A Mini Review: Logitech diNovo Cordless Media Keyboard

Closely moderated reviews by forum members willing to share their experience and accept stiff peer review. Open only to registered forum members.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:09 am

My views haven't changed that much.

The keyboard is quiet but the keys have a slight rubber dome feel underneath them (which is probably why they're quiet).

You do notice the slight lag but I can't say that its caused me problems or that I've found it annoying. High speed touch typists or gamers might find it slightly more irritating.

The one thing that I do find slightly irritating is the actual layout of some of the keys. The function keys are offset. So, F1 is above the number 2, F2 above number 3 etc. The function keys and insert keys are all smaller sized. I also think the Enter keys is definitely too far away from the QWERTY area.

The 'extra keys' such a volume, FF, REW, email, homepage etc are very useful as is the cordless aspect - particularly if watching DVDs / videos from a distance away.

If they could provide some keymapping software, the keyboard (particularly keypad) would have considerably more functionality.

Chris Ochre

Post by Chris Ochre » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:00 am

davidstone28 wrote:The one thing that I do find slightly irritating is the actual layout of some of the keys. The function keys are offset. So, F1 is above the number 2, F2 above number 3 etc.
isn't that the standard layout? i'm currently using an old standard hp keyboard, and because of the escape key and the space between the esc key and f1, it ends up above the number 2 key. the ` key is on the left, with the number 1 key below the space between esc and f1, and so on.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:15 am

Yes i believe this is the standard layout, the UltraX is like this too.

Im not going for wireless, i hate changing batteries and you need to install more drivers... And then theres the lag. I dont need to take my keyboard with me anywhere either.. I have also never found the mouse-cord to be in the way.

The perfect keyboard would be one with standard layout, meaning not cramped together, without numpad. Then i would get a separate Numpad and place it on the other side of the mouse.

Sory for the OT, good little review though :)

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:09 pm

I have the diNovo for a couple of weeks now... But there's one very annoying thing with this keyboard and I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or standard behavior...

When not using the US keyboard layout, I need to use the numeric keypad to get the slash. Sometimes, when I press that key on the numeric keypad, I need to wait about 2 or 3 seconds before I can press any key on the keyboard, or press that key 3 times in a row before it appears on-screen... This is very frustrating when programming or doing HTML. I tried to change the channel a couple of times, the keyboard is secured and the latest SetPoint is installed... Is this a standard issue with the diNovo or should I just RMA it?

Apart that, there's no problem at all with this keyboard... I get some lag with the numeric keypad sometimes, but just a little... The mouse is pretty good compared to my old one (I had a Logitech Corless Freedom Optical before) but I took a little time to to get use to it.

I'm still happy with this keyboard... But if I need to replace it because it's defective, maybe I'll pay the difference for the bluetooth version...

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies and continuing this thread.

nici points out one of the main advantages to me for this keyboard - that it separates the Numpad from the main keyboard, allowing the mouse, which I use much more then the Numpad, to be closer. This keyboard search started because I'd prefer a smaller one to reduce the offset reach to the mouse, as well as eliminate the loud clacking from my current cheap keyboard.

The alternate functions of the separate Numpad are pretty cool, but I wouldn't pay extra just for them.

The wireless feature is less appealing. In fact, I'll keep using the Logitech MX310 wired mouse which I like very much. If I go with a PSK-5000, the mouse will be plugged directly into it to keep the cord from dragging on the mouse toward the back of the desk. (Am I sensitive princess or what!?)

The UltraX is my third choice at this point. Many consider it their far and away favorite keyboard, but the extra key features don't include ones that I do use (volume), and the DiNovo offers some that I might like (direct access to My Computer, Docs and Pics, Undo/Redo, Save, Print). The DiNovo is also the only one I've had "hands-on" although I'm fairly convinced that the other two are nearly identical to it for noise and feel.

Yes, it's expensive compared to the PSK-5000 and UltraX, but it's also the primary tactile relationship with the computer, so some premium to maximize that experience might be worthwhile. I don't think many would regret the extra spent on an LCD monitor to improve the visual experience.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon May 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Edit: I decided to add the UltraX/PSK5000 and Kensington SlimType to my rankings. It may also be of interest that I might have gotten a lemon (I returned it) with the RF lag. Right now I'm using a Kensington SlimType keyboard and I'm quite pleased with the results.

The diNovo would have been the perfect keyboard for me had it not had that lag.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Tue May 03, 2005 1:02 pm

Daba,

May I ask you a simple question? I have a DiNovo for a couple of weeks now and I have some sort of lag, but only if I use the detachable keypad... I never noticed any lag using the keyboard itself... But when I press a key on the "keypad" and try to press a key on the "keyboard" after, I get an awful lag. I need to "wait" 2 or 3 seconds before being able to press any key on the keyboard... Otherwise, no character is sent, there's no kind of buffer. If I'm not careful enough when I type, I can miss some characters and it's pretty annoying when programming or doing HTML!...

When you talked about the lag, did you mean that your keyboard stopped responding for a second or two, or that you had to wait for the characters to appear onscreen after you finished typing? I'm about to return the whole thing myself for that annoying lag and Logitech has no clue!... The latest SetPoint is installed and this problem appears "outside" Windows as well, so I'm sure it's hardware related.

