D201gly2: product and SPCR review discussion

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

missilemike

Post by missilemike » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm

SixToes those temps still seem too high, given your cooling. Is this in a case when you get those temps?

Mine is 29c idle and 45c after 10 minutes of prime95.... But I have done the voltage pencil trick and it's currently not in a case.

Bathman

Post by Bathman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Could you tell us how to do the pencil mod or give a link to an explaination in english I cant understand german.

Master One

Post by Master One » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:23 am

If doing the pencil voltage trick, how can I check the resulting voltage, if I don't have any M$ operating system in use?

Is there any livecd with a tool to check that voltage?
Or any way to use a voltage-meter?

missilemike

Post by missilemike » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 am

The vmod is very, very simple...

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 616tv3.jpg

See the resistor in that picture that's circled in red? Just take an ordinary pencil, and scribble on that resistor- and make sure to do the sides of it too. It's small, so I used a magnifying glass. When you have thoroughly scribbled on it, blow off the excess graphite, making sure it isn't on anything it shouldn't be :) Within a couple tries, I was able to get 1.16v, just like the originator of the mod. I am seeing about a 5c decrease in temps because of it.

For measuring it, I use cpu-z in Windows. Speedfan also shows the voltage. I do not know what tools can show vmod in linux.

EDIT: The bios shows the vcore voltage I think in the HW Monitor section.

Shade00

Post by Shade00 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 am

Bathman wrote:I dont think you will have any look accelerating h264 with a Nvidia 6200. However a PCI ATI2400 Pro would probapbly work and I was gobsmacked when I found a site selling them.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139026

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/produc ... uctID=1715

Who needs PCI Express !!!
That's amazing! Now if only I could find a US supplier. Yahoo came up with an old page for Ewiz.com, but the product is no longer listed on their website.

Master One

Post by Master One » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 am

missilemike wrote:The bios shows the vcore voltage I think in the HW Monitor section.
Unfortunately the HW Monitor in BIOS only shows V12.0 / V3.3 / V1.5 / Vccp, and Vccp did not change when fiddling with that resistor, so I guess those are just values from the power supply, not the needed Vcore.

SixToes

Temperatures

Post by SixToes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm

missilemike wrote:SixToes those temps still seem too high, given your cooling. Is this in a case when you get those temps?

Mine is 29c idle and 45c after 10 minutes of prime95.... But I have done the voltage pencil trick and it's currently not in a case.
That's measured out of a case, exactly as shown in the picture on the previous page. I ran the Prime95 Blend torture test until the temperatures stabilised which took about an hour. The temperatures are as reported by Speedfan, and during the test the heatsinks were very hot to touch (although not as hot as the originals were). I'll try the pencil mod, but I'll be surprised if it yields a drop of more than 5 degrees or so.

Any chance of you uploading a pic of your setup? I'd like to see exactly how your fan is mounted. :D

Master One

Post by Master One » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 am

Bathman wrote:However a PCI ATI2400 Pro would probapbly work and I was gobsmacked when I found a site selling them. http://www.powercolor.com/Global/produc ... uctID=1715 Who needs PCI Express !!!
Wow, that must be the most powerful graphics card for the PCI slot, and I even found a local supplier (although it's not really cheap, compared to recent PCI-Express or AGP cards).

And a D201GLY2 + hdd + Powercolor HD 2400 Pro PCI really consumes less than 70W total? Then it would even be compatible with a picoPSU-90 :)

Shade00

Post by Shade00 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

Master One wrote:
Bathman wrote:However a PCI ATI2400 Pro would probapbly work and I was gobsmacked when I found a site selling them. http://www.powercolor.com/Global/produc ... uctID=1715 Who needs PCI Express !!!
Wow, that must be the most powerful graphics card for the PCI slot, and I even found a local supplier (although it's not really cheap, compared to recent PCI-Express or AGP cards).

And a D201GLY2 + hdd + Powercolor HD 2400 Pro PCI really consumes less than 70W total? Then it would even be compatible with a picoPSU-90 :)
Unfortunately PCI cards are never comparable in price to PCI Express or AGP. The Powercolor PCI X1300 (which may still be the most powerful PCI card) runs over $100, while its PCI Express version is $20.

You're lucky if you have a supplier - I can't find anyone in the states.

Master One

Post by Master One » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:43 am

I also found a Zotac GeForce 5200 256MB, which is about 1/5th cheaper than the Powercolor, but the HD 2400 Pro would definitely be first choice.

But that's not my major concern right now, because I am still searching for a proper CPU cooler replacement. My problem is, it can only be max. 45 mm (= 1.77 inch) high, but could extend over the mainboard's rim in the open direction for about 30 mm (= 1.18 inch).

