SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

List of fanless laptops
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39694
Page 3 of 6

Author:  SilentISaid [ Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

toronado455 wrote:
SilentISaid wrote:
Here is a quote of the Asus Asus Eee PC 1011CX Netbook Review

...Cleaning the cooling fan isn't possible with this model...

Some models in some hot countries do have the fan so there should be a warning about that.


I read that bit about not cleaning the cooling fan, and though at first I found it a bit confusing, I concluded that it was merely a poor translation of German and all they were really saying was "cleaning the cooling fan is NOT APPLICABLE to this model". I can't imagine that it would be possible to just "add" a fan to this model as there is no provision for one in the interior design and no vents in the case.

Am I wrong about that? Which countries have the fan?


look in the pictures below, the casing includes a hole for the fan to sit in.

Author:  chooback [ Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

It seems Nav 13X has been cancelled (no mention on netbooknvigator.com as of today)...

The screen of my Q40 is doing worse and worse (very considerable cracks; it fell a few times.) I'm wondering whether to fish for a "new" one on ebay, or wait another 6 months hoping someone will finally introduce something fanless and at least 11"...

Does anyone have any reliable information on laptops with fans but sporting a 100% reliable silent mode? My computing power needs are modest - 6 years old Q40 is good enough for me.

Author:  toronado455 [ Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

chooback wrote:
6 years old Q40 is good enough for me.
What's a Q40?

Author:  chooback [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

toronado455 wrote:
chooback wrote:
6 years old Q40 is good enough for me.
What's a Q40?

Samsung Q40

Author:  Laszlo [ Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

The new Chromebooks announced today are both fanless and use an SSD for storage, so completely silent. Won't be for everyone because they only run ChromeOS, but great option as a second computer mostly for web browsing.

Author:  toronado455 [ Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Laszlo wrote:
The new Chromebooks announced today are both fanless and use an SSD for storage, so completely silent. Won't be for everyone because they only run ChromeOS, but great option as a second computer mostly for web browsing.


Might be a good choice for someone who wants an appliance-like device and knows nothing about computers. If it really runs as cool as they say, and is silent, that would be great. Just wondering how they are able to make a $250 laptop.

(edit: The secret sauce is ARM. That is why this thing can be fanless)

Does anyone know what GMail is like on a Chromebook? Is there a separate app/client for GMail, or does it just bring up the regular GMail website? Do Chromebooks have all the same Google ads in GMail and elsewhere that the Chrome web browser for PC has?

Author:  evalon [ Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Hi :D

Just wonder if there are any news on completely silent notebooks/ultrabooks (~13-14 inch screen) with an Intel chipset, good performance (need not be state of the art), good battery time, USB2 and Win7/Win8 software?

For my purposes it needs be an Intel chipset as they appear to be more reliable in terms of recording sound ...

Thanks for reading and maybe replying ;-)

Jesper

Author:  Pappnaas [ Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

I'm sorry, if it has no fan it's an ARM based tablet.

No new fanless laptops nowhere to be seen.

Author:  evalon [ Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Hi Pappnaas,

& thanks for replying :wink:

I currently have a Sony Vaio from their professional series and besides being a superb computer - as such - it's like being close to a "machine" most of the time. The fan is on most of the time and compared with other laptops it's actually noisy IMHO. So I'm really interested in finding a laptop with Intel processor, good performance etc. that is as silent as can be!

Hope people here may have suggestions ...

Greetings from a winterly Denmark,

Jesper

Author:  toronado455 [ Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

I suppose this might qualify:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sam ... 558.0.html

Author:  squash [ Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

toronado455 wrote:
Does anyone know what GMail is like on a Chromebook? Is there a separate app/client for GMail, or does it just bring up the regular GMail website? Do Chromebooks have all the same Google ads in GMail and elsewhere that the Chrome web browser for PC has?


I've had my samsung chromebook for a few months now, and I have to say that I pretty much love it.

As far as apps go, its Chrome and the Chrome Web Store, you can largely duplicate the experience on any system that can run Chrome, What you can't duplicate is the combination of light weight, silent operation, long battery life, and snappy performance, and you can't come anywhere close at this price point.

I don't even carry my old laptop any more (HP DM1z) unless I have a specific need (virtual machines is what gets me).

