It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mobile Pentium 4 in desktop mobo?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:19 am 

Hi there,
I recently bought a Pundit-R, and (unwisely) thought that a Celeron D would be a low power CPU, and cooling would not be too much of an issue..... any way, a few fan replacements later, and I want to replace the Celeron with a Northwood Pentium. From what I've read, even a 3.2G Northwood will be cooler then my 2.4G Prescott Celeron D. There are a few Northwoods on eBay in Australia, and some of them are Mobile Pentium 4s.

Does anyone know if it's possible to stick a Mobile Pentium 4 into a normal desktop mobo? It should be more suited to a smaller enclosure and they are rated at lower power ratings as well. Should I go ahead and buy it? Will my mobo just not run it? Will the sky fall in as my pundit-r becomes 20 degrees cooler and 10 times faster?

Any thoughts, experience, knowledge or general banter would be appreciated. Thanks,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:09 am 
SPCR Reviewer

This subject has been discussed at length here at SPCR. Please use the "search" function to find all the posts.

There's even a web page devoted to this topic:

http://will.dashwood.me.uk/pentium4m.htm