Sony UX230P "handtop" review?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vincentfox

Sony UX230P "handtop" review?

Post by vincentfox » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:02 pm

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 0&NoMapp=0

The price from TigerDirect seems pretty decent, just wondering how good it is.

miahallen

Made of money?

Post by miahallen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:21 pm

If you have the pocketbook for it. I look at the UMPC's as glorified PDAs. You're going to use it as a PDA/media player, but it is also a fully functional PC. If you have the $$$, it might be a fun toy, but for my $ I'll look elsewhere.

BTW, the newer revisions with more memory, faster processors, and SSD hard drives are coming out soon, hence the lower price on this model.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:51 pm

I was hoping for something a little more detailed than one person's final judgement. Thanks but I want more data. If I knew someone locally where I could try one out, I would do that. Lacking that, hoping someone will have pointers to a really detailed review. So far as I can find, this UX-230P is a new product. There are reviews of other Sony UX models but not this one.

I see prices at TigerDirect have bumped up to $1,299, so my interest is waning somewhat now.

miahallen

Re: Sony UX230P "handtop" review?

Post by miahallen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:13 am

vincentfox wrote:The price from TigerDirect seems pretty decent, just wondering how good it is.
I based my generalized comments on this generic question. If you'd like more detailed information, it'd behoove you give us an idea how you plan to use it, what strengths you were hoping for, what your highest priorities are for performance.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to get more information over the weekend while it was still on sale. I was on the fence. Unfortunately at this point the price has gone up so it's kind of a moot point for me.

I was mainly thinking to use it for Street Atlas USA, and lightweight on the road usage. I have a ThinkPad X22 on the road now which is nice, but doesn't have WWAN and lighter is always better.

I think at this point I'll wait a year or so until they show up on EBay as people run to Vista like lemmings and throw their XP systems in the trash.