abit NF-M2 nView

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:26 pm

My MSI K9NU can go down to 0.9V with CrystalCPUID.It also does all the whole multipliers (4x - 11x).
Does it also have voltage and multiplier options in BIOS?

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:56 am

I'm really liking the new Abit (post merger), that looks like a very good board. I see nothing but Rubycon caps everywhere; that should ensure excellent stability and last-foreverablity. :wink:
simbloke wrote:
Why? You have at least 2 (3 pin) fan headers within reach, why don't you use them?
That's what I'm doing now. The BIOS is nice, it can can control the system fan speed based on the CPU temp, I didn't see that at first.
simbloke if wouldn't mind could you post a reply in my "Recommended Motherboards: From a Silence Perspective 1.1" thread for this board?, it's a sticky at the top in the CPU and Motherboards forum here.

BIOS fan controls and SpeedFan control are particularly important as are undervoling options, the more specific you can be the more useful it will be.

Thanks.

simbloke

Post by simbloke » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:13 am

simbloke if wouldn't mind could you post a reply in my "Recommended Motherboards: From a Silence Perspective 1.1" thread for this board?, it's a sticky at the top in the CPU and Motherboards forum here.

BIOS fan controls and SpeedFan control are particularly important as are undervoling options, the more specific you can be the more useful it will be.

Thanks.
Ok, I'll look at the BIOS again tonight and take down some details. Should be able to reply some time tomorrow.

Scrooge

A few questions...

Post by Scrooge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:03 am

You say you used the Corsair Twin2X1024-6400C5 and it booted fine on the initial BIOS. I can't find that at Newegg, only the C4 and the regular 6400. Will (should) the 1.9v Twin2X1024-6400 or will I have to find a place that sells the 6400C5? The regular 6400 at Newegg seems to have the 5-5-5-15 timing that the 8500C5 is listed at on Corsair's website, which doesn't list the 6400C5 at all. Is the board recognizing it as 800MHz or is it dropping it to 667Mhz like some people are reporting with other boards? Further, do you know if the Twin2X is single-sided or double-sided? If it's double-sided I'll spring for 2GB right now since throwing it away later to upgrade later would just be wasteful, but being able to populate the other two slots later would be nice.

Do you know if there is room for an HR-01?

Can you let us know if CrystalCPUID allows significant undervolting?

I appreciate any answers you can give!

simbloke

Re: A few questions...

Post by simbloke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 am

Scrooge wrote:You say you used the Corsair Twin2X1024-6400C5 and it booted fine on the initial BIOS. I can't find that at Newegg, only the C4 and the regular 6400. Will (should) the 1.9v Twin2X1024-6400 or will I have to find a place that sells the 6400C5? The regular 6400 at Newegg seems to have the 5-5-5-15 timing that the 8500C5 is listed at on Corsair's website, which doesn't list the 6400C5 at all. Is the board recognizing it as 800MHz or is it dropping it to 667Mhz like some people are reporting with other boards? Further, do you know if the Twin2X is single-sided or double-sided? If it's double-sided I'll spring for 2GB right now since throwing it away later to upgrade later would just be wasteful, but being able to populate the other two slots later would be nice.
Sorry for the confusion. At http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... emory.html they refer to it as 6400C5 but I believe that is just the regular 6400. It IS running at 800Mhz.
Do you know if there is room for an HR-01?
There is, I've done it. Using the S-clip there's about 7mm clearance above and more than 1cm to the right. That's with a floppy drive installed.
Can you let us know if CrystalCPUID allows significant undervolting?
Would that be a Windows program? Sorry don't have that at home. :wink:

Greg F.

compare

Post by Greg F. » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:33 am

speaking only about the abiliity to capture and display High Definition TV, how does this Abit 6150 based board compare to the Intel BOXDG965WHMKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 based board? The Intel board is at Newegg for $125 retail. The Abit is $98. Will either handle 1080p? Is the nVidia Purevideo the difference maker here? I can't see that intel Viiv is anything but a catchy name for ....what? It would be nice if either had two DVI outputs, but I guess you have to go seperate graphic card for that feature. which given the right card and Mobo might not be a bad idea.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:46 am

Would that be a Windows program? Sorry don't have that at home. Wink
I wish I could... the girlfriend wants iTunes :(

I have another question (I know, I'm full of them). I downloaded the manual and for the front audio connector it says
This header provides the front panel connection for HD (High Definition) Audio, yet for AC’97 Audio CODEC connection, you must carefully check the pin assignment before connecting from the front panel module. An incorrect connection may cause malfunction or even damage the motherboard.
※ Please do not connect the “Groundâ€

Thaiger

I just ordered one myself!

