Anyone try new MacBooks (iBook replacement)?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aviavi

Anyone try new MacBooks (iBook replacement)?

Post by aviavi » Wed May 17, 2006 12:45 pm

I'm very curious what the noise level of these new models are.

Avi

nici

Post by nici » Thu May 18, 2006 12:44 am

Never heard one myself, but i have a magazine in front of me in wich they test the MacBook Pro 2GHz model. They say the noise is quiet, not very useful to be honest. But the thermal images are to some use at least, temps under your wrists will be about 40°c while the keyboard is about 50°c. From the bottom the edge on your balls is body temperature, and in the back where your knees are at it gets up to nearly 60°c. The test was done on AC power so the battery was only 30c, they say if it had been powered by the battery it would also have been nearly 60°c.

I can only assume these shots were taken on full load, no idea of how it performs on idle where most laptops are most of the time anyway.

I don´t have any other thermal images to compare to.

And btw this isnt an iBook replacement, it costs more than the PowerBooks at the moment and to me it seems its replacing those. The 15" PowerBook was cancelled when the MacBook hit the stores. At least here in Finland it was.

atha

Post by atha » Thu May 18, 2006 3:47 am

nici wrote:And btw this isnt an iBook replacement, it costs more than the PowerBooks at the moment and to me it seems its replacing those. The 15" PowerBook was cancelled when the MacBook hit the stores.
"MacBook Pro" is indeed Powerbook replacement, but Apple introduced this week the "MacBook" (without pro), which is iBook replacement - basic model starting at $1099.

nici

Post by nici » Thu May 18, 2006 9:17 am

Whoopsie... :oops: Last time i checked the 15" MacBook Pro was the only intelBook, now it seems they have replaced their entire line with intels.. Sorry about that.

So yes if anyone has any experience with these new MacBooks please share it, im quite interested too :)

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:56 pm

I think I'm gonna get a MacBook. I was gonna wait until Leopard came out, but I hear that it won't be out until next spring. Then I thought about waiting to see whether they would announce a shift to the Core 2 Duo platform, but that might not even happen, so it could be time to buy into the Mac platform for the first time ever! If I do I'll report back for sure.

Cams

Mari0-Br0s

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Cams wrote:I think I'm gonna get a MacBook. I was gonna wait until Leopard came out, but I hear that it won't be out until next spring. Then I thought about waiting to see whether they would announce a shift to the Core 2 Duo platform, but that might not even happen, so it could be time to buy into the Mac platform for the first time ever! If I do I'll report back for sure.

Cams
Yeah, I'm actually waiting for the macbook (non-pro) to switch to Core 2 Duo first, and also waiting to see if Apple had made change to arrange the heat problems.

Macbook are now classified has "TOO HOT TO HANDLE!".