Difference between 754 chips?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Difference between 754 chips?

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:21 am

Hi, I am looking to replace my 754 chip from a 3000 (2.0ghz 512k) to a 3700 (2.4ghz 1meg) in a month or so.

Now, I know that I could be going 939, but whatever, thats not an issue, I just want to max out this system, it has a lot of pci cards and uses tweaked for my fun and for my work that I do not have time to re-do. So, I am just going to max out my system until ddr2 or ddr3 with the new x2 socket comes out.

Anyways, AMD says that my 2.0 chip is the same heat rating as the 2.4. that seems a bit odd, sometimes I see it a tiny bit more, which still seems odd.

How much of a heat difference will there be? I know from a friend that the processing power of the 3700 is truly noticable, in fact, its kinda sick for a lil single channel old tech machine, so I am seeing if its going to be bad or good for a spcr system?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:28 am

AMD's A64 TDP ratings take the opposite approach from Intel's for the P4: They cite the highest power that can possibly be produced by any processor of the particular model that comes off the production line. In other words, the highest power variant. So they almost always read high, higher than in actual stress testing on a real machine. For more details, see Athlon 64 for Quiet Power.

There's some difference between a 2.0/512 and a 2.4/1G, I am sure, but if you have even a bit of headroom in your cooling system right now, you're probably not going to notice much difference. So what if temps go up a couple degrees, right?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:05 pm

wow ok, I read that.

yes, probably nothing in comparison temperature wise.

I have a reserator and am using distilled water and Water wetter from Redline, not much of it, but it sure makes the water flow as if its all connected as one blob of free flowing whatever. no algae buildup btw after 3 months near ocean humidity and gunk.

So, I think it will be a worthwhile investment to pimp out my rig with the max processor. Too bad my system didnt like 2 sticks, i would add another gig chip for a 2 gig setup. Cool n quiet is buggy for me on my Abit KV8 Pro