MOSFET Cooling Necessary?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Feyrhel

MOSFET Cooling Necessary?

Post by Feyrhel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:43 pm

I was tinkering around with my A8N32 and noticed that the silver heatsink that covers the MOSFETS has absolutely no thermal compound to aid in heat transfer. Why would they skimp on applying thermal compound to units attached to a heatsink?

Is this OK for the MOSFETS or should I go apply some AS5 whenever I get the chance?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:55 pm

How can you tell? Did you actually remove the heatsink? Often they use thermal tape I believe it's called to attach the heatsinks. It's clear and sticky and extremely thin, so it's possible you just don't see it. Artic Silver will improve the thermal conductivity a little bit, but the main limiting factor on cooling the mos is the size of the heatsink. I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience instability. It's not worth voiding your warreny just for 2 degree drop in temperature of the mosphets which won't give you a better overclock anyway.

Feyrhel

Post by Feyrhel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Yea on another forum I saw some pictures a guy posted of his A8N32 having no transfer material between the heatsink and MOSFETS. I was curious and popped the heatsink off myself and, sure enough, nothing there.

So I suppose it's OK the way it is as long as I don't perform any heavy overclocking?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm

Even without thermal paste the FETs should make decent contact w/the heatsink. I agree it seems kind of silly to skimp on something so minor with such a high-end board, but at the same time, I'd think if it was necessary ASUS engineers would've included some kind of thermal pad or paste in the design.

You're talking about maybe 5-10*C difference in temps, and considering MOSFETs can handle upwards of 125*C, I wouldn't sweat it.