I'm wondering if the bluetooth version is better... :?

nici

Post by nici » Tue May 03, 2005 2:40 pm

I have the Bluetooth version, the original not the 2.0(not that i know what the difference is). But anyway, no lag when randomly typing the following with numbers from numpad and letters from the keyboard, d6586f8f65gh4f5d96d+f9g7d+s45fg+. Just as fast as i would type the numbers on the keyboard as well. Is this what you meant with the lag?

So i would guess this only an issue with the notebook version? :?

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Tue May 03, 2005 3:25 pm

Slaugh:

The type of lag I was getting using the keyboard part (not the numpad, that had no lag) of the diNovo. The lag wasn't as drastic as 2 or 3 seconds per se, more like half a second, which was very annoying to me. It was more like a sluggish lag rather than an extremely noticable lag. Observers couldn't really notice it, only the typist.

Logitech never replied to my e-mails, so I gave up on the thing.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Tue May 03, 2005 5:42 pm

Well, I don't know if I can call it "lag".

The keyboard really stops responding after any key on the keypad is pressed, except the other ones on the keypad itself. So if I'm typing for example </style> and don't wait about 2 seconds between the slash and the s, most of the time, I only get something like </>. None of the s-t-y-l-e keys are sent and I only get the last character (which is typed about 1 or 2 seconds after the slash). The slash used is the one on the keypad because I have to use different keyboard layouts for my work... So I'm not sure if I can really call this "lag"... Sometimes, the keyboard and keypad work as expected but most of the time, I get this nasty and annoying problem... Seems more a hardware problem to me... I just wanted to be sure before RMA the diNovo.

Like many others, I also tried sending a E-Mail to Logitech and never got any reply...

Maybe I'll end up with a good old BTC keyboard! :cry:

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Tue May 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Slaugh,

I attempted to duplicate your lag problem on my few-days old non-Bluetooth DiNovo. I didn't notice any lag, whether I was typing only from the keyboard, only from the numpad, or mixing entries from both. I mixed in the slash from both, numbers from both and still no problems. Sounds like you have an RMA situation.

If it matters, I'm NOT using the wireless mouse that came with this DiNovo combination - definitely prefer my six button wired MX-310 mouse.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Wed May 04, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks dfrost!

Well, I think I have no choice but to RMA it! I'm glad to hear that this is not a general issue! I really like this keyboard... I don't know if it's just me, but I had more trouble with Logitech than with any other brand! :?

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:19 pm

Questions

Is there still lag on this keyboard? did logitech ever fix that

also, is it just the verison with the RF? how about the bluetooth one, is there lag with that

TIA
~RaNDoM

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:26 pm

RaNDoMMAI wrote:Questions

Is there still lag on this keyboard? did logitech ever fix that

also, is it just the verison with the RF? how about the bluetooth one, is there lag with that

TIA
~RaNDoM
My diNovo Bluetooth Laser has no lag.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:53 am

A friend told me last night that he needed shoulder rehabilitation as result of using a wide keyboard that pushed his mouse far to the side. Gee, I wonder if I could get medical insurance to cover the cost of my DiNovo as a preventative measure? :lol:

No lag in my non-Bluetooth DiNovo either, as I've reported previously.

I'd also asked a while back about cleaning a DiNovo, since mine was acting strangely. That behavior was corrected by simply reconnecting with the little red buttons on the USB dongle and keyboard.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:58 am

I've been using this keyboard for a few months now, can't say I've noticed any lag. I really like it, though it does take a few minutes to re-adjust to the laptop-sized keys when I get home from using a full-sized keyboard all day at work.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:03 pm

Thx for the replies!

I have been using the Logitech UltraX for a year plus now. Its been awesome but i really like the way the DiNiovo looks and how it is wireless. i will have to ask for that as a gift=)

~RaNDoM

mancini

Post by mancini » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 am

YES , the standard layout is with F1 above 2

BUT , you guys are forgetting a major change , the offset of the insert button and nalargement of delete

Being a programmer i use copy/paste a lot and the legacy yet largely unrecognised copy paste shortcuts are shift+insert/ctrl+insert

The diferentiation of the insert/delete buttons greatly enhances usability of those shortcuts , i just wish they would had made insert the big one

ALSO , i get absolutely no lag on windows 2000 without the drivers installed , and only the media button does not work

Be aware that the reciever broadcasts in the 2.4 GHz spectrum which is used by most wireless and wifi devices , i was able to maximize range and minimize interference with my 802.11g lan by keeping the logitech reciever half meter away from my wifi NIC , with opossing facing and with the connect button facing the mouse and keyboard.

And i have no noise whatsoever above the -100 frequency range , you can check for radio noise with Network Stumbler if you have a wifi nic

AND do not use the reciever or keyboard near a CRT monitor if you do not want interference

And see the Matrix of Compatibilities, Channels, and Frequencies for All Logitech Cordless Devices page.

I used a UltraX keyboard for almost 2 years befor a diNovo and it is the best money i have spent

THIS APPLIES TO THE FIRST VERSION NOT THE LASER BLETOOTH VERSION , I HEAR OF REALLY BAD BLUETOOTH IMPLEMENTATION ON THAT ONE

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 am

I own the non-bluetooth version, got it for $50 new in box on ebay, and I can honestly say it's the nicest keyboard I've owned. No lag to speak of. The one thing I wish it had was a battery meter on the number pad, I don't get any warning, and then it's dead.