Post by Thaiger » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Hey all, for the past few months I've wanted to put together a SFF system. There is a MB by Gigabyte I was gonna get GA-M51GM-S2G
But I heard the OC'ing capabilities of the Abit uATX board are way better. I can't wait till I get it in. The features on the Gigabyte board seems pretty sweet as well. I just hope I'm not gonna regret it. I'm also not sure about memory compatability with the Abit MB. I went ahead and took a stab at getting
Patriot ( PDC22G6400LLK )mem DDR6400 cas 4-4-4-12. I hope it works. I too am planning on installling Ubuntu on a removable HD.

Hope everyone is having fun with there new rig.

Peace Out!

Thaiger [/url]

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:21 pm

skipper wrote:This motherboard really sounds nice. I hope it will soon be available in Denmark.

Does anybody know if it will fit a Zalman CNPS8000?

/Skipper
Please don't buy a Zalman 8000. They cool worse than a Zalman 7000 and are louder to boot!. Better off stock.

starry

Post by starry » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:06 am

Scrooge wrote:
Would that be a Windows program? Sorry don't have that at home. Wink
I wish I could... the girlfriend wants iTunes :(

I have another question (I know, I'm full of them). I downloaded the manual and for the front audio connector it says
This header provides the front panel connection for HD (High Definition) Audio, yet for AC’97 Audio CODEC connection, you must carefully check the pin assignment before connecting from the front panel module. An incorrect connection may cause malfunction or even damage the motherboard.
※ Please do not connect the “Groundâ€

starry

Post by starry » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:37 am

I found this link which explains the the H/D pinout which is supposed to be intel standard, it states that AC97 and H/D pinpouts are compatable, but I am not sure, but it's wort a look.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 015851.htm

valnar

Post by valnar » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:42 pm

OK, n00b question here. Why is everyone surprised that Corsair 6400C4 or C5 memory works in this thing? Is there a particular brand/model of RAM that's ideal for this motherboard? Overclocking or otherwise?

Robert

corevalue

Post by corevalue » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:22 am

Mobo NF-M2 nView

Please, somebody run Crystal or RMclock on this mobo and find out the minimum Vcore settable. It supports CnQ, it says so on the cover page of the manual, so it must have hardware to go down below 1.35V - thats the MAXIMUM P-state voltage for loads of Athlons. The minimum P-state is usually around 1.1V But how low can this mobo go?

VulturEMaN

Post by VulturEMaN » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:56 am

valnar wrote:OK, n00b question here. Why is everyone surprised that Corsair 6400C4 or C5 memory works in this thing? Is there a particular brand/model of RAM that's ideal for this motherboard? Overclocking or otherwise?

Robert
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220095

From what I've seen, the Patriot 2gb sticks are GODLY for OCing. Their spec may be for ddr2-667, but I've seen people raise it to ddr2-800 without increasing voltages (1.8) and leaving the timings on 4-4-4-12. There was even a guy out there that said he got these sticks up to 1200mhz on this board, but I've heard alot of people can get 1033 easy.

dhs910

BIOS CPU undervolting?

Post by dhs910 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:48 am

For those of us who don't use Windows (no CrystalCPUid, etc), how low can you set the CPU voltage in the BIOS? The owner's manual doesn't say and the Abit technical support people don't respond. I've seen the voltage range given as 1.35-2.0V - is that from the BIOS cpu voltage setting panel?
I think this question was asked above, but I only saw answers for Windows software programs.
Thanks ...

Chocolinx

Re: BIOS CPU undervolting?

Post by Chocolinx » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 pm

dhs910 wrote:For those of us who don't use Windows (no CrystalCPUid, etc), how low can you set the CPU voltage in the BIOS? The owner's manual doesn't say and the Abit technical support people don't respond. I've seen the voltage range given as 1.35-2.0V - is that from the BIOS cpu voltage setting panel?
I think this question was asked above, but I only saw answers for Windows software programs.
Thanks ...
1.35V is usually what the starting voltage is for these mATX boards.

dhs910

Post by dhs910 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:07 pm

That's what one poster claimed above, but the board would have to support lower voltages - otherwise you couldn't install the EE and EE/SFF CPUs which use a lower CPUvoltage (hence the lower power rating).
So on the NF-M2, can you specify these lower voltages in the BIOS? If anybody with the board can confirm the BIOS vcore range, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks ...

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:43 am

dhs910 wrote:That's what one poster claimed above, but the board would have to support lower voltages - otherwise you couldn't install the EE and EE/SFF CPUs which use a lower CPUvoltage (hence the lower power rating).
So on the NF-M2, can you specify these lower voltages in the BIOS? If anybody with the board can confirm the BIOS vcore range, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks ...

