HR-05 Sli edition, missing the cushion pad

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

HR-05 Sli edition, missing the cushion pad

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 14, 2007 1:40 am

I got HR-05 sli dirt cheap as 2nd hand. But its missing the cushion pad. I am wondering how safely you can use that, without fearing to core crushing chipset or how you could self make good and safe cushion pad?

What I know, the nForce 4 motherboards do not have support ring and core is small, so its prety vulnerable for core crushing.

Or should I try to contact Thermalright and ask if they can supply one extra cushion pad? ( Although I'd think they would refuse )

kater

Post by kater » Mon May 14, 2007 3:59 am

Before I got the SLI version I had the standard HR-05 and I never used the cushion. First time I tried to use it but it was too thick and there was virtually no contact between the HS and the chip. Maybe because my NB chip has some kind of rubbery collar on the PCB. Anyway, I never crushed anything, NB works perfectly fine. The cooler is not that heavy in the first place to fear some kind of damage. Meh, don't worry about that, not a big deal.
Not having a shim around Socket A CPU's could be a little dangerous, but that's because people were using heavyweight coolers like all copper Tr's or Tt BT etc. Most users, however, were not even aware how vulnerable the core of an Athlon XP was and were just happy and easy :D

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 14, 2007 4:21 am

I am not worrying that much. I got the HR-05 sli around halfprice compeared to new one. And its almost brand new. Everything else is there but cushion. I bought it for spare as I have been using HR-05 Sli which I bought new for quite some time and I am very pleased for its performance.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 pm

Just use some tape between to cooler and the chip (around the core, not on it)