Best choices for Graphics card in a laptop for video editing

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JoeClark

Best choices for Graphics card in a laptop for video editing

Post by JoeClark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 am

Hello,

I planing on buying a laptop mainly to do video edits with, sony vegas pro 12, photoshop, adobe after effects and adobe premier. Of course I'll use it daily for web browing too.

Anyways my question is when looking for a laptop that will allow me to render vids easily, with good quality, also that will allow me to see the preview in hd and fluently, without being worried that it'll crash whats the most important thing to look for, RAM, or Didicated Graphic Cards? I chaecked out graphics card video to know which would be the best.I'm not a computer expert, but I do know my fair share please try to make it easy for me to understand.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Abula

Re: Best choices for Graphics card in a laptop for video edi

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:33 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Laptops today have very good hardware, the CPU are barely behind the desktop counter parts, specially the K versions can be overlcocked to very high levels, as long as your laptop has the cooling to sustain it.

Laptop manufacturers like Dell/Alienware, Lenovo, HP, Acer, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte/Aorus, Clevo/Sager manfucature laptops with dedicated gpus, they are more in line with gaming gpus, but its up to you to see if those gpus will work with the applications you wish. Nvidia this generations have released very similar laptop gpus to the desktops, in most cases they are in specs almost the same, just lower clocks and voltages.

There are rumors that Coffee lake is being rush out out of what AMD has brought to the market, many expect it before years end, the 8700K is rumored that will be the first 6 core with a igpu, many on NBR believe there will be also Coffee lake mobile cpu with 6 cores, so this might be better for you and your editing, again as long as your laptop can handle the heat. Personally i like MSI a lot for laptops, but they are not by any means a quiet laptop, i would say Asus builds quieter setups, but when i travel i moved to places that sometimes have above 40C ambient temps, so i still prefer some noise due to the locations i use them.

My suggestion for you, is to go to NotebookReview forums, open an account there and start by open a thread in the "what notebook should I buy" (follow the sticky), upon the suggestion received, go to the brands section and look for the laptop owner lounge, you can post questions there that most likely owners will answer, there are tons of people there that can help you more than what i can tell you, that keep up to date with the newer laptops and hardware inside them.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 am

If the workstation's primary purpose is for video editing, you may be limiting your productivity by using a laptop. CPU and discrete GPU performance is much less on a laptop than a desktop system due to the thermal constraints of the former. Of course, this is also dependent on the s/w, the complexity of the task and the video resolution.

If this is where you can only afford one thing and that leads to getting a laptop for portability and home use, you might consider getting one that is compatible with some of the external GPU elements out there...like the Dell Razor Core using Thunderbolt 3. Upside is a big desktop GPU. Don't know how well it works/compatibility...I do know these things tend to only support stock cards, so, probably pretty loud at load. There are some other Thunderbolt based external gfx boxes out there...I don't know how well they work... Apple is working on an external gfx box as well...but only available to app developers now.

A couple of resources:
Puget Systems is a great integrator of quiet PCs..and they also benchmark workstations using Premiere Pro, etc. You can get a feel for CPU/GPU impact there.
Notebookcheck is a good source for detailed laptop reviews.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm

For video editing, a good GPU helps but the CPU is far more important.

A laptop with a mobile version of the GTX 1050 (or GTX 1060) should be plenty as long as it has a great CPU.