New Silverstone MoDT case ML02

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frank2003

New Silverstone MoDT case ML02

Post by frank2003 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:13 am

Does anyone own this case?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 2&area=usa

It looks like an upgrade of the LC19 and can be used to make a drop-dead sexy HDTV HTPC using a mobile C2D or AM2. Note this case comes with a PCIx riser card, unlike the LC19 which only has a PCI riser.

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:36 am

One more thing: FWIW it supports the DTX form factor proposed by AMD. Not sure if DTX will take off or die a quiet death a la Intel's BTX.

fri2219

Post by fri2219 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 am

50 mm fans? Yuck.

Good luck on getting silent replacements for those...

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:44 pm

There's always FanMate! :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:58 am

Yeah, but 60mm fans barely move any air to begin with, let alone at lower voltages. I'd hate to think what would happen to a 50mm fan.

If you can get them quiet enough, small fans like that are ok for spot cooling, say a nasty-hot northbridge, but not for intaking or exhausting air out of a small case. I'd be better to make the case a little bigger, have some large intake area on the front (underside) of the case and have an thin 80mm exhaust fan drawing air out.

Of course, if you have a VERY low power system, you might be able to get by running the whole thing passively.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:57 am

I'm not sure why blower fans aren't used more often in cases like these. Not necessarily the small, loud variety in so many video cards, but the long squirrel cage kind. Like the cross-flow case fan from a while back.

I think I remember seeing one for a Silverstone mATX/SFF case, so Silverstone, of all companies, should be able to put them into greater operation.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:39 pm

Typically the "squirrel-cage" blower style isn't used in computers because they really need to run fast to move any decent amount of air due to the small length/pitch of each individual blade. That being said, the amount of air they do move has a considerable amount of pressure behind it, due to the amount of blades, which is why they work well in highly restrictive environments (think the HVAC in your car).

But you may be talking about the "slot-fan" that Bluefront devised, which would be a nice way of exhausting some air in a low-profile environment, and would definitely be the preferred way to go.

Y0ssar1an

Post by Y0ssar1an » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:40 pm

I wonder why the case is lifted off the ground by the loops at the front/back. Cosmetics? Surely it can't be for cooling - there's no vents underneath?

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:58 am

Just to confirm that my initial testing of a Brisbane X2 3600+ in my LC19 seems to be going quite well. The enclosure of the LC19 looks to be almost exactly the same dimensions as the ML02 though there are differences in the vents at the top. I also note on the Silverstone web site that a new version of the case, LC19R includes a PCI-x riser and a card reader as standard.

I've undervolted the Brisbane to 1.9GHz @ 1.0V and, running 2 instances of Prime95 overnight, Speedfan reports CPU temperature at 45 degrees Celsius and System temp around 41 degrees C. The only cooling in the system is the 80x15mm fan on my low-profile heatsink and this is undervolted to 5V - pushes about as much air as a mouse's fart! :)

Hopefully my Brisbane will also run stock speeds at 0.975 or even 0.95V - more testing required. I can see myself having a play with RMClock if I get the opportunity as well since I'll rarely need more than half the power this system can provide.

Very impressed with the Brisbane - I'd imagine an undervolted single-core Lima would use a miniscule amount of power.

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:47 am

The results are very promising. Any idea what the total power consumption is at the wall outlet under full load?

Encouraged by your initial results, I went ahead and ordered the Biostar 690G board and a Brisbane 4000+ (65W, 65nm, 2.1GHz @ 1.25V-1.35V, ADO4000DDBOX). I hope I will be able to undervolt/underclock it to obtain around 80-90W of total system power consumption under full load.

What do you think of the ML02? I'm torn between the zen-like LC19R and the flashier ML02 with the remote (I'm hoping the IR sensor is internal, not a USB dongle). I don't really care for the small LCD since I probably won't be able to read it from a distance of 10-ft anyway.

BTW you responded to the wrong thread. Hope the guys in the original thread (viewtopic.php?t=40593) are not turning blue waiting for your results! LOL!

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:04 am

I've now cut 'n' pasted my post to the other thread as well! :)

Unfortunately, I don't have any way of measuring load from the wall socket. It won't be very high though as my system has just 1GB memory and uses a 2.5" hard disk (and obviously a laptop DVD writer also). I use the integrated graphics and sound on my motherboard - no expansion cards. There is just space to add another 2.5" disk which I'll probably look into in the future (though I also have NAS).

I think the ML02 looks OK - not as 'reserved' as the LC19 but quite nicely styled and not too flashy. I also remain unconvinced about how much use the small LCD will be. I suppose the choice is up to you! One thing to bear in mind is that the LC19 appeared on the Silverstone web site several months before I could actually buy it here in the UK. As the ML02 has only just been announced it may be some time before you can buy one.

Looking at the on the Silverstone web site, it looks as though the internal layout between the two cases is slightly different, notably the hard disk/optical mounting mechanism. The mounting mech in the LC19 is a bit fiddly to install but ultimately works fine. I'd assume the mounting mech in the ML02 is similarly effective.

Looking at the picture of the Biostar motherboard I'd say the layout is somewhat better than my ASRock. As with my motherboard, the SATA and other headers are on the left-hand side of the board. Some of these are covered by the hard disk/optical disk mount on the LC19 but this isn't too much of a problem as you just attach the cables before installing the disk mount. The power socket on the Biostar will be right next to the PSU so you might have a problem with the length of the cable being a bit long. On my motherboard, the power socket was too far away and I had to buy a power cable extender! You'd probably be able to get around this problem with some cable-gami.

One thing - unless you're able to produce your own cables with required lengths, don't expect the inside of either of these cases to be in any way tidy! Mine is a complete tangle of cables crammed into any space available. Luckily, the low power nature of the system means that a lack of airflow isn't too much of a problem. The vents across the top of the case mean that all heat produced is able to escape easily. I wouldn't fancy trying to use either of these cases with discrete graphics cards however. I think that might just put a bit too much heat into the system.

One final thing about the LC19 - the hard disk access light is a blindingly bright blue LED! I think I'm going to have to cover it up or just detach the cable to the motherboard header as it's very distracting when flashing away showing disk access!

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 pm

This French site seems to suggest there's 60mm clearance for a low profile HSF: : http://www.presence-pc.com/actualite/SS ... one-23464/

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:06 am

If you look at the shot of the rear of the case, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of space around the 50mm fan mount so I can't see how there could be anywhere close to 60mm clearance.

Bear in mind that once you take into account the spacers screwed into the baseplate of the case and then attach the motherboard, you've automatically lost another 1cm or so of the height of the case. It's frustrating that no company seems to produce a case in which the enclosure itself is 7 or 8cm high as this would probably give the opportunity to fit in a larger heatsink for passive cooling whilst still remaining quite low profile.