Some useful info for DFI LanParty owners.

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nici

Some useful info for DFI LanParty owners.

Post by nici » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:57 am

Ok, in short i bought a P180 and went back to aircooling. In my attempts to keep the chipset cool i discovered that that the "Chipset" temperature that shows up in Smart Guardian is actually the Chipset temperature, not somewhere near the the chipset but the actual chipset. And the other thing is that i know where the PWM IC temperature is measured, look at the picture below. How did i find this out? Well you know those spray-cans wich you can cool something down to -55c in seconds, i used that. The Chipset temp was showing 57c, i sprayed the stuff onto the NB47J heatsink and the temperature dropped to 42c in seconds, this couldnt happen if the temperature wasnt measured from the chipset itself right? :) And the PWM IC, i sprayed on that for a while and it showed a temp drop from 55c to 8c, wich is a 47c drop in temp :shock: I got some ice on the heatsink too... :lol:

So anyway, i though someone might find this info useful for something :D

Heres thje picture. Oh, i also added those small memory heatsink that came with the ZM80D-HP on the things next those bigger heatsinks, as they seemed pretty hot too. I already had memory heatsinks on the graphics card from before :)

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:58 pm

The little orange dot to the left of the sink you have circled is the thermosister for the PWMIC temp. BTW, rapidly cooling anything in a computer is a bad idea. You can get condensation which could short something out, etc.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:41 am

nici always always always makes me laugh :D

that IS some interesting information Nici. So basically, one should add a sensor to the northbridge. Intriguing...

-------

Hey, what parts of the board did you add those zalman "hats" to?

thats a great idea. i have to see what gets hot. that could drastically decrease temperatures. neat idea. (looks cool too)

Hey, did you find a car yet?

nici

Post by nici » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:04 am

Vulcan wrote:The little orange dot to the left of the sink you have circled is the thermosister for the PWMIC temp. BTW, rapidly cooling anything in a computer is a bad idea. You can get condensation which could short something out, etc.
Yeah well, im nuts :lol: Kind of like a kid who tares everything apart just to see how it works and cant put it back together.. :roll:

I only added the heatsinks where you can see them in the picture, not much room anywhere else. They were not burning hot, but ifigured i might jsut as well install those as they look neat and certainly wont hurt anything :)