With that said, here are the downsides:
. Many apps are only useful when you have an internet connection.
. Media playback is limited to a few formats (but h264 in an .avi is fine)
. Dealing with multiple email accounts is not great, you pretty much need to run a webmail tab for each one, which doesn't really work if you have more than one account on a server.
. A 720p webcam would have been nice

There are a few other Chromebook models out there, but they're just cheap x86 laptops with all of the faults of cheap x86 laptops. The ARM model is truly different.

Author:  toronado455 [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP- ... 799.0.html

Atom-powered, fanless convertible (tablet & keyboard dock).

Author:  toronado455 [ Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

squash wrote:
I've had my samsung chromebook for a few months now, and I have to say that I pretty much love it.
Which model do you have? The ARM model?
squash wrote:
As far as apps go, its Chrome and the Chrome Web Store, you can largely duplicate the experience on any system that can run Chrome.
OK. I have been trying this out by using Chrome web browser on a PC. I just don't like Gmail. At all. I don't like the web client. If there was a different client you could run that would make a difference.

Have you tried the "Gmail Offline" web app for Chrome? Because, in my opinion, that is a much nicer eMail client for Gmail. I wish I could use it instead of the regular Gmail web client all the time.
However, I don't want the offline feature - I prefer to have all the mail stored on the server the way it normally is with IMAP.
squash wrote:
Dealing with multiple email accounts is not great, you pretty much need to run a webmail tab for each one, which doesn't really work if you have more than one account on a server.
Yeah, for that reason, it wouldn't work for me at all. But for someone with just a single eMail account it could be perfect.
squash wrote:
There are a few other Chromebook models out there, but they're just cheap x86 laptops with all of the faults of cheap x86 laptops. The ARM model is truly different.
I fully agree.

Author:  squash [ Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

My chromebook is indeed the ARM version.

While I do use GMail for one account (almost entirely for the instant messaging), I do most of my email through Roundcube webmail.

I have seen non-free webmail apps that claim to support multiple accounts, such as xandmail, but I don't have any experience with them.

Author:  toronado455 [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

squash wrote:
I have seen non-free webmail apps that claim to support multiple accounts, such as xandmail, but I don't have any experience with them.
I've discovered a (somewhat hidden) feature in the lastest version of the Fastmail.fm webmail. It allows you to be simultaneously logged into multiple Fastmail accounts (free and paid) using the same browser on the same computer.

The way it works is, you log in to one account, leaving the "keep me logged in" checkbox UNchecked. Then return to the Fastmail homepage (https://www.fastmail.fm/) and you are now presented with the option of logging into additional accounts - complete with a fancy little animation of the log in box which does a 3D spin around to reveal the "secret" feature.

Unfortunately you wouldn't even know the feature exists because there is no provision for switching between logged in accounts from within the mail client. You need to manually go to Fastmail homepage (https://www.fastmail.fm/) to access the account-switching functionality. Also, if you click the "keep me logged in" checkbox upon logging into the first account, the feature is completely unavailable.

Author:  paha_paawo [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Two more fanless dual-core atom tablets with ssd:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-10-Tablet.88933.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-VivoTab-TF810C-Convertible.88430.0.html

The Dell has 60Wh/30Wh battery options and dock, and Asus has keyboard dock with additional battery.
The Envy x2 11 and these two all seem to get 15hours+ battery life.

Too bad all have glossy displays, but that can be remedied with 3M privacy filter, at the cost of major hit to display brightness and contrast.

Author:  toronado455 [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

paha_paawo wrote:
Two more fanless dual-core atom tablets with ssd:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-10-Tablet.88933.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-VivoTab-TF810C-Convertible.88430.0.html

The Dell has 60Wh/30Wh battery options and dock, and Asus has keyboard dock with additional battery.
The Envy x2 11 and these two all seem to get 15hours+ battery life.

Too bad all have glossy displays, but that can be remedied with 3M privacy filter, at the cost of major hit to display brightness and contrast.



Of all of these Atom Z2760 powered devices, the ASUS VivoTab TF810C seems to have the most going for it. Though, that's just my opinion from reading about it. I have no personal experience using it.

I never bought a netbook during the netbook craze. This new generation of devices seems like a huge improvement in ways that matter to my usage scenario.

