Quiet Chipset Cooling?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mooneyass

Quiet Chipset Cooling?

Post by mooneyass » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:55 am

Hey All,

Wasnt sure where to put this so I'll post here. I just put together a hoover of a PC and am starting the silencing. I've ordered an Actic Cooling VGA cooler as well as the AC Freezer 64. I'll post here once I get them up and running.

But on to my question: What would you recommend for chipset cooling? I had a little Zalman passive northbridge cooler before but am unsure that this'll be enough on the ASUS A8N-SLI. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:31 pm

My board came with a large aluminum NB heatsink, complete with a noisy fan. I replaced the thing with this Swiftech heatsink, from which I immediately removed the fan. I like this design because of the heavy copper base, and the pin fins.

I did a mod job on the pins to promote better passive cooling. Seems to work well, keeping the NB usually under 45C (these things run hot).

Those flimsy little Zalman NB heatsinks look questionable to me also... :lol:

ckolivas

Re: Quiet Chipset Cooling?

Post by ckolivas » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:40 pm

mooneyass wrote:But on to my question: What would you recommend for chipset cooling? I had a little Zalman passive northbridge cooler before but am unsure that this'll be enough on the ASUS A8N-SLI. Any suggestions?
Welcome to SPCR!

According to MikeC the zalman northbridge cooler should be capable of cooling any northbridge chip currently in production.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:11 am

The current reports are that the Zalman NB47J is OK for the Asus A8N-SLI if you are not overclocking (compared with the stock HSF the temp increases by ~14C). Some ariflow over it is required however. There is also the Thermalright NB-1 with 45 mm fan - which would have to be slowed down a bit.
I am in the process of designing and manufacturing a prototype of a nForce4-SLI heatsink that would allow the use of two AC Silencers.
Right now, the specs are ~4 times heavier than NB47J and surface area ~8 times greater. Does anyone know if there's a weight limit on the chipset heatsinks? I saw the new Thermalright NB-1C (for Copper) is 270g - which I think it's a lot.

mooneyass

Post by mooneyass » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:42 am

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I'm currently waiting for some parts to come in and will get a Zalman passive NB cooler to try out.

Currently I'm overclocking my AMD64 3000 to 2.3 GHz but will back it down once I quiet the beast down.

Again, thanks,

Wes

ArcticOC

Post by ArcticOC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:04 am

Tzupy wrote:The current reports are that the Zalman NB47J is OK for the Asus A8N-SLI if you are not overclocking (compared with the stock HSF the temp increases by ~14C). Some ariflow over it is required however. There is also the Thermalright NB-1 with 45 mm fan - which would have to be slowed down a bit.
I am in the process of designing and manufacturing a prototype of a nForce4-SLI heatsink that would allow the use of two AC Silencers.
Right now, the specs are ~4 times heavier than NB47J and surface area ~8 times greater. Does anyone know if there's a weight limit on the chipset heatsinks? I saw the new Thermalright NB-1C (for Copper) is 270g - which I think it's a lot.
Forget all about the much hyped Swiftech MCX159A... The HeatSLink™ XLE is here!! ;)

XLE = eXtremly Limited Edition

Yes I made the "SLi ready", noisless(0db) and "+350HTT certified" HeatSLink™
The only downside is the limited production and the unit currently only fits DFI boards..only two units exists and they`r both built and owned by me.. :sweat:

The weight of the unit is aprox 90grams, and the cooling area is 580cm2

It`s many times more powerful than the regular Zalman NB47J, and you can
use ANY vga-card in SLI-mode without it getting in the way of chipsetcooler..
You can also overclock the chipset very hard (+350MHz@1,7V) w/o the need of a fan blowing on it.
The cooler should manage to keep the chipset under 50deg.C in a normaly cooled case at this speed and voltage.

More pics here:
http://forum.hardware.no/index.php?show ... 691&st=144[/img]
Last edited by ArcticOC on Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArcticOC

Post by ArcticOC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:21 am

..there is also a improved version w/higher density on the fins, the HeatSLink™ v.2.0 will be finished in the coming weeks.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:56 am

Artic,

Welcome to SPCR....