Can anybody tell, if you can bend a cooler with heatpipes, to make it fit?

If I only could manufacture my own custom CPU Cooler... ;)

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:35 am

Hrmm.. do you think one of these might work with the existing D201GLY2 mounting mechanism? Hard to tell what the fin spacing is on the first/

Heatsink1

Heatsink2

Master One

Post by Master One » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:01 am

sea2stars wrote:Hrmm.. do you think one of these might work with the existing D201GLY2 mounting mechanism? Hard to tell what the fin spacing is on the first/
Heatsink1
Heatsink2
Both would definitely fit, and mounting would also be no problem. The first one is actually not from Psile, but from Nexustek. The problem is the weight, because it has 265 g, and I think this is just too heavy for the two little mounting loops on the mainboard (compare that to the 50 g of the NorthQ aluminium cooler, or the 135 g of the copper version). I'd say, that ever cooler, that comes with a backplate (which can not be used, due to the missing mounting holes in the mainboard), is a no go because of the weight.

Finding a better CPU cooler is really tough for that board, just because it has no socket and uses a mounting mechanism mainly found for northbridge coolers.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 am

Well.. there are plenty of places that offer a variety of heat sinks. You could probably even get a free sample or two out of a few places.

A quick search on Goolge for "custom heatsink" brought up a bevy of links.

Just a few:

Alpha Novatech

Aavid Thermalloy

Cooliance

Bathman

Post by Bathman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:09 am

missilemike

Thanks for the Vmod pencil trick. Works like a charm - and without any scientific proof I think it has dropped my temps by more than 5 degress celsius. I only which I good drop it further. Why on earth did intel set the voltage to high in the first place especially when the used such a crappy heat sink?

SixToes

Voltage mod

Post by SixToes » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:21 am

Why on earth did intel set the voltage to high in the first place especially when the used such a crappy heat sink?
I think because the system isn't 100% stable at maximum load at lower voltages. I've been experimenting, and on my board the system isn't Prime stable below about 1.30 volts.

Below 1.2v it will lock up after one to three hours of Prime 95.
Below 1.3v it will lock up after eight to twelve hours or Prime 95.

Prime is about the hardest test you can do and I know most machines never have to deal with this sort of load, but I'm using the machine as a server so it has to be rock solid for week after week of 24/7 operation.

pixelhack

D201GLY temperature

Post by pixelhack » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi all,

This is my first time running a low power motherboard and I'm curious about what a "normal" temperature would be for this kind of rig. Also, at what temperature should I become worried. I notice that in this thread that some people have tested the D201GLY2 at very high temperatures.

At idle I am at a system and CPU temperature are 34C and 44C. Under load the system and CPU temperatures are 38C and 55C.

I just bought a D201GLY2, so I'll have some observations on that board soon too.

Cheers, Jeff

tuneable

Post by tuneable » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Funny little board. I have it running with a picoPSU-120-WI25V and a Nexus 80mm fan. I admit, I could not handle the thrill running it at 75+ degrees even without case. :lol:

Perhaps you can help me with the following questions:

Dual riser? I found one on the web and wondered if it is not too good to be true, (just google "D201GLY2 dual riser"). Anyone with experience?

"This VIA dual riser enables two PCI card to be fitted horizontally, away from the motherboard. (Intel D201GLY, D201GLY2)"

2. At the moment I need to disconnect the DC-powerplug to poweroff and I wondered if this problem is related to the use of Ubuntu 7.10, and if so, if there is a workaround.
So, how exactly can I make the power-on/off via the motherboard work with this pico-PSU combo?

zistu

Post by zistu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:56 pm

On the powerbutton: I'm running Ubuntu on it myself, but only the server version. Managed to enable the powerbutton by following the instructions in the last post on this page.

Not sure if it will work for the desktop version too, haven't tried that personally, but I think it will.

Hope it helps.

Hemin

Post by Hemin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:30 am

Hi,

I recently bought this mobo on ebay (2 days ago), I installed windows XP, without any problem, updated the drivers, and finally i update de BIOS, with the intel software for windows, restart Windows and.... tachan... the mobo isn't able to boot.

I have removed the cmos battery following the intel documentation, with no success.

I tried the CDROM recovery metod, with diferent types of CD-R's without success.

So now i have a pretty useless mini-itx mobo...

Anybody can help me?

Thank you

stigmata

Post by stigmata » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:09 am

Houston, we have a problem!

Got this mobo yesterday, and I'm trying to start it up... but no success.
I've got 1GB DDR2 533mhz CL4, a 90W PicoPSU and a 84W AC adapter.
Everything comes from the same store.

The mobo itself seems to start, as heatsinks get hot, leds blink on the NIC and on the keyboard... but I've got no video out. I've used the onboard video and a PCI card, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions before asking RMA?

