It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quest for quiet notebook
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am 

Hi,

Any suggestions on a QUIET notebook? I need one with 4+g RAM and video with a external port to a monitor. My price max is about $800. Other than that I don't need a gaming rig but will probably play some simple games on it. My thought was to buy one with a SSD, as those seem the quietest, but I can't find many offered and reviews are hard to find. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Quest for quiet notebook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:21 pm 

I'm using an ASUS UL30. It comes with 4 GB of RAM and a dual-core CULV processor. Mine only has integrated Intel video--but it only cost me a bit under $600, and I don't play complex games anyway. Standard on it is a 500 GB hard disk, which I use now as an external backup drive as I put in a Seagate 500 GB hybrid drive with a built-in 4 GB solid state drive component. That was an extra $130, but I wanted the backup drive anyway but could not afford an adequately-large SSD for it when I bought it last Summer.

I rarely hear the fan or the disk, even though the machine is usually on fourteen hours or more per day. Where I have it is normally very close to my face, too--on the arm of a chair immediately next to the bed.

It has a 13.3" screen and does not have an internal DVD drive--I have an inexpensive external DVD for those times I actually need it--which is fairly rare these days.

For the money, I think it is hard to beat--as I believe the quality is better than the Acer Timeline I have seen and the warranty is also better--as is the frequency of repair for ASUS being reported in the last two years or so.

Battery life is outstanding, too--rated at "up to eleven hours" although with WIFI on and watching some videos, it seems to go between four and six hours as a practical matter.

Oh, yes, I also like that it is only 3.7 pounds and well under an inch thick.

I hadn't been on the site in a while, so I apologize if this is too late to help.