ASUS H170 Gaming Pro RAM

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cmkrnl

ASUS H170 Gaming Pro RAM

Post by cmkrnl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm looking at the ASUS H170 Pro Gaming motherboard for my next build. I'm going to use this system for software development and light graphics work, with 3 or 4 monitors, no gaming, no OCing. For the processor, I'm looking at the i5-6600, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a graphics card to be determined later. The graphics card is to simply drive my 3 or 4 monitors. I expect to use this system for 5-7 years. I see that the fastest memory the H170 supports is DDR4 2133 MHz. Is this going to be a bottleneck in the future since there is even faster DDR4 memory already available?

I tried without success to find the memory OVL on the ASUS web site. Does anyone know how to find it?
What memory would you recommend, assuming I'll go with 2x8GB DIMMs?

Thanks!

Abula

Re: ASUS H170 Gaming Pro RAM

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 pm

cmkrnl wrote:The graphics card is to simply drive my 3 or 4 monitors.
Before buying a GPU just to have multiple monitors, give a shot to intel iGPU, it should support triple monitor, and H170 Pro Gaming has all the possible video outs.
cmkrnl wrote:Is this going to be a bottleneck in the future since there is even faster DDR4 memory already available?
Really will depend on what you are doing with it, gaming doesnt benefit much, but editing/encoidng should, weather justifies the price, its only up to you.
cmkrnl wrote:I tried without success to find the memory OVL on the ASUS web site. Does anyone know how to find it?
Asus H170 Gaming official Wepage --> Click Support ---> Click Memory/Device Support ---> Then on the middle look for the second option "DDR4 4DIMM memory report - 2016/05/09 Update" = Non-Z170_DDR4_4DIMM_memory_QVL_report160216.pdf
cmkrnl wrote:What memory would you recommend, assuming I'll go with 2x8GB DIMMs?
I'm running on my Test Bench an H170Pro Gaming with Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB) CT2K8G4DFD8213 no issues. Also did a build for a friend two weeks ago with H170 Pro Gaming with Crucial 16GB Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHz UDIMM Memory Module Kit (2 x 8GB) BLS2K8G4D240FSA and no issues either, btw i didn't checked if it was running at 2400, the pc is with him so i have no way of checking. Check the QVList above to see what fits your budget and speed desires, i personally run stock.

cmkrnl

Post by cmkrnl » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Abula wrote:
cmkrnl wrote:The graphics card is to simply drive my 3 or 4 monitors.
Before buying a GPU just to have multiple monitors, give a shot to intel iGPU, it should support triple monitor, and H170 Pro Gaming has all the possible video outs.
I'm going to start out using the integrated graphics. If it doesn't work well enough for me, I wanted to make sure I had the ability to add a graphics card later.
cmkrnl wrote:Is this going to be a bottleneck in the future since there is even faster DDR4 memory already available?
Really will depend on what you are doing with it, gaming doesnt benefit much, but editing/encoidng should, weather justifies the price, its only up to you.
cmkrnl wrote:I tried without success to find the memory OVL on the ASUS web site. Does anyone know how to find it?
Abula wrote:Asus H170 Gaming official Wepage --> Click Support ---> Click Memory/Device Support ---> Then on the middle look for the second option "DDR4 4DIMM memory report - 2016/05/09 Update" = Non-Z170_DDR4_4DIMM_memory_QVL_report160216.pdf
Thanks. I had a brain cramp and forgot to allow javascript for asus.com.
cmkrnl wrote:What memory would you recommend, assuming I'll go with 2x8GB DIMMs?
I'm running on my Test Bench an H170Pro Gaming with Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB) CT2K8G4DFD8213 no issues. Also did a build for a friend two weeks ago with H170 Pro Gaming with Crucial 16GB Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHz UDIMM Memory Module Kit (2 x 8GB) BLS2K8G4D240FSA and no issues either, btw i didn't checked if it was running at 2400, the pc is with him so i have no way of checking. Check the QVList above to see what fits your budget and speed desires, i personally run stock.
Thanks! I have no intention of OCing the memory or using anything not on the QV list.

cmkrnl

Post by cmkrnl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:30 pm

I've built my new PC and now I want to backup up the bios. EZ-Update doesn't seem to have that option. I loaded the utilities that came on the CD with the motherboard and didn't find anything that seemed like it would do the job. A search turns up ASUS Update on softpedia that doesn't mention Windows 10 support.

How do I backup my bios before doing an update?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:09 pm

cmkrnl wrote:I've built my new PC and now I want to backup up the bios. EZ-Update doesn't seem to have that option. I loaded the utilities that came on the CD with the motherboard and didn't find anything that seemed like it would do the job. A search turns up ASUS Update on softpedia that doesn't mention Windows 10 support.

Sorry I never seen an backup bios, what i usually do is take pictures with my ipad/cel, update and enter and change all back.

cmkrnl

Post by cmkrnl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Abula wrote:
cmkrnl wrote:I've built my new PC and now I want to backup up the bios. EZ-Update doesn't seem to have that option. I loaded the utilities that came on the CD with the motherboard and didn't find anything that seemed like it would do the job. A search turns up ASUS Update on softpedia that doesn't mention Windows 10 support.

Sorry I never seen an backup bios, what i usually do is take pictures with my ipad/cel, update and enter and change all back.
Thanks. I wasn't talking about the settings, I was talking about the bios itself. A friend built a new PC recently and said his bios had a back up feature built into the bios where it would backup the current bios to a flash drive. I was hoping to do the same with my bios.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:01 pm

cmkrnl wrote:
Abula wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't talking about the settings, I was talking about the bios itself. A friend built a new PC recently and said his bios had a back up feature built into the bios where it would backup the current bios to a flash drive. I was hoping to do the same with my bios.
Unless you mobo has dual bios you wont recover from a bios flash that goes wrong, its only recommend it if you have issues, else leave it alone. You can download the bios you have atm on Asus, probably its 0703, but wont do you any good if you flash fails, its more a motherboard feature to have dual bios. If you do in fact want to proceed flashing your bios, do it in the bios, not in windows, flashing through the bios is (imo) the easiest and the safest, that said it still can go wrong, btw if you computer reboots or becomes unresponsive do not reset it or power it off, let the bios do its thing.

cmkrnl

Post by cmkrnl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Yes, I have version 0703 which appears to be the latest. I wasn't planning on replacing it. If an update becomes available, I'll dig out my one remaining very long cat-5 cable, connect directly to my router, and update from within the bios as you suggested.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:14 pm

cmkrnl wrote:Yes, I have version 0703 which appears to be the latest
Nope, its not the latest since may 26th. Weather you find it worth it to upgrade its up to you, i don't recommend it, unless you are having an issue that you need to fix.

cmkrnl

Post by cmkrnl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Abula wrote:
cmkrnl wrote:Yes, I have version 0703 which appears to be the latest
Nope, its not the latest since may 26th. Weather you find it worth it to upgrade its up to you, i don't recommend it, unless you are having an issue that you need to fix.

That's interesting. When I used the EZ-Update program on Windows 10, it said there was nothing to update. I guess I know now I can't trust the Windows application.

unless I experience stability issues, I'll skip the updates.

Thanks!