Thankyou!

tuneable

Post by tuneable » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:39 am

zistu wrote:On the powerbutton: I'm running Ubuntu on it myself, but only the server version. Managed to enable the powerbutton by following the instructions in the last post on this page.

Not sure if it will work for the desktop version too, haven't tried that personally, but I think it will.

Hope it helps.
Great! Thanks for the link. I'll try it tonight and post the results.

On the other topic: I phoned the shop for the Dual Riser card and got confirmed it works for the D201GLY2. The sales person claimed it should have enough bandwidth for a graphics card and audio card. We'll see - if I can get one shipped to Switzerland, I'll let you know.
Last edited by tuneable on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 am

stigmata wrote:Houston, we have a problem!

The mobo itself seems to start, as heatsinks get hot, leds blink on the NIC and on the keyboard... but I've got no video out. I've used the onboard video and a PCI card, but nothing happens.

Thankyou!
Definitely RMA. I had the same problem on a different motherboard, and RMA fixed it. Nothing else worked.

Hemin

Post by Hemin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:48 am

stigmata wrote:Houston, we have a problem!

Thankyou!
I got the same sintoms, the mobo green led power on, the leds blink on the NIC....

Seems that this is not a and wrong bios update as I supose...

stigmata

Post by stigmata » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 am

I asked for RMA, I'm waiting for instructions.
Just hope to get a working mobo soon. :)

pixelhack

Post by pixelhack » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 am

Hemin wrote:Hi,

I recently bought this mobo on ebay (2 days ago), I installed windows XP, without any problem, updated the drivers, and finally i update de BIOS, with the intel software for windows, restart Windows and.... tachan... the mobo isn't able to boot.

I have removed the cmos battery following the intel documentation, with no success.

I tried the CDROM recovery metod, with diferent types of CD-R's without success.

Anybody can help me?

Thank you
I had the same problem which was fixed by replacing my KVR533D2/1GR ram with KVR667D2N5/1G. I have since patched my BIOS from version 0133 to 0137, but haven't checked to see if my old ram works now. Version 0134 "Fixed issue where certain memory modules caused instability".

Hemin

Post by Hemin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 am

pixelhack wrote:

Anybody can help me?

Thank you
I had the same problem which was fixed by replacing my KVR533D2/1GR ram with KVR667D2N5/1G. I have since patched my BIOS from version 0133 to 0137, but haven't checked to see if my old ram works now. Version 0134 "Fixed issue where certain memory modules caused instability".
I have exactly this type of ram KVR667D2N5/1G, i will try with another kind of ram, but the mobo boots OK until i uptade the bios to 0137...

Shade00

Post by Shade00 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Looks like the 2400 PCI is finally available here in the states.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PC-P2400PR
$66 + ~ $10 shipping (for me)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131082
$64.99 + $4.99 shipping - $10 rebate

I'm going to order one and give it a go. I want to see if I can play HD-DVDs. :-)

tuneable

Post by tuneable » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Shade00 wrote: I'm going to order one and give it a go. I want to see if I can play HD-DVDs. :-)
Same here, ordered one this afternoon, :wink:

On the poweroff thing in Ubuntu... ACPI/ACPID re-installed, changed scripts, but still no 'real' poweroff.. After "# poweroff" and the normal shutdown sequence everything just stays powered on, including screen, disk and fan and the power-switch has no effect, only reset works. :roll:

Just from a mechanical point of view: the powerswitch on a ATX works with a momentary closure of the motherboards "front panel on/off" header pins, right?

zistu

Post by zistu » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm

tuneable wrote:On the poweroff thing in Ubuntu... ACPI/ACPID re-installed, changed scripts, but still no 'real' poweroff.. After "# poweroff" and the normal shutdown sequence everything just stays powered on, including screen, disk and fan and the power-switch has no effect, only reset works. :roll:

Just from a mechanical point of view: the powerswitch on a ATX works with a momentary closure of the motherboards "front panel on/off" header pins, right?
What happens if you do a "sudo shutdown now -h" ?

In my case Ubuntu nicely closes down, and the machine powers off as soon as that finishes. This same command is used by the ACPID if I remember correct.

As for the PSU, I do believe the PSU has to have some kind of support for this feature. I'm using a Corsair HX450 for the system myself. I've got no clue what standard would cover this behavior though, sorry.

Hemin

Post by Hemin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Hemin wrote:
pixelhack wrote:

Anybody can help me?

Thank you
I have exactly this type of ram KVR667D2N5/1G, i will try with another kind of ram, but the mobo boots OK until i uptade the bios to 0137...
Finally i talked with intel an they said that the mobo is damaged...