Skylake 15w itx

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

drkdick

Skylake 15w itx

Post by drkdick » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Anybody know if there will there be skylake-U (15W) consumer boards available anytime soon?

I'm currently running an atom ion 330 itx media system (with a DVB-C card) that's been my tv feeder for the past 5 years. It's time to upgrade to a modern architecture though and I need: low/capped power draw, 1 pci-e slot, sata connectios for OS drive, storage drive and bluray player, small form factor.

I've been waiting for this since they announced the skylake lineup earlier this year, but the only thing close I've seen is an industrial ITX board from DFI: su171/173. The target is a linux/kodi system with internal media storage and live TV (PVR) functionality through an internal PCI-e card..

nagi

Re: Skylake 15w itx

Post by nagi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:54 am

According to this 5 moth old leak, they should arrive Q1 2016, so in a couple months. This article is the official announcement of the U-series, but without date.

drkdick

Re: Skylake 15w itx

Post by drkdick » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:55 am

Well, most of the 15W TDP processors have already launched. You can buy notebooks and NUCs equiped with them (and some industrial motherboards like I mentioned)

The problem is they are BGA only (CPU soldered on). Unless some well known manufacturer starts building mITX boards with these CPUs there's no way for consumers to use them in custom builds. A shame, since I have a feeling they would be great in media centers.