NEW Intel Viiv - Media Center Processor

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

emkayIII

NEW Intel Viiv - Media Center Processor

Post by emkayIII » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,13 ... _tophead_6

"Intel said PC owners will be able to click their Viiv computers on and off, after the initial boot, with the press of a button. The machines also ship with 5.1 surround sound and will have a media server "engine" that reformats digital content for viewing on a variety of devices."

Maybe I should wait with my little centrino-based HTPC project...?

What are everyones thoughts on this, does anyone have any details on specs?

Cheers,

Mat

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:04 pm

but is it silent?

i'm sure those 5W beasts can be silenced, but i have doubts about computer manufacturers using passive heatsinks.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:40 pm

They will probably attach a small heatsink and a 40mm fan, thus making as loud as a normal computer. It seems like that is what all makers of low-powered cpu/mb's are doing today and not taking advantage of the low heat disspation.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:15 pm

Intel made a concept PC using the ViiV architecture called the Golden Gate PC. This prototype is supposedly quiet (maybe fanless but I'm not so sure), uses a dualcore Yonah, and has an external brick instead of the typical internal PSU. But this is still a prototype. Even if this one is silent, we'll have to wait to see if the other manufacturers will keep the same design proposed by Intel.

From Bit-Tech News:
Intel has shown off a new concept PC designed to exemplify what might be possible with the new VIIV platform.

Codenamed 'Golden Gate' (after San Francisco, we presume) and decked out in a tasteful shade of yellow, it's a quiet, small form factor PC designed to sit in the living room.

Inside is a Pentium M chip, rather than a Pentium 4. This enables it to be so small, with a noticeable lack of fans. The Pentium M is a next-gen chip, codenamed Yonah.

On the backplate of the Intel motherboard its easy to see DVI out, TV out, audio and USB and LAN connectors.

This is just one in what we assume is a line of concepts for VIIV PCs. The most interesting thing about this concept - it's the first official endorsement by Intel of Pentium M on the desktop, suggesting a sidestep away from Pentium 4.
There's another article about the ViiV architecture and the Golden Gate prototype at Trusted Reviews.