Sony VGNTX850PB (James Bond model) mini-review

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NoiseFreeGuy

Sony VGNTX850PB (James Bond model) mini-review

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:06 pm

I had this baby for a couple of weeks.
Very nice screen. Speed was decent. Very small and light!
Core Solo U1400, 1G Mem., 80G 4200rpm

I'll cut right to the chase.
Despite setting the notebook to its most frugal use of the battery power, the fan kept coming on every few minutes or more often.
With video intensive stuff, the fan would come on almost right away.

The fan wasn't loud by any means, just annoying for me. I simply don't want to hear it, period.

The hard drive was quiet enough for me to have lived with, had the fan not been an issue.

As far as I know Fujitsu, Samsung and Dell are the only three name manufacturers that make fanless notebooks.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:52 am

Some ThinkPads should also be fanless.. At least when Pentium M was modern you could get ULV models which had no fan if i remember correctly. But apparently they are not, the X series tablet uses a low voltage PM but the noise rating is 41dB compared to 40dB for most ThinkPads.. Not a noticeable difference but i doubt its fanless.
The T series are the most quiet ThinkPads according to IBM specs, they are in the 34-35dB range. I dont know at what distance they maesure that, but to me they have always appeared as really quiet machines. The ones i've used have not had the fan come on at least in idle.