E6300 + G43 vs. Athlon II X2 + 760G/785G for home server

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kal001

E6300 + G43 vs. Athlon II X2 + 760G/785G for home server

Post by kal001 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm building new home server powered by Linux. According to the tests on web, I can't decide which platform to go. Everybody post different results :( I'm considering especially these topics:

- support for Virtualization
(AMD has nested paging, Intel has IOMMU on Q-series chipsets)

- support for ad-on card (SATA/SAS controler) in PCIe 16x slot with functional IGP
(some of the motherboards disable IGP, when card is plugged into PCIe16x, some of the motherboards don't support non-graphics cards in PCIe16x)

- power consumption

....etc

So, which platform to go and why?

somename

Post by somename » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:19 pm

If the main purpose of the server is as a file server, I'd recommend AMD solution because I'd highly recommend ECC memory for such environment and because ECC is much cheaper to implement with AMD monetarily and in power usage.

I recommend ECC because I've found data integrity tends to deteriorate over time without preventive measures. I've always stored my documents in compressed formats, and I've found a good number of them had errors when I decided to re-archive everything in rar format a few months ago. Out of 1000+ compressed files I've accumulated over 15+ years, I think 5-10% of files had errors. Of course, a lot of things could have caused those errors such as faulty memory or faulty disk systems, but if I had taken some preventive measures against data corruption such as ECC memory, I likely would have reduced the error rate quite a bit. ECC, of course, isn't fail proof. It merely detects error when it happens and not 100% of the time either. The file server I'm building will be based on Solaris because ZFS has checksum built in, and I also now archive my files with parity data.

ECC isn't necessary though if the files will mostly be on disks statically without being copied or moved much. Also, if file systems with integrity checking like ZFS are used, ECC is probably somewhat redundant for that purpose(not so if you use applications that deals with large data in the memory). I decided to go with ECC because I might find dealing with Solaris too difficult and go with another OS/file system and because being extra paranoid probably doesn't hurt.

If you decide you don't need ECC, I would suggest to go with AMD if you want to build it cheaply or to go Intel if you need extra processing power for virtualization. I've built a couple AMD machines with 4850e with a 740G board and a nvidia 8200 board, and they idled around 45W(though I know people have machines idling below 40W). However, I don't think 4850e is a great CPU if you run more than a couple of VMs. My set up definitely struggled, especially with heavy i/o. This was on server 2003 with vmware, so the performance might be better on Linux platform though.

I know more than a few people believe Intel chipsets are much worse than AMD's power consumption-wise, but my experience doesn't correlate. I've tried out Zotac GF9300 mini-itx with Petium e6300, and it idled at 44W(for comparison, it idled at 45W with e7400 and at 53W with e8400). I have dq45cb on order, and I believe it would idle at a bit lower wattage. I think VMs run snappier with e6300 than with 4850e also. e8400 would be a good option if you're going to run a couple of VMs or perhaps even q8400.

kal001

Post by kal001 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 pm

somename =>

E6300 is better choice than 4850e. This is obvious. But 4850e/5050e CPUs are obsolete. AMD now ships Athlon II 240/245/250 CPUs. Since this si K10+ architecture, they support Nested Pages, which is advantage for virtualization.On the other hands Intel Core2 does not support this feature and Intel implement it in Core i7.

Core2 can be paired with Q43/45 chipset with support of IOMMU, wich helps VM to work with I/O devices. AMD wil implement this in RD800 chipsets in future.

kal001

Post by kal001 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Intel Q45 also support AMT. Does anybody has an experience with it?

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 am

+1 for ECC support. Depending on what your server will be doing, you don't need much CPU performance at all. I just copied this for my new unRAID media server: "Biostar A760G-M2+ - 30W barrier broken". The Biostar board is CHEAP, has ECC support in BIOS, has 6 SATA ports on-board, and can take a PCIe SATA expansion card in the PCIe x16 slot (my Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 cannot - it's video only). It's also very small, in case you intend to use deep hot-swap backplanes.