Very impressive, but could you clarify for me whether you're a hobbiest showing off his handiwork, or a vendor pimping a product? (or something somewhere in between perhaps? :lol: )

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:18 am

ArcticOC wrote:
Forget all about the much hyped Swiftech MCX159A... The HeatSLink™ XLE is here!! ;)

XLE = eXtremly Limited Edition

Yes I made the "SLi ready", noisless(0db) and "+350HTT certified" HeatSLink™
The only downside is the limited production and the unit currently only fits DFI boards..only two units exists and they`r both built and owned by me.. :sweat:

The weight of the unit is aprox 90grams, and the cooling area is 580cm2

It`s many times more powerful than the regular Zalman NB47J, and you can
use ANY vga-card in SLI-mode without it getting in the way of chipsetcooler..
You can also overclock the chipset very hard (+350MHz@1,7V) w/o the need of a fan blowing on it.
The cooler should manage to keep the chipset under 50deg.C in a normaly cooled case at this speed and voltage.
The construction of that thing reminds me a lot of an Alpha heatsink. Your two "XLE's" aren't just one Alpha sawed in half, perchance? :)

ArcticOC

Post by ArcticOC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:38 am

Rusty075 wrote:Artic,

Welcome to SPCR....

Very impressive, but could you clarify for me whether you're a hobbiest showing off his handiwork, or a vendor pimping a product? (or something somewhere in between perhaps? :lol: )
Hehe.. I`m just a hobbiest and not some sleasy vendor pimpin his product :) The "™" is just me joking around, my kind of fun..

Both coolers is based on old alpha heasinks, the HeatSLink v.2.0 is based on the Alpha PEP66 Pentium3 sink..

They give great cooling, no doubt

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:01 am

Well, I thought about this kind of approach too, but didn't have the heart to slice in two the Winchester's stock heatsink (I use the XP-90 but bought the stock 3200). The solution doesn't look bad, although I don't think it's much better than a NB47J in terms of cooling power. But since it's usable on the DFI mobo, I must give it an A+.
By the way, to overclock the chipset to 350 you must be either rich or insane ;-) I see no need to rise the 'FSB' more than your memory can go with 1T (like 266 x 9 = 2.4 GHz).

ArcticOC

Post by ArcticOC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Tzupy wrote:The solution doesn't look bad, although I don't think it's much better than a NB47J in terms of cooling power. But since it's usable on the DFI mobo, I must give it an A+.
By the way, to overclock the chipset to 350 you must be either rich or insane ;-) I see no need to rise the 'FSB' more than your memory can go with 1T (like 266 x 9 = 2.4 GHz).

Cooling surface specs:

HeatSLInk v2.0 = 535cm2

Zalman NB47J = 245cm2

DFI stock (fan) = 62cm2

The heatSLink has over 2xtimes the cooling surface of the Zalman, I belive this makes a difference :wink: The Heatslink also have thick copper base, the other coolers are all aluminum only

Regards "insane" HTT speed, I run my OCZ VX async. Dont have TCCD that ppl run 1:1
Last edited by ArcticOC on Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilh

Post by ilh » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:45 pm

It looks like you could have left more fins standing, no?

(If you're reducing the multiplier on the CPU and using a divider on the memory, what exactly are you overclocking with the 350 HTT? Is your HTT multiplier at 3? I guess I never understood the point of high HTT ("FSB") if you turn down the CPU and memory.)

ArcticOC

Post by ArcticOC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:12 pm

ilh wrote:It looks like you could have left more fins standing, no?

(If you're reducing the multiplier on the CPU and using a divider on the memory, what exactly are you overclocking with the 350 HTT? Is your HTT multiplier at 3? I guess I never understood the point of high HTT ("FSB") if you turn down the CPU and memory.)
If i left more fins standing I`ll have to modd the cooler once more if I was to buy a long VGA-card with a really big cooler

High FSB is always desireable, I have to run my mem async anyway!

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:50 pm

I frikin LOVE that HS> :)

Kick arse job. Makes me want to make one of my own, but i have NO metalwork experience from which to draw. I do know some people though, so that might turn out to be a hobby. I need one that'll fit my Abit AN8 Fatal1ty.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:11 pm

consider selling those guys?????

and make them a bit more universal for fitting, like adjustable Zalman type of construction?

if you make it decently universal in fitting i would buy 1-2 of them for a decent price. anything to pull out heat from a northbridge passively/ effectively is worth a decent amount.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:38 pm

The heatpiped Coolermaster-minus the little fan should have a techy edge on a Zalman-but some mobos lack clearance. If this prototype could get into production as is-or maybe redone so heatpipes move the heat from base to fin area quicker,it would have a niche.....

Most setups have some space between the mobo and the optical drives where a homebuilt bracket can be improved to mount a low rpm fan blowng across the chipset-even the minimal tactic of removing the little 40mm banshee fan from the stck sink can work if theres a bigger-slower-quieter fan nearby to replace the airflow. Cheap. Low tech. Does nobody have a plain old hardware store nearby? Making a simple fan bracket is so easy I could teach a Golden Retriever how to do it. Of couse the dog would then want to bury it in the backyard,but........