Dell XPS M1330

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davidstone28

Dell XPS M1330

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 pm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2150810,00.asp

Any reports / user experiences of noise levels or whether 8KGUI would work?

The only thing I've found is a comment on a forum but I don't know how accurate it is and obviously any fan will ramp running 3DMark.

"Yes, the palmrests do get warm even when idle and can be called quite hot when the system is under stress and the fan does get quite loud when running benchmarks."

jldelta

Post by jldelta » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:44 am

I also like the look & spec of the XPS M1330. I contacted Dell this morning to ask if it is actually fanless : after quite some time - nobody seemed to know - they replied that as far as they know it has at least one fan but will be "very quiet". I also see from the Dell forum that although you can order one, they will not ship in Europe before the end of July and will likely not be available in any volume till after the summer.

So quite some questions still to be answered.

At present my #1 wish list silent notebook is this the latest version of the new Panasonic Y7 (can't post a link as this is my first post, but it's on the GeekStuff4U website). The issue for me is that it has max 2G RAM, whereas the M1330 will take 4G (& faster ram as well), which is what I would prefer (I run financial applications).

I'll make a decision in September...

J.

pangloss

Post by pangloss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:36 am

jldelta wrote: At present my #1 wish list silent notebook is this the latest version of the new Panasonic Y7 (can't post a link as this is my first post, but it's on the GeekStuff4U website). The issue for me is that it has max 2G RAM, whereas the M1330 will take 4G (& faster ram as well), which is what I would prefer (I run financial applications).
I'm eyeing the Y7 as well. The 2G max is not a deal-breaker for me, but I'm a little bummed about the lack of Bluetooth. I noticed the Japanese Y5 also lacked Bluetooth, but the subsequent U.S. release included it (as well as the option for WWAN). Haven't been able to find any information about if/when a US release of the Y7 is due.

Stormwind

m1330

Post by Stormwind » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:57 am

I bought a Dell XPS m1330 because of the specs and the reviews that said it was very quiet.

Example review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3826

The m1330 I received is not very quiet (and is much louder than my previous self-build desktop system), but at least it is quieter than my old Dell m1210.

The hard drive (a Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM model, HTS722020K9A300) in the m1330 is probably the loudest part, sounding like a fan as it runs constantly and having a loud access noise even with AAM enabled in the BIOS.

The CPU fan is the next loudest, but when I peer into the case the CPU fan is not running at all unless I have a CPU intensive application running.

Many times I also hear the dreaded Intel mobile CPU whine (a high pitched electronic sound) that many Intel based notebook computers suffer from.

Dell next-day support brought a replacement hard drive of the same model but it was no quieter than the original drive. I may ask them to bring the 160GB 5400RPM and 7200RPM drives to see it if either of them are quieter.

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: m1330

Post by Copper » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:31 am

You may be able to solve the CPU whine noise. There is a post at Notebookreview.com where an individual reported success by disabling power management in the device manager for the Bluetooth Radio. It seems his notebook does not have the radio but it shows up in device manager just the same. Under the power management tab in the device manager for the Bluetooth Radio he unchecked the option "allow Windows to shut this device down to save power" and the noise disappeared, suggesting the hardware was trying to put to sleep a device that doesn't exist - and not liking it.

It's a quick try to see if it works.

Razor Blade

Post by Razor Blade » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Hey guys,

I bought an XPS m1330 about a week ago and admit I haven't tried much with it (been too darn busy at work, and i'm still waiting on an internet connection at home to update and download drivers and such)

But from what I have been doing (organizing, transferring, testing Vista, I will report that it is quiet! I have no problems with the CPU and it doesn't seem to make a whine noise for me. Although like I said, I wasn't able to "stress" the system yet. The hard drive on the other hand does make some noise. Nothing horribly loud but noticible in applications constantly accessing the HDD. As for heat, it can get warm to the touch when running for a while.

The DVD Burner slot drive is loud when first accessing a disc but I find not to bad. I honestly havn't owned a laptop since 1997, so I don't have much to compare to (other than a mega beast loud system) So this one seems supremely quiet to me! And i'm not deaf! :p

Anyways, i'll try and test it more in the next few weeks, but My rating would be a 8 out of 10 on the quiet scale. With a different HDD, I think this laptop would be a real winner. (I have the 120gb 5400rpm Hitachi in mine)

Any other questions, I'll do my best to answer.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:11 pm

jldelta wrote:I also like the look & spec of the XPS M1330. I contacted Dell this morning to ask if it is actually fanless : after quite some time - nobody seemed to know - they replied that as far as they know it has at least one fan but will be "very quiet". I also see from the Dell forum that although you can order one, they will not ship in Europe before the end of July and will likely not be available in any volume till after the summer.

So quite some questions still to be answered.

At present my #1 wish list silent notebook is this the latest version of the new Panasonic Y7 (can't post a link as this is my first post, but it's on the GeekStuff4U website). The issue for me is that it has max 2G RAM, whereas the M1330 will take 4G (& faster ram as well), which is what I would prefer (I run financial applications).

I'll make a decision in September...

J.
I once longed for a fanless laptop, but one with a fan that stays off on low cpu usage is sufficient IMHO. My dell 9400 core 2 duo runs passive between 50-58 degrees with stock thermal paste. Of couse, if you apply a load without undervolting, all bets are off. But for general word processing /firefox, it could easily run passive. My guess would be that most notebook CPUs these days can run passive, but are limited by the paranoid fan controller (not an issue with my dell).

I can't help but imagine what companies could accomplish if they went all out increasing the heatsink size by about 50% and using fans with low startup voltages. Some of these tiny notebook fans are quiet at 2,500rpm, they would be inaudible at half that speed IMO, and provide enough cooling even under load when undervolted.