cool 'n' quiet for micro atx htpc

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

barefootzero

cool 'n' quiet for micro atx htpc

Post by barefootzero » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:24 am

I am building a htpc using the silverstone LC-11 case (micro atx) and I want to use an athalon64 2800 (socket 754) with cool 'n' quiet.

I have been looking around a fair bit and I think I want to get a MSI K8MM-ILSR. This board was picked for its low price and it was one of the few micro atx boards that had all the features I wanted that I could find info on. Will this support cool 'n' quiet with 2 ram sticks and does it use temperature control for the cpu fan?

This system is meant to be hooked up as an always on htpc operated through the tv and prefereably will never have to exit SageTV so whatever power saving solution is used it needs to be automatic.

If anyone has any other micro atx boards to suggest feel free.
The requirements are..

digital audio out (spdif prefered)
integrated vga port
fully functional cool 'n' quiet with to sticks of ram.
not to expensive
socket 754 (unless you can suggest a cheap socket 939 solution)
3 PCI ports ( I know the adapter in the LC11 case only allows 2 pci slots but I am afraid a board with only 2 pci slots will not allow the adapter to line up right with the openings in the back of the case.
1 AGP port

it would also be nice if the board had integrated s-video but most of the time video will be outputed using the hauppauge pvr-350 expcept for doing maintenance.

I looked through the spcr recomended cool 'n' quite boards but there were no comments about micro atx boards that had all the stuff I need.