DIY slate tablet project

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vazkor

DIY slate tablet project

Post by Vazkor » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 am

I think I'll just write down a though or two on my current project, hope someone will be willing to partecipate or to do something similar.

I teared apart an old Acer Travelmate 202T and managed to boot it with only the naked lcd panel, motherboard and hard disk, not even with heatsink on ( of course I shut it down immediatly ).

I ordered on Ebay a 44 pin IDE to CFlash adapter, 4 gig should be enough to boot Linux or Windows 2000 thus making the laptop lighter, quiter and cooler.

I'll try to keep everything as low profile as possible but so far I didn't find a passive heatsink that can do the job. I'm thinking about adapting a Zalman VGA heatpipes cooler mounting it right beside the cpu, roughtly in place of the pcmcia adapter ... question is, will the heatsink fit on the cpu and will I be able to fix it properly with a thermal adhesive? About heat dissipation, a celeron 650 mhz SHOULD ( someone can give me advice ) dissipate about 20 watt while my overclocked 5900 about 80 ... so if the Zalman can cope with it il should be fine. Of course the airflow will be nowhere as efficient compared to my desktop case. Anyone know a low profile crossflow or radial fan? Being able to mount it beside the cpu instead of above it should save a lot of space.

To be continued.