Author:  CA_Steve [ Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

HP’s Spectre 13 x2 fanless detachable Haswell notebook. This could be interesting.

Author:  toronado455 [ Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

CA_Steve wrote:
HP’s Spectre 13 x2 fanless detachable Haswell notebook. This could be interesting.
Very interesting. Full HD display with wide viewing angles, no fans, & SSD all seem good to me. An overall favorable assessment from Brad Linder.

Core i5 / i7 with no active cooling is bound to generate some heat. But the hybrid design puts all the heat generating components behind the screen and away from the keyboard area, so that shouldn't cause any usability issues (unless one is using it in tablet mode with the keyboard detached).

Author:  CA_Steve [ Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

It'll most likely be some of those crazy low TDP ULV processors running at a little over 1 GHz. Still, a big step up from the nettop class.

Author:  chooback [ Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Although Spectre looks quite promising, it still doesn't beat my current Dell X1 (I used to have Samsung Q40 but I downgraded - I have to say Dell X1 is somewhat more sturdy) in the only two categories I care about: 1) is it fanless and has screen >12"? (well, it's a draw :-), 2) how much does it weight? At 4.5 pounds Spectre would be ~50% heavier.

On the other hand, probably batter life will be better, but I'd trade some battery life for smaller weight any time of day.

Author:  toronado455 [ Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Acer Aspire E11 & V11

Bay Trail Fanless 11.6" Windows notebooks
http://liliputing.com/2014/04/acer-aspi ... ptops.html

Author:  CA_Steve [ Thu May 01, 2014 8:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Acer Aspire E11 & V11

toronado455 wrote:
Bay Trail Fanless 11.6" Windows notebooks
http://liliputing.com/2014/04/acer-aspi ... ptops.html


Quote:
..and supports up to 1TB of storage..

I have a bad feeling it's HDD only, given they cheap end of the market they are shooting for.

Author:  toronado455 [ Tue May 06, 2014 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Acer Aspire E11 & V11

CA_Steve wrote:
I have a bad feeling it's HDD only, given they cheap end of the market they are shooting for.
I'm sure you're probably right about that. From the photo of the bottom of the notebook, it appears one could possibly open it and swap the HDD for an SSD, though depending on the internal design, that can be a chore.

Author:  toronado455 [ Thu May 22, 2014 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Acer B115P (UK)

http://liliputing.com/2014/05/acer-laun ... aptop.html

This one does have SSD, but UK only for now.

Author:  aerial [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

11 inch, it is pretty much tablet with a keyboard.
I would love to get at least 15'' fanless laptop (preferably 17). Easy to do for designer, as large case fits larger heatsinks. But they are just refusing to make units like that.
If you pick office type of dell 17'' notebooks, with really low tdp haswell i3 or worse, without dedicated graphic card. What they do is, fit really small heatsink in this large 17'' case, and put conventional turbine there. Probably it is little bit cheaper.
It seems that very few people really care if laptop if fanless, can't find better explanation.

Author:  CA_Steve [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Asus showed off a 14" Broadwell based fanless laptop at Computex. I expect it won't be the only one. It should get interesting in Nov/Dec.

Author:  soricx [ Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

Hi,

Here are 2 laptops available in fanless design:
HP 250 with N3510 15,6" mate
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP- ... 321.0.html

Toshiba Satellite C50-A-1JU with n3520 15,6" glossy
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Upd ... 842.0.html
Also available with other Bay Trails chips

At least fanless design come back, thanks to Bay trail .
Soricx

Author:  soricx [ Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

I've bought the HP 250 with N3510, I can confirm it's absolutely fanless.
The harddisk is noisy. The laptop itself has a cheap look.

The processor is good for a sound player, and much more: no lags in windows seven and everything is fast enough.

All in all, I'm very happy with it !

Author:  CA_Steve [ Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: List of fanless laptops

soricx wrote:
I've bought the HP 250 with N3510, I can confirm it's absolutely fanless.
The harddisk is noisy. The laptop itself has a cheap look.

The processor is good for a sound player, and much more: no lags in windows seven and everything is fast enough.

All in all, I'm very happy with it !


You could always swap out the HDD with an SSD.

Page 3 of 6 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/