end, at least) Pentium Ms, unless you're willing to manually undervolt. That usually translates into more fan action.

I believe the Turions are all 64-bit? If so, than the not-64-bit would be the Althon XP-Ms, which just aren't in the same thermal ballpark at all. Way hotter than P-Ms.

Intel still rules the laptop market for now. (Damn, where are those C7-M 'books?)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 am

I noticed that all silent drives are 7200rpm
Um, what? NO 7200rpm drives are silent (as in 0dB). Drives which approach inaudibility under normal ambient noise conditions are all 2.5" drives at 5400 or 4200rpm.
They also have 8mgb cache. I guess because of second they are silent.
Cache has very little effect one way or the other on noise levels. Maybe a little less seeking noise, but that's about it.

ggolub

Hard to find information regarding dell laptops

Post by ggolub » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:22 am

Hello all
I talked recently to tech support person from Dell and she confirmed me that latitudes are more silent than other models. Why? - no answer.
Than I was lucky enough to find link which I am giving to you which provides precious information regarding environmental side of dell notebooks. On this link you can find things like: energy consumption, heat dissipation, noise pressure.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/ ... bsd&~tab=2

If you skip 12' notebooks which would beat all others due to ulv processors, dell latitude 610 is a winner.
Inspiron 630 / xps 140 is second place.

ggolub

important information regarding dell notebooks

Post by ggolub » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:26 am

Hello all
I talked recently to tech support person from Dell and she confirmed me that latitudes are more silent than other models. Why? - no answer.
Than I was lucky enough to find link which I am giving to you which provides precious information regarding environmental side of dell notebooks. On this link you can find things like: energy consumption, heat dissipation, noise pressure.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/ ... bsd&~tab=2

If you skip 12' notebooks which would beat all others due to ulv processors, dell latitude 610 is a winner.
Inspiron 630 / xps 140 is second place.

blue123

Post by blue123 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:42 pm

thanks for posting those Dell links. A real treasure trove of info.

Uberman1080

Post by Uberman1080 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:31 pm

I use a Dell D600 for work. Its only got a 1.4ghz Pentium M but its quiet when the fan is off but as soon as it kicks in at 2000RPM it can be a little noisy.
The Machine does get warm but its hardly a scorcher, the only issue is on the left hand palm rest the HDD is on top of the battery and this gets a fairly warm.

There is a Program called I8kfan which is great, its very similar to Speedfan.
Link - http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/