I know how you feel (I'm gonna use Linux) but the Vcore range is already stated on page one. I guess that you have to use the "auto" setting on a EE cpu. Anyone want to comment?

dhs910

Post by dhs910 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:01 am

Yes, I know - simbloke posted them on page 1, and since he owns the motherboard, it's probably reasonable to assume that he got those numbers from the BIOS settings, but I just wanted to be sure.
I'd like to get a 35W X2 3800+, but they're not generally available and would probably be exorbitantly priced, so I was hoping to undervolt/clock a 65W X2 4200+ to roll my own. And since I run Linux too, the only way for me to undervolt is in the BIOS.
Thanks ...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:05 am

the board would have to support lower voltages - otherwise you couldn't install the EE and EE/SFF CPUs which use a lower CPUvoltage (hence the lower power rating).
The board may support lower voltages, but that doesn't automatically mean they will be accessible in BIOS. A lot of cheap boards support CoolnQuiet, but have no voltage options in BIOS (lots of ECS board, PCChips, Jetway etc). It's quite annoying that Abit don't explicitly state the Vcore range in the manual. Still, all we really need is for someone who owns the board to say "Yes, it undervolts" or "No, it doesn't".

corevalue

Post by corevalue » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:02 pm

I just had a look at another Abit board, a K9, and in the BIOS there the minimum voltage offered to us was 1.5V with the old Athlon on that mobo. So, we installed CrystalCPUID, and just for fun, turned it down to 1.45 - we were offered all the way down to 0.8V. We then rebooted, and Crystal read back 1.45V. Not convinced, we installed CPU-Z, and that read back 1.45V too. So.....

The BIOS probably reads the CPU ID, and only offers you the recommended voltage range for that CPU. However, if you set Vcore with a 3rd party app such as Crystal, then it is saved in the flash. For you Linux guys, I see that Crystal has the source available.

I'll be getting one of these boards soon. I'll report back my findings.

simbloke

Post by simbloke » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:30 am

jaganath wrote:
the board would have to support lower voltages - otherwise you couldn't install the EE and EE/SFF CPUs which use a lower CPUvoltage (hence the lower power rating).
The board may support lower voltages, but that doesn't automatically mean they will be accessible in BIOS. A lot of cheap boards support CoolnQuiet, but have no voltage options in BIOS (lots of ECS board, PCChips, Jetway etc). It's quite annoying that Abit don't explicitly state the Vcore range in the manual. Still, all we really need is for someone who owns the board to say "Yes, it undervolts" or "No, it doesn't".
In an earlier post in this thread I gave the voltage ranges in the BIOS. The CPU voltage range starts at 1.35v.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:31 am

Thanks simbloke. I like to do most of my undervolting through BIOS, so that would rule out this Abit board for me, but there is still the possibility of software undervolting to explore (for those who are still interested in the board).

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:10 am

Is the only way to get low vcore on Linux without messing with the kernel to buy a 35w sempron?

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:42 am

I just ordered one. Couldn't hold myself :oops: Those Rubycons and the passive cooler looked so sexy! As I will run Linux on it (iptables, fileserver och browser etc) I went for the 35w Sempron (from dustinhome.se) which wasn't cheap.... :?

Komplett.se are really fast so it should be here 2morrow. :D

lavik

Post by lavik » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:17 am

As asked previous in the thread: Will a Scythe Ninja fit this board? It looks a bit cramped around the ram-slots...

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:35 pm

lavik wrote:As asked previous in the thread: Will a Scythe Ninja fit this board? It looks a bit cramped around the ram-slots...

Not sure....

I will fit a Hr-01 on it with a S-clip and use a fan duct. I already have one, as I will put an Ultra120 on the C2D. Then the Hr-01 is free and I can put it on my expensive Sempron. :)

The Hr-01 is really great and seems like the best cooler for this mobo. Don't forget the duct...

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:14 pm

As a previous poster noted, the lowest vcore limit in BIOS is apparently arbitrary, as the motherboard can technically reach lower voltages. With the right BIOS update, this can be corrected.

It's not too late to tell ABIT there are people out there who would be very pleased with the ability to undervolt with this board all the way to 0.8v. If enough people fill the form below they might eventually listen.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/contact/feedback.php

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:40 am

line wrote:As a previous poster noted, the lowest vcore limit in BIOS is apparently arbitrary, as the motherboard can technically reach lower voltages. With the right BIOS update, this can be corrected.

It's not too late to tell ABIT there are people out there who would be very pleased with the ability to undervolt with this board all the way to 0.8v. If enough people fill the form below they might eventually listen.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/contact/feedback.php

We have to talk to their wallets. Better bios => more sales.

jessie74

Post by jessie74 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Got the NF-M2 this past weekend, great board.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=135574