Recommendations on a Lenovo laptop

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ITemplate

Recommendations on a Lenovo laptop

Post by ITemplate » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 am

Hi,

I have tried several laptops e.g. HP dv5-1094, Acer Travelmate 5730, Dell Studio but all were way too loud. Idle level is good, but somehow I cant use the laptop whilst in idle mode?!

Anyways, what I really would want is a laptop with plenty hhd space (>=160G) and preferred with HDMI and camera (>=1.3M). I would like Vista too. I rate a good mouse pad and keyboard very high since this laptop is to replace our desktop model. But above all I want it to be silent or at least not sounding like an aeroplane just because the wife browses faceb....Usage is best categorised as "office" and with WiFi on all time. The price is irrelevant.

I have my eye on these:
Lenovo T500 (perfect but w WinXP and w/o camera)
Lenovo SL500 (40db - is that lower than, say, a Dell Studio?)

Basically I would like some recommendation on the diffrences in the Lenovo series. Take my 2 favourites from above - I cant really grasp what the difference in 65w v/s 90w heat means IRL - or 36db v/s 40db? Its also hard to compare with the laptops I have had so far - since none of them specifies heat/loudness. For example I'm writing this thread on a HP-Compaq 6710b which most of the time is quiet enough but I dont have any idea if we are talking 36db or 50db...

Does anyone know if the decibel specs ono the Lenovo site are minimum, maximum or something in between?

As we dont require true portability, but just the portability going from living room to kitchen to the garden, I wonder if there are other Lenovo products that would suffice?

--

joelmusicman

Post by joelmusicman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 am

I have a T400, and it's GREAT! Noisewise, it's very quiet. My wife's old Toshiba has a really loud fan on it, but the fan on my Thinkpad is just about inaudible (I think I might be able to hear it under load if the background noise is very quiet).

Probably the loudest part of it is the 5400rpm hard drive's muted "crunchy" seek noises. If I had the money, I'd opt for an SSD or at least a 7200 for quieter operation.

Expect the same performance for the T500. I'd also consider the R series over SL (Think of Dell's cheaper Vostro line).

As an aside, I have no heat issues with the underside. I can use it on bare skin (shorts) with no discomfort.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm

You can't beat the keyboard on Thinkpads. They are more business oriented though...

Maccer

Post by Maccer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 am

MoJo wrote:You can't beat the keyboard on Thinkpads. They are more business oriented though...
Can't argue with you there, I have an old T41 and its the easiest keyboard I have ever used including desktop keyboards.