undervolting iption for asus a7n8x-x

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jc-fury

undervolting iption for asus a7n8x-x

Post by jc-fury » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi all!! I've actually just found this site a couple days ago and i've learn a lot already but I was wondering if there is any software that will enable me to undervolt a 2600+ barton on an a7n8x-x. :lol:

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:24 am

hiya! welcome to the forums!!!

basically if i recall correctly, with that mobo you can downvolt your cpu there...

jc-fury

Post by jc-fury » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:52 am

no actually its the opposite, the mobo lets you overclock but not undervolt. I downloaded the 8rdavcore and tried to use it, but was unsucessful. Is it just me or does the program doesn't work for the mobo.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:02 pm

You're dead right, as far as this board goes you're stuck @ a 1.65v min for VCore. I used to be really p***ed of about this, as I expect you are too! :( I did'nt really fancy a pin mod which seemed the only solution.

I first tried 8rdavcore about a year ago & the VCore reduction part was inoperative. I went back to it about Xmas time & now have got very stable results @ 1.52/1.54v which is the lowest I can get it down to, a small but notable result.

AFAIK our boards a pretty much the same barring SATA & Firewire + Audio? So I think some perseverence could be worth it.

Make sure you have got the "GiveIO.SYS driver" installed & check it's enabled, I got nowhere without this.
When 8rdacore runs check under settings, where there's a mobo choice for A7N8X-X.
Beneath this there's a selection for driver & try "SMI driver" (the other one ATXP I doesn't work for me at all), After that go back to main page & apply. BTW, I've found the FSB changer a bit unreliable, I think Speedfan underclocks this better.

It could take a bit of fiddling, but hopefully you'll get there & the best of luck! :)

PS. If you do fancy a pin mod there has been some success, as a search of the forum will reveal!

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:55 pm

I had to cut L11 bridges and do a pin mod to get 1.475v on my mobile barton. It was too much work and risky.

Next timeI'll just buy an undervoltable mobo :evil:

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:51 am

Hi jc-fury, you asked in a PM about installing/enabling the GiveIO.SYS driver. Unfortunately, on 8rdacore's home page it's a bit vague about this. Anyway, here is the info you need that should get you going:

For Windows NT &2000

1. Copy the included GIVEIO.SYS file to your C:\WINNT\system32\drivers directory.

2. Open the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Hardware Wizard.

3. Follow the directions for adding a new device.

4. Select “Select hardware from list” and then choose NEXT.

5. Select “Ports” from the hardware list and then choose NEXT.

6. Select “Have Disk” and browse to the giveio.inf file.

7. Confirm and finish the installation by choosing NEXT and then FINISH.

For Windows XP

1. Copy the included GIVEIO.SYS file to your C:\WINNT\system32\drivers directory.

2. Choose “Add Hardware” from the Control Panel

3. Choose NEXT when the Add Hardware Wizard appears.

4. Check “Yes, I have already added the hardware” button; then choose NEXT.

5. Scroll down and select “Add a new hardware device”, then choose NEXT.

6. Select “Install hardware manually from list”, then choose NEXT.

7. Select “Ports” from the hardware list and then choose NEXT.

8. Select “Have Disk” and browse to the giveio.inf file.

9. Choose OK, then NEXT, then NEXT, then CONTINUE ANYWAY when the digital signing warning message appears.

10. Confirm and finish the installation by choosing NEXT and then FINISH

Next time you run 8rdacore it should work, although you may have to do a restart. After this you should be able to configure it on the settings page, but don't go too mad to start off with.

Good luck & let us know how you get on! :)

jc-fury

Post by jc-fury » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:27 pm

the instructions are perfect. ThxQ!! but one question, i was unable to locate the giveio.inf file. i tried looking in the windows inf folder but none was there. Is it located somewhere else in the computer or do I have to create it somehow. Im currently running winxp pro if it makes any difference.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:44 am

Seems like I have given you some bum information here, as having seen what you said about the giveio.inf file I checked my own system for an giveio.inf & couldn't find one either? :? I was pretty sure that the above instructions had been very helpful when I was desperately trying to get 8rdavcore going a while back myself, but obviously not, so I must apologise for leading you up the garden path.

If you have 8rdavcore open, then you will already have the giveio driver installed & working, as it won't initialise without it. Another program Speedfan, for example, (which is also dependant on giveio) will open, but will give you a ton of error mssgs & be virtually useless as it will be unable to get it's readings.

The driver (giveio.sys) is packed in the 8rdavcore downloadable Zip file, or can be obtained from the 8rdavcore home page seperately with an installer
& there is also an unistaller too, although Device Manager could do this. There is little info about these, however, this (totally unconnected) page should give you a good idea of what to do, see half way down:
http://www.sagebrush.com/vcrtech.htm

Giveio (as you will have guessed) is an input/output port driver. You can quickly check your own system for the status of this via Device Manager. Click View to show hidden items, on the right Non Plug & Play Drivers will become visible & you will find it under these. Right click its properties to make sure it is set to run automatically.

Please note I have been talking from a W2K point of view. XP should be fairly similar. Apparently, if you're running W95/98/ME, you won't need it.

If you've done all this & still been unable to get the vcore part of 8rdavcore not to work, then it may well be that it's not going to happen
on your particular board. I don't know what version you have, but mine is a revision 2. I believe some of the earlier boards were slightly less accomodating for stuff like this.

Best of Luck :)