Asus K8V sensors, heat, and bios crash question

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

Asus K8V sensors, heat, and bios crash question

Post by PretzelB » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:06 pm

I was playing some games at a friends house when my pc locked up. I didn't think it was a big deal until I tried to reboot and my boot device was not found. After the panic subsided I went into bios and discoverd the boot sequence was incorrect. Whatever crashed my system reset my bios to default. I changed the bios setting and everything worked fine the rest of the day.

Now, it was hot in the room, and I was running folding@home while playing so I thought it was a heat issue. I took the side panel off my case and cranked my fans to 12v. But, when I got back home I booted up SpeedFan and noticed one of my sensors is at 64c. I don't look at SpeedFan much but I don't remember ever seeing a sensor that high.

I'm pretty sure my cpu sensor is identified and ok. It's winbond w83697hf and it rises and falls as I turn folding@home on. I think I know the case sensor, which is also winbond w83697hf since it hovers around 28c and my hard drives are 2-4 degrees near that temp. What I don't know is that this "ad7416" sensor is and why it seems to stay at 64c.

So, here are some questions:

1) Any ideas on what this sensor is and should I worry?
2) Any ideas on what could cause a crash that resets the bios?

Right now my cpu and nb heat sinks are cool to the touch. The heat sink on my 9600 is also cool. Right after the crash my 9600 heat sink was hot but I'm not sure if that is normal since I don't go around touching it all the time.

Even though the room was warm, I was running Folding@Home and playing Half-Life2, and my fans were at 7v, I didn't think a crash was warranted.