motherboard automatically overvolting my cpu?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mb2

motherboard automatically overvolting my cpu?

Post by mb2 » Wed May 04, 2005 8:22 pm

i have an MSI KM2M which reads in the bios, aswell as in software eg cpu-z, that my 1700+ is running around 1.85v? (it should be 1.6v w/ my tbred-b)

the board has no voltage adjustments in the bios, but i have tried changing the voltage using wire tricks but it doesn't seem to change regardless..

i notice that 1.85v is the max which can be supplied by wire mods; where all the 'holes' in the socket are connected.. so could it be that my cpu is connecting them and so selecting lower voltages is only 're-connecting' them?
if so perhaps i would need to insulate the relevant pins? what would i use to do this? i seem to have a feeling maybe it was nail varnish remover or something?

ChooChoo

Post by ChooChoo » Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 am

I've also encountered the same overvolting problem as you on my AMD 2400+ TBird and Gigabyte 7vrx where it ws supplying 1.71v instead of the stock 1.65v.

I managed to fix this problem by incrementing the FSB 1MHZ (you can put it higher if you wish) from 133 -> 134 and up.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 pm

unfortunately changing the FSB doesn't seem to make any difference :cry: its now saying around 2.1v.. which if correct has moved from the 'bit of a pain' area into something which could cause damage to my cpu :x
does no one atleast know what i could use to insulate the pins?
and if this has any chance of working
is there anything else which could be responsible for this.. like overheating voltage regulators or anything? (although this thing has a massive heatsink on that so it shouldn't be a problem..?)
and are voltage readings ever wrong? i know temp readings often are but voltages?
FYI changing PSU made no difference.
i will have another look into software for changing voltages etc but last time i looked into this nothing worked for me i think.

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri May 13, 2005 4:20 pm

I have heard of voltage readings being displayed incorrectly. This can be caused by the monitoring software misinterpreting the data fed to it. This can even happen in the BIOS, if there is a bug in the BIOS. Updated software and updated BIOS can fix this.

I have also heard of motherboards feeding improper voltage to the CPU. An updated BIOS can help with this, too.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sat May 14, 2005 3:03 pm

hm, unfortunately i'm running the latest (and surely the last) bios version.. the voltages are the same for bios and software.. and i think they were like that before flashing the bios too..

god knows why this is happeneing? and even more baffling is why it has chosen to climb to the 2.1v range now instead of ~1.85v that it had always been at before :?:

is there any software that would allow me to change the voltage? (its KM266)