It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hot Northbridge cooler
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:59 am 

Recently I attached a temperature probe to my Asus P5P800 NB passive cooler and I am amazed with the results. I got over 55oC, and the probe is glued on top of the cooler!

Using the same probe in the middle of my cpu cooler, it reads 52oC max. with a corresponding 64oC in Asus Probe for the cpu itself.
In my graphics card I inserted it at the base of my Zalman VF700 and max. temperature was 51oC with Riva Tuner reporting 74oC for the core.
That means the chip temperature must be above 70oC!!!

I think the NB cooler is not getting enough air because the cpu cooler ( Coolermaster Hyper 48 ) does not send any air down, only left and right and I cannot rotate it because of some capacitors or something like that.

Could the chip be damaged by the heat? This computer is very stable, even when gaming or folding but summer is coming and my room temperature can reach 30oC when I am not at home.

Maybe I can replace the cooler with a better one, but it needs to be passive and compatible.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:52 am 
SPCR Reviewer

Intel rates their NB's to 99°C, so you should be OK.

FWIW, if it comes to it, Thermalright and Swiftech have some pretty nifty NB coolers available. The TR NB-1C is probably the best, but it was recently discontinued and is getting difficult to find. Performance-pcs.com had them in stock a few weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:45 am 

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Intel rates their NB's to 99°C, so you should be OK.

FWIW, if it comes to it, Thermalright and Swiftech have some pretty nifty NB coolers available. The TR NB-1C is probably the best, but it was recently discontinued and is getting difficult to find. Performance-pcs.com had them in stock a few weeks ago.

99oC!!!!!!!!!! I think I am safe :)

Thank you Ralf.