Calling all NEW Dell owners

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cloneman

Calling all NEW Dell owners

Post by cloneman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

Would you please post (i.e. test) if your new-gen dell supports i8kfangui for fan control?

I'm looking into newer inspirons or studio notebooks. Typically dell is generous - letting the temps slip to 70C before fans are turned on. This is awesome as web browsing, even youtube (non-HD), often keeps the CPU below 60C.

What I need to know

1) What Temp does your Dell turn the fan on
2) does i8kfangui work for fan _control_ ?
3) What videocard you have installed, and which dell model you have

Catching

Post by Catching » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:04 am

why dont you get acer or hp?

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:17 am

Acer & HP don't have fan control at all, LOL (except for acer aspire 1)

TangoGranny

Post by TangoGranny » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:19 pm

No testing, but Dell has supported, or rather, one could use that app since back before the 9300 inspirons came out.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... 8&page=105

Works fine on my XPS 1720, 1310 and 1420's, as well as an older 9300

C2D's (all)
Gf 7800/7950gtx/8400 GS gpu's
All 2-4gb ddr2

Fans come on when things get hot, like you noticed.
I'll check temps and post back when I can.

TangoGranny

Post by TangoGranny » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Works fine on all my systems.
I'm not going to use it though, as the fans are quiet most of the time unless I'm compiling or rendering or doing intensive 3D stuff... I'm scared to let an app take over my hard ware now that my warranties have expired!

LOL.
cool app though, it's for sure going into my arsenal!!!!
8)

p.s. the version I have allows me to set the temps on when the CPU/GPU fans come on, either hard-set it or auto-set it, or run either slow, fast or something in between. Pretty nice app!!!

I'm tempted to use it regular, to see when and where and keep the fans on low a lot... they're silent fans on low and medium...and only noticeable on high. T7400 is the fastest CPU in my laptops... they're all T5300's or above (all intel C2D's). If I feel brave I'll set the app to auto-start and run the fans on low or medium for anything above 50c...

the fans come on at 60c usually for my hottest -XPS 1710.

anisebal

Post by anisebal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 am

if you want to control your fan speed then just go through the ehow site and search the control speed of the fan.
I can give you some steps for that:
Check in your laptop's BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) to see if the fan speed is available. The BIOS provides an interface for a computer's hardware and software. This is where you can find the basic settings of the computer. You can go to the BIOS by doing a shutdown and upon restarting your computer, hitting F10 on your keyboard (F key and the number 10 key). You can change the settings from there by toggling the dropdown menu or prompt. Once done, go ahead and hit "Save."