Silence geared motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mathias

Silence geared motherboards

Post by mathias » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:39 am

I think it's about time someone made one/some. Besides passive north/south bridge cooling and undervolting capability, more efficient voltage regulators would be quite helpful. I hear that DC-DC regulators can be as efficient as 95%, but also that CPU voltage regulators are more like 75% efficient (in AMD's system design guide pdf's, haven't seen any figures elsewhere). Better rpm monitoring and onboard fan control, possibly equivalent to an aftermarket fan controller (hey, everything else has been tossed on board, from video cards to tube amps) and fourth and fifth fan headers(and included rpm pass through cables like those that come with the zalman fan controller) would be good to. And maybe MB makers would be less reluctant to facilitate video card undervolting than vid. overvolting.

What else could be done to make a silence friendly MB?

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:22 pm

I would really just like to see an increase in efficiency for teh smaller parts. I know the mofsetts aren't a huge source of heat but every bit helps.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:33 pm

The processor socket should be more towards the center of the board so that something like the XP-120 can be mounted on the motherboard in practically every case and fit no problem. Also it would be neat if the ram could be undervolted and overvolted like in a 2.0-3.0V range (for DDR) instead of just overvolted. It would be cool if bios controlled aam could be configured. Also it would be nice if the motherboard had the system speaker built in and you could adjust the volume of it. A normal post beep can be really loud in a quieted computer. Also seperate temperature monitors that could be placed anywhere in the case (like at the PSU exhaust) that could be monitored would be awsome. These are my suggestions.

knutinh

Post by knutinh » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:19 am

If we make an energy budget, by how much would internal mobo losses contribute?

If air flow out of the case is good, and can be accomplished without excessive noise/cost, then benefits of lower mobo losses should be primarily lower power consumtion. That would be the case I guess for typical PSUs with high-power fans, sucking considerable air no matter system load. Then, noise sources such as cpu and drives could be major contributors to noise

Noisepower ~ PSU-fannoise + CPU-fannoise + GPU-fannoise + drivenoise (power addition)

*drivenoise is considered a system parameter, and only dependent on disk activity
*GPU and CPU fannoise are dependent of fan-speeds. In many systems, these fans are constant, while others may allow manual or automatic control. As a lower (optimal) limit, we may assume that speed is a function increasing with load (use) and case temperature
*PSU fannoise may, again, be constant or controlled by an internal termistor. In many/most psus this means that noise at low power output is far from that expected from power/efficiency.

Np = HD_noise(HD_activity) + CPU_noise(CPU_activity,case_temperature) + GPU_noise(GPU_activity,case_temperature) PSU_noise(system load, case_temperature)

If total noise is dominated by HD/CPU/GPU, then a 10-20W internal heat source should not matter that much because it would only cause a minor rise in case temperature.

knut

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:52 am

Is there a reason why you started this thread to discuss the exact same topic you were already discussing here?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:22 am

Rusty075 wrote:Is there a reason why you started this thread to discuss the exact same topic you were already discussing here?
To show of my amazing time travelling abilities :lol: