It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop for the tropics
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:18 am 

A friend of mine asked me to look for a laptop for his father who lives in Southern India (Tamil Nadu). It can get very hot and moist over there, with those monsoons and all. Recently I advised someone else to buy a Toshiba Satellite L30-10T, but over here it's much cooler. Do people in South-East Asia use the same stuff as 'we' do, or are the laptops/desktops over there more adjusted to the conditions? Is there something I should look out for or just let that friend buy a simple laptop and take it with him when he visits his father?

Hmm, now that I'm thinking of it, it would be much better to buy a laptop there. Bangalore isn't that far away from Tamil Nadu. It's a bit silly to buy a laptop here that was flown in from China and then take it back by plane to India.

Looks like the answer was in the question. Thanks, everyone! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 am 

It turned out that Lenovo recently opened a factory in Pondicherry, 10 miles from where my friend's father is living. B)

But now that he doesn't have to take anything with him by plane he's considering buying a desktop. That would be better than a laptop considering the heat and humidity, right?

I remember an article here on SPCR for a PC to Thailand. I'll re-read that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:53 am 

Just because the stuff is made there, doesn't mean availablity or prices are great. They can be, of course, but there is no guarantee. So check ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 am 

I work in a group that has visiting engineers from Bangalore, and they are frequently buying laptops here before they head home. I believe mostly because the prices are better in the USA. They do need to be careful that the power adapter is one that will work in India with just a cheap, standard AC power cable change change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:26 pm 

if anything, you will need to get hold of a decent ups with line conditioning as
from my experience the electricity supplies in India are far from clean (free from spikes and brown-outs).