Best way to reduce CPU temps (Celeron M)?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davidstone28

Best way to reduce CPU temps (Celeron M)?

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:28 pm

I have a Dell Inspiron Celeron M 1.3ghz notebook, which unlike the Pentium M don't have SpeedStep.

I used i8kfangui and Notebook Handware Control to control the fans, disable them etc, but I wondered if there was any way of reducing CPU temps on the CeleronM? The Dell BIOS doesn't allow me to adjust vCore.

Have downloaded Righmark's CPU clock utility (RM Clock) which seems to allow me throttle CPU speed to 10%, 20% etc. I've adjusted it to 50% (700mhz) but wondered if this will reduce temps given that vCore is the same?

Any other ideas to reduce temps?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:22 pm

I had the same thing in my gateway laptop. Unfortunately no, there is nothing you can do to reduce power consumption. The clock runs at the full 1300MHz all the time. And as most laptops BIOS don't have VCore adjustments, it's always running at the full voltage as well. RMClocks throttle function may help load temps a bit. But at the cost of reduced performance and only the slightest bit of power reduction. Idle is pretty much the same thing as 100% throttle so idle power is exactly the same no matter what. I didn't look into the difference between the Pentium M and Celeron M before I got mine. I knew they ran at slower clock speeds and had less cache. I never would have thought they would turn off SpeedStep. That is probably one of the most important parts of a mobile CPU. Once I found this out, I found a cheap Pentium M on Ebay. It's been much better since.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:23 am

I didn't look into the difference between the Pentium M and Celeron M before I got mine. I knew they ran at slower clock speeds and had less cache. I never would have thought they would turn off SpeedStep. That is probably one of the most important parts of a mobile CPU
Very true. The entire mobile Celeron line lacks Speedstep, ie Mobile Celeron, Celeron M, Celeron M (65nm part based on Core Solo); this probably to differentiate it from the Pentium M, but as you say it a is a serious flaw for a mobile processor not to have energy-saving tech.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:38 am

I'm working on a friends laptop which I thought had a Mobil Celeron CPU. It ran at something like 2-2.4GHz but then dropped down to 1-1.2GHz when idle. So it would appear to have speedstep enabled. It's in pieces at the moment as it won't even boot. (I think there might be a problem with the power circuit on the motherboard.) So I can't check it at the moment.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:03 am

I'm working on a friends laptop which I thought had a Mobil Celeron CPU. It ran at something like 2-2.4GHz but then dropped down to 1-1.2GHz when idle.
Are you sure it's a Celly? If it's in pieces can you see the sSpec code on the proc (ie SL6FG, SL6QH, etc)? That sounds like the early implementation of Speedstep on the P4-M:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep
For example, a Pentium M processor marketed at 1.5 GHz can run at any speed between 600 MHz and 1.5 GHz, at 200 MHz increments, using SpeedStep III.

However, older processors have fewer increments, such as the Pentium 4-M. For example, a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4-M can run at 1.6 GHz, at 1.2 GHz, and at 786 MHz.
However I never saw my P4-M run at 768MHz.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:15 pm

jaganath wrote:Are you sure it's a Celly? If it's in pieces can you see the sSpec code on the proc (ie SL6FG, SL6QH, etc)? That sounds like the early implementation of Speedstep on the P4-M:
Dote, I was wrong. It is a Mobil P4. I should have checked before I posted.